Which midfielder don't you start? - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Which midfielder don't you start?

mrniaboc

4 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I agree. I want the best XI.

IMO, McGregor, Christie, Forrest and Griffiths are all good enough to be starting for us. 

Depends which Forrest turns up for scotland but I agree the others would be considered as potential starters

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

Worth remembering that our best spell in recent years was when we filled the team with Celtic players.

Ok, Gordon isn't playing now, Brown isn't an option and Amstrong and Tierney have moved on but I don't think it's as simple as picking players just because they play in England. 

Your right but Brown was a major part of that and other players appear to have emerged down south..

At the moment I'd have McTominay, McLean/McGregor as defensive midfielders with Fraser McGinn Forrest/Phillips ahead and McBurnie or Fletcher up front.

I don't see much difference if McGregor and Forrest were the two left out unless  I  over rate McLean and Phillips.

Don't think any one really thinks forget the SPL but after Tuesdays result as well as  Kilmarnock's and Aberdeen's results in Europe it really has become a leap of faith to suggest SPL players are international class right now.

For the first time in my life I honestly think Celtic would struggle to stay in the EPL

I'm probably being a tad harsh with this but when you consider the mainstays at that Celtic team, if you take the last 3 seasons in Europe the previous 2 consist of going out of the Champions League against opposition you'd be disappointed they couldn't beat. And the season prior to that completely capitulating against the Elite of Europe. Our EPL players have the opportunity now of individually gaining experience against some of the world's best every week. I don't like to make the distinction of players to pick based on where they play, but it's not to be sniffed at.

Looking at the 4 Celtic players discussed:

Forrest - A long scoring history against domestic Scottish clubs. Scored his 5 international goals in one burst against decidedly 3rd rate opposition. Tends to go anonymous against higher quality opposition. Not saying he's not worth being on the teamsheet, but not a nailed on starter like he has been for a long time now

McGregor - Agree he puts in a shift for Celtic. But not convinced he's as much of a utility man as he comes across. We have more incisive attacking players, he affords players far too much time on the ball when playing defensive mid, and completely out of sorts at left back. Bit of a glorified Andy Halliday if I'm being harsh. Would not start him.

Christie - Ok his main breakthrough season was last year. His improvement at Celtic has been exponential. I think he can get even better. I would take a punt on him for starting 11.

Griffiths - probably our only good striker at the minute. Don't rate McBurnie in the slightest but we'll see how both him and Griffiths do this season. I'd go with Griffiths to start currently.

26 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

I'm probably being a tad harsh with this but when you consider the mainstays at that Celtic team, if you take the last 3 seasons in Europe the previous 2 consist of going out of the Champions League against opposition you'd be disappointed they couldn't beat. And the season prior to that completely capitulating against the Elite of Europe. Our EPL players have the opportunity now of individually gaining experience against some of the world's best every week. I don't like to make the distinction of players to pick based on where they play, but it's not to be sniffed at.

Forrest - A long scoring history against domestic Scottish clubs. Scored his 5 international goals in one burst against decidedly 3rd rate opposition. Tends to go anonymous against higher quality opposition. Not saying he's not worth being on the teamsheet, but not a nailed on starter like he has been for a long time now

McGregor - Agree he puts in a shift for Celtic. But not convinced he's as much of a utility man as he comes across. We have more incisive attacking players, he affords players far too much time on the ball when playing defensive mid, and completely out of sorts at left back. Bit of a glorified Andy Halliday if I'm being harsh. Would not start him.

Christie - Ok his main breakthrough season was last year. His improvement at Celtic has been exponential. I think he can get even better. I would take a punt on him for starting 11.

Griffiths - probably our only good striker at the minute. Don't rate McBurnie in the slightest but we'll see how both him and Griffiths do this season. I'd go with Griffiths to start currently.

I think you are being very harsh on McGregor.  I've no doubt that if he had played CM on Tuesday, Celtic would have gone through.  I don't think he tries to come across as a utility player - he is a midfielder.  

I'm not saying he should definitely start but he's a player I'd be quite happy to see in the XI.

Forrest is easily our best right-winger.  He badly needs a decent RB behind him to see the best of him.  He has been excellent for Celtic for a long time now and constantly steps up at key times for us.

3 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

It's funny how differing opinions can be. I suggested Forrest and McGregor as the two possible starters and you suggest the other two

I don't see any proof Christie and Griffiths can provide any sort of forward defensive play, neither of them have to in the SPL. Forget the "that's not their job" cliche all decent attacking players these days have to provide much more. McBurnie and Fletcher can do this and comparing McGinn's ability to tackle and stop games in forward midfield to Christies is a non starter.

Any way Griffiths cant get a start for Celtic.

Edited by ceudmilefailte

2 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Forrest is easily our best right-winger.  He badly needs a decent RB behind him to see the best of him.  He has been excellent for Celtic for a long time now and constantly steps up at key times for us.

Five goals with Paterson at right back, fancy backing my Paterson for right back campaign 

12 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Five goals with Paterson at right back, fancy backing my Paterson for right back campaign 

Happy with Paterson against teams we should beat. Not sure about Belgium and Russia.

I wonder whether Ryan Jack should be our right-back. 

Don't shoot the messenger but I saw on Facebook someone who was in Hamden dressing rooms for whatever reason saw a team board written up as follows:

Marshall

O'Donnell

McKenna

Mulgrew

Robertston

McGregor

McGinn

Armstrong

Forrest

Fraser

Griffiths

Could be absolute nonsense or some genuine leaked prep. Who knows

Ryan Jack showed next to nothing when we tried him at right back. I'm certainly not eager to see him play there again, let alone regularly.

As popular as it is for some on here to do down O'Donnell and to write off Palmer after a single game where everyone was poor.. the facts reaming that right back spot hasn't done an awful lot wrong in the last year or two. The goals we concede come from elsewhere on the field, so I'd not be in a rush to replace the right back, especially with someone who hasn't played there for a handful of years.

O'Donnell and Palmer are perfectly good for games where we're likely to be in control and looking for an overlapping option that can also do the defensive work when needed. For Russia/Belgium the obvious choice is Tierney. He's the most solid option we have to play there, and the main problem with playing him at right back (his inability to contribute going forwards) is unlikely to be a problem against those opponents.

Why reinvent the wheel when the one we have is perfectly good for our needs?

The decisions in the squad are mostly in central midfield: McTominay + who?
And up front.. The finisher Griffiths or the gegenpressing Fletch?

I back Armstrong to play along side McTominay because there's no other standout option. McGregor's ok.. McLean, Fleck, Bannan and even Shinnie are probably fine I there too. But none are a standout and all ave their flaws/concerns. Armstrong has been the most consistent performer for us when he's played. So if we just need a steady performer to show up, do the job and get a 7/10 then Armstrongs the guy.
I'd probably then opt for McGinn playing behind Fletch, as their workrates compliment each other.

Just now, N4Footsoldier said:

Don't shoot the messenger but I saw on Facebook someone who was in Hamden dressing rooms for whatever reason saw a team board written up as follows:

Not shooting you, but would be very strange to leave out McTominay at this point in time.

He and Pobga are the first choice pair in the middle for United.

13 minutes ago, andyD said:

Not shooting you, but would be very strange to leave out McTominay at this point in time.

He and Pobga are the first choice pair in the middle for United.

Well yeah that's the main surprise in there I reckon

5 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

It would also be strange to have a team up on the board knowing that some players have 4 more games to play before the fixture itself.

Agree! Could have been a windup, but you'd be surprised if Clarke doesn't have a team in his mind already

40 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

It would also be strange to have a team up on the board knowing that some players have 4 more games to play before the fixture itself.

It's just a crazy mad idea but I reckon that Steve Clarke's got an office somewhere at Hampden and doesn't have to hang around the dressing room when there's no games on.

Years ago, I did the Stadium tour at Hampden the morning after we played - and lost to - Denmark in a friendly under Berti Vogts.    When we got to the dressing rooms they still hadn't been totally cleared out from the night before and the flipchart was still up with Vogts' tactics.  Even seeing that I still didn't have a clue what he was trying to do.   Looking at the team that played that night, STO was Robbie Stockdale. I've no idea who STC was supposed to be.   Weir and Dailly were the centre backs.  Maurice Ross as a holding midfielder - me neither.   FER - Barry Ferguson, LA - Paul Lambert, NA - Gary Naismith - left midfield?

Edit - this must have been the half time team talk.  STCR is Stephen Crainey who came on to replace Kevin McNaughton

100-0083_IMG.JPG

Edited by aaid

9 minutes ago, aaid said:

It's just a crazy mad idea but I reckon that Steve Clarke's got an office somewhere at Hampden and doesn't have to hang around the dressing room when there's no games on.

Years ago, I did the Stadium tour at Hampden the morning after we played - and lost to - Denmark in a friendly under Berti Vogts.    When we got to the dressing rooms they still hadn't been totally cleared out from the night before and the flipchart was still up with Vogts' tactics.  Even seeing that I still didn't have a clue what he was trying to do.   Looking at the team that played that night, STO was Robbie Stockdale. I've no idea who STC was supposed to be.   Weir and Dailly were the centre backs.  Maurice Ross as a holding midfielder - me neither.   FER - Barry Ferguson, LA - Paul Lambert, NA - Gary Naismith - left midfield?

100-0083_IMG.JPG

The 2 centre backs looks like he's wrote "Help Da"

Some one going to explain the Leigh Griffiths love in.

He doesn't start for Celtic.

When he does he cant score in 2 hours against second division opposition.

In five seasons at Parkhead he has scored 3 goals in European group stage competition.

Took him how long to score his first goal for Scotland?

Iv'e asked before but what exactly does he contribute as a player other than score bucket loads against weak opposition.

He reminds me of Kris Boyd and Jordan Rhodes, good stats but not very good footballers.

Back on topic if McGinn carries on the way he has started the season he should start.

Edited by ceudmilefailte

5 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

In five seasons at Parkhead he has scored 3 goals in European group stage competition.

Iv'e asked before but what exactly does he contribute as a player other than score bucket loads against weak opposition.

He reminds me of Kris Boyd and Jordan Rhodes, good stats but not very good footballers.

Back on topic if McGinn carries on the way he has started the season he should start.

Two goals against England most likely.

I've never been convinced by him but options aren't great elsewhere.   Like Boyd and Rhodes I suspect he's a bit of a flat track bully  

13 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

OK then genius, who do we pick instead ?

16 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

OK then genius, who do we pick instead ?

Fletcher, McBurnie, Paterson( 4 goals in how many games as a striker  last year} and then any one under the age of 21 showing any promise.

The first three are all a massive aid in defending set pieces, Griffiths can stand in a wall.

It is obvious he can't score against decent opposition and his contribution in other areas of the pitch is next to nothing. Unless some one knows otherwise.

Just now, ceudmilefailte said:

Fletcher, McBurnie, Paterson( 4 goals in how many games as a striker  last year} and then any one under the age of 21 showing any promise.

The first three are all a massive aid in defending set pieces, Griffiths can stand in a wall.

It is obvious he can't score against decent opposition and his contribution in other areas of the pitch is next to nothing. Unless some one knows otherwise.

Gary Caldwell thinks your idea is shite

Image result for gary caldwell scotland