The Scottish Challenge Cup - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Scottish Challenge Cup

Some interesting ties in the 3rd round draw

Most notably a trip to Northern Ireland for Rangers Colts and Cove Rangers visit European power houses Connahs Quay Nomads

Full draw here

Connah’s Quay Nomads vs Cove Rangers
Stenhousemuir vs The New Saints
Waterford vs Hearts Colts
Airdrie vs Bohemians
Wrexham vs Ayr United
Kelty Hearts vs Solihull Moors
Ballymena United vs Rangers Colts
Formartine United vs Glenavon
Inverness Caley Thistle vs Greenock Morton
Montrose vs Partick Thistle
St Mirren Colts vs Stirling Albion
Dundee United vs Arbroath
Clyde vs Queen of the South
Raith Rovers vs Falkirk
Dundee vs Elgin City
Dunfermline Athletic vs Alloa Athletic

18 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Some interesting ties in the 3rd round draw

Most notably a trip to Northern Ireland for Rangers Colts and Cove Rangers visit European power houses Connahs Quay Nomads

Full draw here

Connah’s Quay Nomads vs Cove Rangers
Stenhousemuir vs The New Saints
Waterford vs Hearts Colts
Airdrie vs Bohemians
Wrexham vs Ayr United
Kelty Hearts vs Solihull Moors
Ballymena United vs Rangers Colts
Formartine United vs Glenavon
Inverness Caley Thistle vs Greenock Morton
Montrose vs Partick Thistle
St Mirren Colts vs Stirling Albion
Dundee United vs Arbroath
Clyde vs Queen of the South
Raith Rovers vs Falkirk
Dundee vs Elgin City
Dunfermline Athletic vs Alloa Athletic

😂😂

Genuinely disappointed that TNS didn't draw Wrexham.

Then you would've had an English club representing a Welsh league playing a Welsh club representing an English League in a Scottish competition.

That would have summed up exactly how ridiculous this competition has become.

My team, Stenhousemuir, been drawn against a club from the Welsh league - though I believe they are English. After the Edinburgh City win the other night the manager said he didn't mind playing one of the non-Scottish teams but would want it to be a home tie. Pleased to be at home but I agree with the sentiment that this tournament has been turned into something of a farce.

Is the argument agains the new format simply - its should just be scottish teams?

I honestly don't see any problems with it.  Being a fan of Fraserburgh and previously following that team  all over the place, I loved the big away days. We had one in recent years to Stenhousmuir in the Scottish cup which we narrowly lost.

1 hour ago, morrie21 said:

My team, Stenhousemuir, been drawn against a club from the Welsh league - though I believe they are English. After the Edinburgh City win the other night the manager said he didn't mind playing one of the non-Scottish teams but would want it to be a home tie. Pleased to be at home but I agree with the sentiment that this tournament has been turned into something of a farce.

54 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Is the argument agains the new format simply - its should just be scottish teams?

I honestly don't see any problems with it.  Being a fan of Fraserburgh and previously following that team  all over the place, I loved the big away days. We had one in recent years to Stenhousmuir in the Scottish cup which we narrowly lost.

For me yes. It is a Scottish tournament. The idea of Colt teams from the Premiership taking part should also get binned. No issue with Highland League or Lowland League teams being included - that adds a far more interesting layer to the competition than Welsh, Irish or Colt teams ever will. 

52 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

For me yes. It is a Scottish tournament. The idea of Colt teams from the Premiership taking part should also get binned. No issue with Highland League or Lowland League teams being included - that adds a far more interesting layer to the competition than Welsh, Irish or Colt teams ever will. 

I agree on the colts teams but no issues with irish and Welsh teams. A nice trip.to be had for the supporters

9 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I agree on the colts teams but no issues with irish and Welsh teams. A nice trip.to be had for the supporters

Nah it’s a complete farce. Bohemians called off their game with East Fife in Ireland minutes before ko last season, then couldn’t fulfil the rearranged fixture. Complete waste of time and money for the club and fans of East Fife (even though they got a bye). 

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

Nah it’s a complete farce. Bohemians called off their game with East Fife in Ireland minutes before ko last season, then couldn’t fulfil the rearranged fixture. Complete waste of time and money for the club and fans of East Fife (even though they got a bye). 

That's an isolated incident and one that could have been avoided.

Incidents like that have happened before in scottish football. 

Connah’s Quay Nomads 
The New Saints
Waterford
Bohemians

Ayr United
Solihull Moors
Rangers Colts
Glenavon
Inverness Caley Thistle 
Partick Thistle
Stirling Albion
Dundee United 
Queen of the South
Raith Rovers
Dundee 
Dunfermline Athletic 

My prediction for last 16. 

On 8/14/2019 at 4:37 PM, aaid said:

Genuinely disappointed that TNS didn't draw Wrexham.

Then you would've had an English club representing a Welsh league playing a Welsh club representing an English League in a Scottish competition.

That would have summed up exactly how ridiculous this competition has become.

The non Scottish teams were in a different pot so they wouldn't play each other in this round.

I actually quite like the format with the Irish and Welsh teams.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2019 at 7:25 AM, EddardStark said:

Connah’s Quay Nomads 
The New Saints
Waterford
Bohemians

Ayr United
Solihull Moors
Rangers Colts
Glenavon
Inverness Caley Thistle 
Partick Thistle
Stirling Albion
Dundee United 
Queen of the South
Raith Rovers
Dundee 
Dunfermline Athletic 

My prediction for last 16. 

Ayr have 3 starters away with Scotland u21's that weekend and will also make a few other changes I think so wouldn't be surprised to see Wrexham beat us. 

As for the competition itself, i'm mainly just bitter that after a couple of years of praying for a boozy away trip to one of the non Scottish teams, we finally get one and i'm flying away on holiday the same day so canny go!