Josh McPake being tracked by Ireland - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Josh McPake being tracked by Ireland

The_Dark_Knight

10 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

Haha why the distinction between granny and grandpa? 

It's impossible for a Scottish Granny to have a child that is not Scottish. How ever the same can not be said about a Scottish Grandpa who appears to have a Scottish child.

Of course it would need to be a mothers mother to be sure of of the lineage but as I am implementing a two strikes and your out system just to the let Grannies on your fathers side of the hook if they had an off night at a party or something

*Pone number provided at end of programme for those  affected by this post.

The moral of  the story is the blood is strong and you cannae shove your Granny of a bus

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

It's impossible for a Scottish Granny to have a child that is not Scottish. How ever the same can not be said about a Scottish Grandpa who appears to have a Scottish child.

Of course it would need to be a mothers mother to be sure of of the lineage but as I am implementing a two strikes and your out system just to the let Grannies on your fathers side of the hook if they had an off night at a party or something

The moral of  the story is the blood is strong and you cannae shove your Granny of a bus

Hahaha I'm now further from the truth I think. 

7 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Hahaha I'm now further from the truth I think. 

My personal criteria would need you have been born north of Perth or maybe Stirling and south of the Shetlands and probably Orkney, have a clan name, proper tartan and a grave stone at the proper end of Culloden which is  a shame being a Macleod. Oh and get rid of the Mc's it's Mac.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

My personal criteria would need you have been born north of Perth or maybe Stirling and south of the Shetlands and probably Orkney, have a clan name, proper tartan and a grave stone at the proper end of Culloden which is  a shame being a Macleod. Oh and get rid of the Mc's it's Mac.

Dammit, I came so close to qualifying. It's a shame you've ruled out Scotland's biggest footballing city. Would definitely qualify via my MacKinnon mother from the Hebrides. Having watched Gregory's Girl more than once should also be on the list of criteria. Maybe you also have to love a half pizza super?

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

So if we apply the "Cannae shove  yer granny aff the bus" qualification criteria, you could qualify on your maternal line but not the paternal line as "you can shove yer ither granny, as she's yer daddy's mammy".

Am I right in that.  Surely that should apply for Women's football but for men's football it would be the paternal line.  That seem more logical to me 

The day that we promote a player to full or under 21 level in order to stave off the might of Ireland is the day that we should pack it in.

McPake hasn't done anything to justify an Under 21 call up. I have a feeling that Ireland will give his agent a call in the next day or so. If he turns out for Ireland then fair enough and good luck to him.

2 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

Dammit, I came so close to qualifying. It's a shame you've ruled out Scotland's biggest footballing city. Would definitely qualify via my MacKinnon mother from the Hebrides. Having watched Gregory's Girl more than once should also be on the list of criteria. Maybe you also have to love a half pizza super?

Let you off if your a right back.

Edited by ceudmilefailte

1 hour ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Not in the U21 squad. A mistake?

Has a squad been named?

32 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I don’t think he’s done enough to earn it.

No, but nor had McTominay when we called him up.

Don't really think results in under's games matter, so call up any one with any potential 

2 hours ago, aaid said:

So if we apply the "Cannae shove  yer granny aff the bus" qualification criteria, you could qualify on your maternal line but not the paternal line as "you can shove yer ither granny, as she's yer daddy's mammy".

Am I right in that.  Surely that should apply for Women's football but for men's football it would be the paternal line.  That seem more logical to me 

I think you can shove your other granny of the bus as she is not Scottish it is her husband that is therefor you cannot prove the paternal line 

Edited by ceudmilefailte

3 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

The day that we promote a player to full or under 21 level in order to stave off the might of Ireland is the day that we should pack it in.

McPake hasn't done anything to justify an Under 21 call up. I have a feeling that Ireland will give his agent a call in the next day or so. If he turns out for Ireland then fair enough and good luck to him.

Are you kidding? Even England, Spain & other countries far far better than us do this. 

Yes our routine is so tried and tested let’s persist with it. 

17 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Are you kidding? Even England, Spain & other countries far far better than us do this. 

Yes our routine is so tried and tested let’s persist with it. 

Yes, Spain, England and other countries far far better than us do it because they have players who are far far better than ours.

I doubt very much that McPake is any better than the players already called up.

And gold star for missing my point. A player shouldn't be called off to warn off another nation. If the lad gets peeved by this "snub" and decides to choose Ireland then the very best of luck to him.

2 hours ago, bookerman said:

How old is he 17 ?

Would expect him to called up to the next under 19 sqaud when ever that is.

We play Japan at the start of next month, so it should be soon, maybe this week. If it's good enough for Billy Gilmour....

It'll be interesting if he's in Ireland's U21s.

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

It's really getting ridiculous now.

Of our current youngsters ROI are trying to steal Michael Johnston and Josh McPake.

I wonder who it'll be next. I'd be shocked if they hadn't looked into the lineage of Liam Morrison and Billy Gilmour.

Johnston seems committed to Scotland.

2 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

1031860653_Screenshot2019-08-20at20_10_50.png.43d4a758326c72a04c0c4c6fb1663a85.png

hmmmmm

If you look really carefully you can see that the flag has a big Celtic FC badge on it. You can see it in the footage of teams celebrating.

Nothing to worry about although admittedly it wasn't a particularly tactful decision by Johnston to pull it on.

His instagram has a lot of photos of him with the Scotland youth teams, he seems to enjoy playing for Scotland.

If he wanted to play for Ireland he'd have switched by now.

It's really getting ridiculous now.

Of our current youngsters ROI are trying to steal Michael Johnston and Josh McPake.

I wonder who it'll be next. I'd be shocked if they hadn't looked into the lineage of Liam Morrison and Billy Gilmour.

Still have an account on the COYBIG forum, so i went for a look. 9 feckin pages on Johnston! :lol:

https://forum.ybig.ie/mikey-johnston-celtic-fc_topic55302_page1.html

11 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Still have an account on the COYBIG forum, so i went for a look. 9 feckin pages on Johnston! :lol:

This forum is just as bad, two threads devoted to an apparent lack of "Scotishness" of a couple of players, snowballing into half a dozen more no doubt.

Should just have the one thread with an if you don't like players because of were their grannies came from theme. It could cover both Scotsmen with Irish grannies and Englishmen with Scottish Grannies.

To the majority of young Celtic fans and players the tricolour is a Celtic flag.

Interesting that both threads were started by the same person. The same person who felt the need to say that he would not call Michael Johnstone Mickey

1 hour ago, Dave78 said:

It's really weird.

If the FAI put as much effort into nurturing their own kids rather than trawling through ancestry.co uk I'm sure they'd be able to produce a few decent players that are actually of Irish descent.

If Johnston or McPake choose Ireland then fair enough. Ultimately it's their lives. The issue that I have with it is McPake is just out of school and the FAI are in his agent's ear, pressuring him to decide which international team he wants to play for. 

It's immoral.