Josh McPake being tracked by Ireland - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Josh McPake being tracked by Ireland

The_Dark_Knight

Reads like a nothing story really. No quotes. Light on detail, heavy on speculation.

But as you said earlier (and i agree), Ireland monitor these guys, and use a - to use former Ireland manager Brian Kerr's word - "predatory" recruitment policy.

53 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Reads like a nothing story really. No quotes. Light on detail, heavy on speculation.

But as you said earlier (and i agree), Ireland monitor these guys, and use a - to use former Ireland manager Brian Kerr's word - "predatory" recruitment policy.

I could totally believe it to true, though. Which makes me wonder, do Irish clubs even have youth systems?

Totally. "Predatory" is pretty much the word i'd use. I wonder if Liam Morrison has Irish lineage. If he does I suppose we'll find out sooner or later.

8 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I could totally believe it to true, though. Which makes me wonder, do Irish clubs even have youth systems?

Totally. "Predatory" is pretty much the word i'd use. I wonder if Liam Morrison has Irish lineage. If he does I suppose we'll find out sooner or later.

They have youth systems, aye, but the lads with real potential move to England as teenagers.

However, i'd take the 11 Irishmen of Dundalk to beat Aberdeen any day. It's a shame they never met in the Europa qualifiers. 

Source for the Kerr quote:

"I feel it is unfair, seedy and predatory to have such a policy towards a neighbour. Just imagine if the boot was on the other foot."

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/fai-s-policy-of-recruiting-ni-players-is-wrong-1.630456

1 hour ago, Dave78 said:

They have youth systems, aye, but the lads with real potential move to England as teenagers.

However, i'd take the 11 Irishmen of Dundalk to beat Aberdeen any day. It's a shame they never met in the Europa qualifiers. 

Source for the Kerr quote:

"I feel it is unfair, seedy and predatory to have such a policy towards a neighbour. Just imagine if the boot was on the other foot."

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/fai-s-policy-of-recruiting-ni-players-is-wrong-1.630456

I can understand why they do it. I mean, with such a poor (in terms of finance) football nation I get why they'd want to cast their net as wide as they can, but they must question the allegiance of a player who would ditch the country of their birth.

Kevin Kilbane nailed it a while ago when he pretty much slaughtered the lights of Declan Rice for using Ireland to get themselves in the shop window. Kilbane was born in England but he was always going to play for Iteland.

With us it's gotten so bad that maybe we should do the same. Trouble is, when do it it's usually an English born player, and let's be honest, most players, if they have the choice of us or England, are going to choose England.

McTominay is an exception to the rule. McTominay is good enough to start for England, never mind being called up for them. There's no doubt that he's let his heart rule his head, and for that we should all be grateful. If continues his rate of progress (this time last season most United fans predicted that he'd leave in the next year or so) then we'll have some player on our hands.

Good article.

More clickbait nonsense from the Record.

Probably planted by his agent to try and get a call up for Scotland.

Does anyone really think that someone is going to seriously advise a 17 year old kid at Rangers that the best thing for his career would be to choose the ROI and be hated by a section of both your club's and national team's support.

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

Does anyone really think that someone is going to seriously advise a 17 year old kid at Rangers that the best thing for his career would be to choose the ROI and be hated by a section of both your club's and national team's support.

I dont thinks it's hard to believe the FAI have made contact but I agreed with your last sentence. Choosing ROI whilst at ranger wouldn't be the wisest of moves

32 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I dont thinks it's hard to believe the FAI have made contact but I agreed with your last sentence. Choosing ROI whilst at ranger wouldn't be the wisest of moves

There may well have been a phone call but put it this way, I doubt the source of the story - assuming there is one - would be the FAI or Rangers.

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

It would be good to see McPake make some progress, u19s is probably about right. He is somewhat reminiscent of Brian Laudrup in the way he ghosts past players. Physically they are quite alike too. No pressure then.

So he's the next laudrup, lucky us or Ireland.

4 hours ago, aaid said:

That may be but it's time that we stopped this grandparent nonsense for good. Last thing we need is another Aidan McGeady.

3 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Maybe you should need two grandparents to make the claim? 

I don't think FIFA get to decide whose allowed to be a citizen of every country in rhe world, which is the primary qualification to be able to international football for a country. 

Just now, aaid said:

I don't think FIFA get to decide whose allowed to be a citizen of every country in rhe world, which is the primary qualification to be able to international football for a country. 

Obviously the “home” nations are different as they agree their own criteria.  I don’t suppose we can stop Ireland taking our players if their constitution says grandparents is enough for citizenship. 

Genuine question : are McGeady, McCarthy and Houghton actually Irish citizens, or is it enough that they’re eligible?

3 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Obviously the “home” nations are different as they agree their own criteria.  I don’t suppose we can stop Ireland taking our players if their constitution says grandparents is enough for citizenship. 

Genuine question : are McGeady, McCarthy and Houghton actually Irish citizens, or is it enough that they’re eligible?

They would have passports issued by the country they're playing for, in this case the Republic of Ireland.  

I can't remember the player involved but there was a problem with one of our players who turned up for a home game without their passport and the SFA had to send a courier to wherever to pick it up.  FIFA/UEFA physically check player's passports to ensure they are eligible.

The reason FIFA extended the eligibility rules was off the backs of countries like the ROI who will give citizenship based on one grandparent.  It was an attempt to level the playing field.