Kieran Tierney's lack of commitment towards Scotland - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Kieran Tierney's lack of commitment towards Scotland

The_Dark_Knight

Oh. I covered my bases quite well.

I said that Scott McTominay is "good" on multiple occasions. It's not exactly a glowing reference. He might just be "good" but it's still head and shoulders above the dross we have in midfield.

I thought McTominay was neat and tidy last night. He certainly wasn't the worse player in a United shirt. He got a solid 6 from me.

As I said previous, the Manchester United midfield is an absolute hot mess at the moment: Fred hasn't lived up to his £50m price tag. Matic's legs have gone. Mata is a shadow of what he once was. Lingard doesn't offer anything. Pereira is awful and Pogba plays like he's in the playground.

50 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Oh. I covered my bases quite well.

I said that Scott McTominay is "good" on multiple occasions. It's not exactly a glowing reference. He might just be "good" but it's still head and shoulders above the dross we have in midfield.

He’s yet to prove that in a Scotland shirt. 

• 2 months later...

More evidence to add to the list, it appears:

Been involved in the 7 most recent Arsenal squads.

starting on the bench for 3

Starting 4

Scott McKenna came back from injury 11 days after Tierney did. McKenna has started 4 matches. 

So I'm guessing McKenna is fitter and just more sturdy that the man the Celtic dubbed as "The Iron man".

People can say what they want about Arsenal saying this and saying that. Can you imagine a club telling Joe Jordan or Souness, Dalglish or Darren Fletcher that they're going to tell the SFA that they don't select them? I'm guessing two words would be involved, and one of them would be "off".

This is also showing Steve Clarke as a bit of a softie. He might have a perma growl, but he's nothing more than a pussy cat. A real manager wouldn't be so subservient about this. A real manager would tell Arsenal that they can go screw themselves, use the three/four day rule (ruling Tierney out of playing in Europe this week) and give Tierney a simple question: "do you want to play for Scotland?" If it's a "No" then wish him well on the remainder of his career. If it's a "Yes", tell him to turn up for this squad.

Tierney is making Clarke and SFA look like idiots. As good as he is, I'd rather he quit international football that jerk the fans, Clarke and the SFA around with this " Will he/won't he" nonsense.

If McTominay plays in either of the two upcoming matches he will played more games for Scotland in one year that Tierney has in three. How did Scott McTominay equal Tierney's caps? By driving up to Glasgow, to play in a dead-rubber, in horrendous conditions, on a park that was akin to a swimming pool.

People talk about places of birth, and places where people grow up, and use that as a yardstick for nationality. Tierney grew up in Scotland, went to school here, spend the vast majority of his life here. McTominay was born in England, grew up in Manchester and only went to Scotland to visit family. And yet, Scott McTominay is far more committed to Scotland than Tierney has ever been.

Wouldn't shock me if McTomimay won 100+ caps. It would shock me if Tierney won 50.

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

41 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

More evidence to add to the list, it appears:

Been involved in the 7 most recent Arsenal squads.

starting on the bench for 3

Starting 4

Scott McKenna came back from injury 11 days after Tierney did. McKenna has started 4 matches. 

So I'm guessing McKenna is fitter and just more sturdy that the man the Celtic dubbed as "The Iron man".

People can say what they want about Arsenal saying this and saying that. Can you imagine a club telling Joe Jordan or Souness, Dalglish or Darren Fletcher that they're going to tell the SFA that they don't select them? I'm guessing two words would be involved, and one of them would be "off".

This is also showing Steve Clarke as a bit of a softie. He might have a perma growl, but he's nothing more than a pussy cat. A real manager wouldn't be so subservient about this. A real manager would tell Arsenal that they can go screw themselves, use the three/four day rule (ruling Tierney out of playing in Europe this week) and give Tierney a simple question: "do you want to play for Scotland?" If it's a "No" then wish him well on the remainder of his career. If it's a "Yes", tell him to turn up for this squad.

Tierney is making Clarke and SFA look like idiots. As good as he is, I'd rather he quit international football that jerk the fans, Clarke and the SFA around with this " Will he/won't he" nonsense.

If McTominay plays in either of the two upcoming matches he will played more games for Scotland in one year that Tierney has in three. How did Scott McTominay equal Tierney's caps? By driving up to Glasgow, to play in a dead-rubber, in horrendous conditions, on a park that was akin to a swimming pool.

People talk about places of birth, and places where people grow up, and use that as a yardstick for nationality. Tierney grew up in Scotland, went to school here, spend the vast majority of his life here. McTominay was born in England, grew up in Manchester and only went to Scotland to visit family. And yet, Scott McTominay is far more committed to Scotland than Tierney has ever been.

Wouldn't shock me if McTomimay won 100+ caps. It would shock me if Tierney won 50.

My my. 

Such certainty about people you have never ever met. Not to mention a longing lament for a 'REAL' manager.

This is why I took a bit of time to wind myself down from my disappointment that he wasn't in again haha, wince inducing stuff. 

As I said in another thread;

I know there is a tendency to think the worst, and I have it too. But let's remember he played for Scotland ten days after breaking his jaw with a plate in.

He has played, what, six games for his club? Having been signed when injured and for a lot of money.

Arsenal have only just got him involved in their squad and Clarke stated that there is an 'ongoing issue' they are hoping to clear up fully in the break.

Look, it is beyond frustrating not to have him yet again, especially now, when we see he is playing, but what we surely want, what I want in any case, is a Tierney at the top of his game for the playoffs. Ideally, yes,

that would mean him getting involved now to prep, but if him missing these two means he gets to nail down his place at arsenal and be a player full of confidence and in top form come March then so, begrudgingly, be it. 

2 hours ago, AndyDD said:

My my. 

Such certainty about people you have never ever met. Not to mention a longing lament for a 'REAL' manager.

This is why I took a bit of time to wind myself down from my disappointment that he wasn't in again haha, wince inducing stuff. 

As I said in another thread;

I know there is a tendency to think the worst, and I have it too. But let's remember he played for Scotland ten days after breaking his jaw with a plate in.

He has played, what, six games for his club? Having been signed when injured and for a lot of money.

Arsenal have only just got him involved in their squad and Clarke stated that there is an 'ongoing issue' they are hoping to clear up fully in the break.

Look, it is beyond frustrating not to have him yet again, especially now, when we see he is playing, but what we surely want, what I want in any case, is a Tierney at the top of his game for the playoffs. Ideally, yes,

that would mean him getting involved now to prep, but if him missing these two means he gets to nail down his place at arsenal and be a player full of confidence and in top form come March then so, begrudgingly, be it. 

What part of 

2 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

If McTominay plays in either of the two upcoming matches he will played more games for Scotland in one year that Tierney has in three. How did Scott McTominay equal Tierney's caps? By driving up to Glasgow, to play in a dead-rubber, in horrendous conditions, on a park that was akin to a swimming pool

Didn't you understand?

Tierney has been a Scotland player since 2016 and only amassed 12 caps. I'm not making it up. It's in black and white.

You can be an apologist all you like. The evidence is in black and white. 

As for my lampooning a "REAL' manager (No idea what that means. It's like you're saying that "REAL" managers are beyond reproach. They're human beings, they make the same errors and mistakes than their fellow human beings.), I doubt managers like Klopp or Mourinho or Guardiola, etc, would tolerate being dictated to in a manner that would weaken their position or their team.

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

Guest ElChris04

He’s never had the same commitment since McLeish came in and gave the armband to Robertson over him ( even though he was captain against the Dutch ) no excuses though.

only time will tell but it really is looking the obvious he just doesn’t care, if I was in his position I’d be doing everything I can to play and tell arsenal where to go.

theres the difference in commitment.

Edited by ElChris04

1 hour ago, ElChris04 said:

He’s never had the same commitment since McLeish came in and gave the armband to Robertson over him ( even though he was captain against the Dutch ) no excuses though.

only time will tell but it really is looking the obvious he just doesn’t care, if I was in his position I’d be doing everything I can to play and tell arsenal where to go.

theres the difference in commitment.

He'll play the full 90 minutes against Vitória de Guimaraes.

Steve Clarke should phone Tierney, ask him if he wants to continue being a Scotland player or not.

Personally, I don't care, either way. I said when he moved to Arsenal that I won't be watching their matches and keeping tabs on his progress, and I've not changed my position. 

Guest ElChris04
25 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Steve Clarke should phone Tierney, ask him if he wants to continue being a Scotland player or not.

Personally, I don't care, either way. I said when he moved to Arsenal that I won't be watching their matches and keeping tabs on his progress, and I've not changed my position. 

I agree, Clarke needs to have a one on one and if he doesn’t committed why bother keeping tabs on his progress if it isn’t going to contribute to the NT. only time will tell but Clarke did look extremely pissed off.

11 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I would be willing to bet he doesn't.

Edited by Dalgety Bay TA

13 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

What part of 

Didn't you understand?

Tierney has been a Scotland player since 2016 and only amassed 12 caps. I'm not making it up. It's in black and white.

You can be an apologist all you like. The evidence is in black and white. 

As for my lampooning a "REAL' manager (No idea what that means. It's like you're saying that "REAL" managers are beyond reproach. They're human beings, they make the same errors and mistakes than their fellow human beings.), I doubt managers like Klopp or Mourinho or Guardiola, etc, would tolerate being dictated to in a manner that would weaken their position or their team.

The part where it proves anything about anyone's personal commitment or personal character.

Let's face it, the parallels are far from exact. 

Arsenal paid 25 million for a player who was injured and have slowly introduced him into their playing squad. They therefore appear to have requested that he misses these games so that they can continue to treat an 'ongoing issue' and the SFA have acquiesced to this request. 

Had Man U just spent that sort of money on an injured player who they were only now getting into first team action, who may or may not have an ongoing issue that needs further treatment, they might have a similar attitude. It's an infuriating aspect of contemporary football, that's for sure. Besides, you can't ignore the fact that this period of time when Tierney has not been able to play for Scotland he has played little to no club football, either.

Clarke himself said Tierney is frustrated. Okay, that could be a lie, but I don't see any reason to think Clarke is lying. He offered that up, he wasn't asked. I have precisely zero reasons to think Clarke is lying. It seems, although I suppose it wasn't made totally clear, that Clarke and Tierney spoke. Otherwise he is making an assumption when he says it's frustrating for the player. 

Like I said, you are suggesting, no ion fact you are insisting you now know for a fact (and have clearly felt for some time) that Tierney has no appetite to play for Scotland, but this is a guy who was in the dark blue with a broken jaw, metal plate in place, 10 days after it was smashed. 

Where you see conspiracy, I see another unfortunate, deeply, deeply frustrating compromise being struck between club and SFA. I'd have rather the SFA told them to bolt, or a compromise where he plays one game then goes back to treatment, but if he does actually get work done during the break and it means we get him back and at the top of his game for March then I can live with it, albeit grumpily. 

For all we know Clarke decided it was not worth throwing a tantrum about because he knows fine well what Tierney can do and how he wants to use him. 

An apologist? Haha, okaydoke. I simply don't buy the conspiracy theory you are so single-mindedly determined to promote. 

Yeah, I thought it was quite funny how you repeated 'real manager' for emphasis, almost like longing for a REAL man. It's such an absurd suggestion, that Steve Clarke is not a real manager. What is he, then? A guy you don't like because he has decided to play 4 at the back? A fictional manager? One made out of foam?

You have absolutely no idea how it went, so you do not know if Clarke or the SFA were 'dictated to'. Nor do I know how it went behind the scenes. But I do not think it's as black and white as you suggest, nor am I as willing to make assertions about someone's character in such a categorical manner, when I've never met them. 

Guest ElChris04
1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'm sure someone, somewhere will find that funny.

I’ll admit it’s a pretty shite but took less than a few minutes when I thought of it so said fuck it. 🤣

Honestly, take the whole concept of commitment to 'The Cause' out of it and we are talking about a guy who loves playing football and has missed so much of it over the last few years. 

I just don't find it realistic to imagine him not wanting to play if for no other reason than because he wants to make up for lost time and get as much football in as he can. He'll be chomping at the bit to play football, period. 

I half expect the cunt to be scouting about London looking for games of 5s to get involved in. 

5 hours ago, AndyDD said:

The part where it proves anything about anyone's personal commitment or personal character.

Let's face it, the parallels are far from exact. 

Arsenal paid 25 million for a player who was injured and have slowly introduced him into their playing squad. They therefore appear to have requested that he misses these games so that they can continue to treat an 'ongoing issue' and the SFA have acquiesced to this request. 

Had Man U just spent that sort of money on an injured player who they were only now getting into first team action, who may or may not have an ongoing issue that needs further treatment, they might have a similar attitude. It's an infuriating aspect of contemporary football, that's for sure. Besides, you can't ignore the fact that this period of time when Tierney has not been able to play for Scotland he has played little to no club football, either.

Clarke himself said Tierney is frustrated. Okay, that could be a lie, but I don't see any reason to think Clarke is lying. He offered that up, he wasn't asked. I have precisely zero reasons to think Clarke is lying. It seems, although I suppose it wasn't made totally clear, that Clarke and Tierney spoke. Otherwise he is making an assumption when he says it's frustrating for the player. 

Like I said, you are suggesting, no ion fact you are insisting you now know for a fact (and have clearly felt for some time) that Tierney has no appetite to play for Scotland, but this is a guy who was in the dark blue with a broken jaw, metal plate in place, 10 days after it was smashed. 

Where you see conspiracy, I see another unfortunate, deeply, deeply frustrating compromise being struck between club and SFA. I'd have rather the SFA told them to bolt, or a compromise where he plays one game then goes back to treatment, but if he does actually get work done during the break and it means we get him back and at the top of his game for March then I can live with it, albeit grumpily. 

For all we know Clarke decided it was not worth throwing a tantrum about because he knows fine well what Tierney can do and how he wants to use him. 

An apologist? Haha, okaydoke. I simply don't buy the conspiracy theory you are so single-mindedly determined to promote. 

Yeah, I thought it was quite funny how you repeated 'real manager' for emphasis, almost like longing for a REAL man. It's such an absurd suggestion, that Steve Clarke is not a real manager. What is he, then? A guy you don't like because he has decided to play 4 at the back? A fictional manager? One made out of foam?

You have absolutely no idea how it went, so you do not know if Clarke or the SFA were 'dictated to'. Nor do I know how it went behind the scenes. But I do not think it's as black and white as you suggest, nor am I as willing to make assertions about someone's character in such a categorical manner, when I've never met them. 

Absolutely spot on.