Kieran Tierney's lack of commitment towards Scotland - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Kieran Tierney's lack of commitment towards Scotland

The_Dark_Knight

4 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

but is he a better centre half than what we currently have?

I'm really starting to think KT at CB is the way forward. We need a really strong footballer and leader in there more than at RB. I'm really interested to see what Clarke decides. I hope it's not bench. 

22 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

I'm really starting to think KT at CB is the way forward. We need a really strong footballer and leader in there more than at RB. I'm really interested to see what Clarke decides. I hope it's not bench. 

I have to agree. People will point to his height (or lack thereof) but it's not like he's a Smurf. He's the same height as Puyol and taller than Cannavaro and Baresi... Those three did alright for themselves.

1 hour ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I have to agree. People will point to his height (or lack thereof) but it's not like he's a Smurf. He's the same height as Puyol and taller than Cannavaro and Baresi... Those three did alright for themselves.

Yeah, I'm not sure his height is much of a problem at all. After all, he did just smash the current squad record for vertical jump at Arsenal! 

3 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Those three - well certainly the last two were genuine world class players, so surely you aren't comparing Tierney to them.

Tierney's not small, 5'10" I think.   The issue with height isn't so much him alone but the overall balance in the team.   

Say you have Tierney as a full back and Centre back that 6"3, e.g. Christoph Berra then that's pretty good for set pieces, both attacking and defending.

If you put Tierney in as a CB and have someone play at full back who's say 5'7.   That's not going to be a big problem for the right back, but you've lost 8 inches for someone defending a corner or whatever.

Mouriho always has at least 5 outfield players who are at least 6 feet for this exact reason.

1 minute ago, aaid said:

Those three - well certainly the last two were genuine world class players, so surely you aren't comparing Tierney to them.

Tierney's not small, 5'10" I think.   The issue with height isn't so much him alone but the overall balance in the team.   

Say you have Tierney as a full back and Centre back that 6"3, e.g. Christoph Berra then that's pretty good for set pieces, both attacking and defending.

If you put Tierney in as a CB and have someone play at full back who's say 5'7.   That's not going to be a big problem for the right back, but you've lost 8 inches for someone defending a corner or whatever.

Mouriho always has at least 5 outfield players who are at least 6 feet for this exact reason.

Nope. I'm not comparing them. The only thing that those two have in common with Kieran Tierney is that all three are homosapien. ;)

We're so short (excuse the pun) in the area of center backs I'd definitely consider playing Tierney in the middle, but only if it's a three. We are so bereft in the middle that our only way of getting anything from anyone is by congesting the middle of the park.

9 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Nope. I'm not comparing them. The only thing that those two have in common with Kieran Tierney is that all three are homosapien. ;)

We're so short (excuse the pun) in the area of center backs I'd definitely consider playing Tierney in the middle, but only if it's a three. We are so bereft in the middle that our only way of getting anything from anyone is by congesting the middle of the park.

What about playing the Scottish Beckebauer, Mc Tominey, there?

Edited by aaid

2 hours ago, aaid said:

What about playing the Scottish Beckebauer, Mc Tominey, there?

He hasn't the defensive capabilities of playing as a center back or as an anchorman.

He's best when he has the shackles off when he can stretch his legs and bomb forward with the ball. God knows we're limited enough in midfield without playing our only good midfielder at the back.

13 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

He hasn't the defensive capabilities of playing as a center back or as an anchorman.

He's best when he has the shackles off when he can stretch his legs and bomb forward with the ball. God knows we're limited enough in midfield without playing our only good midfielder at the back.

Centre midfield is probably the one position where we do have a surplus of good players.

1 minute ago, aaid said:

Centre midfield is probably the one position where we do have a surplus of good players.

I rate McTominay highly, but I wouldn't say that he's better than good at this point.

Christie, McLean, Armstrong, McGregor, etc, are all average. None of them have won anything of note or done anything worthy of being classed as good. I mean, just a few days ago McGregor and Christie were bitch-slapped by a little Romanian team. Yes, they do well in the SPL, but that doesn't really mean a great deal.

He's regarded as a first team player in a club that's bigger than the clubs that our other midfielders are playing for combined.

But apart from that...

Plus he's the only the only midfielder we have that's still in European competition. Apart from the incredible Ryan Jack...

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

6 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

He's regarded as a first team player in a club that's bigger than the clubs that our other midfielders are playing for combined.

But apart from that...

Plus he's the only the only midfielder we have that's still in European competition. Apart from the incredible Ryan Jack...

Playing in one of the worst Man Utd teams in recent years who are only in European competition by virtue of the fact they haven't played any matches yet thanks to the overall co-efficient for England.

10 minutes ago, aaid said:

Playing in one of the worst Man Utd teams in recent years who are only in European competition by virtue of the fact they haven't played any matches yet thanks to the overall co-efficient for England.

None of our other midfielders could even make the bench of one of the worst Man United teams in recent years.

Not everyone's impressed by a hat trick against St Johnstone, etc.

Let me break it down:

Our central midfielders play for Norwich, Celtic, Sheffield United, Aston Villa.

These are average teams. Usually when you look at an average team, it's full of average players. People talk about our midfielders as if they play for Inter Milan, Barcelona, Juventus, etc. :lol:

Re: The comments by the previous two posters

I find it so strange that a youngster - who is now considered a first team regular at perhaps the biggest club in the world - is being derided and disrespected.

This is a lad who turned down England, that alone should make him a national treasure. This is a lad who has thrown away a chance to play at a World Cup and European Championships.

I question the agenda and intelligence of some people in this place. I really do.

2 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

But apart from that...

There might be a couple of Celtic players playing in Europe this Thursday unless you know better ?

9 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Re: The comments by the previous two posters

I find it so strange that a youngster - who is now considered a first team regular at perhaps the biggest club in the world - is being derided and disrespected.

This is a lad who turned down England, that alone should make him a national treasure. This is a lad who has thrown away a chance to play at a World Cup and European Championships.

I question the agenda and intelligence of some people in this place. I really do.

The only disrespect i see is you towards the Scottish based players. 

McTominay is a good player with potential to be something more. 

2 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Only in your head 

Really?

Which part of  "Our central midfielders play for Norwich, Celtic, Sheffield United, Aston Villa" Did you miss read?

But yeah, what's McTominay won, right? What's a 22 year old lad that's now a first pick for Manchester United won?

I'll tell you, two seasons in the Manchester United first team is a far bigger achievement than the trophy haul of McGregor and Christie.

2 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Really?

Which part of  "Our central midfielders play for Norwich, Celtic, Sheffield United, Aston Villa" Did you miss read?

But yeah, what's McTominay won, right? What's a 22 year old lad that's now a first pick for Manchester United won?

I'll tell you, two seasons in the Manchester United first team is a far bigger achievement than the trophy haul of McGregor and Christie.

I suggest you re read my post, nobody thinks these players play for Barcelona etc like you claimed. 

Aye okay. I’m more interested what the 3 are able to do for us as part of a team. 

12 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Really?

That's probably in the same trophy cabinet that Arsene Wenger keeps his "4th pace in the Premiership qualification for the Champions League" medals.

Leicester City seemed to be very keen to sign Callum McGregor the other week 

Edited by aaid