Which midfielder don't you start? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Which midfielder don't you start?

mrniaboc

Fraser - Christie - Forrest
McTominay - Armstrong

It's super close for me between Christie and McGinn tho.. I think Christie just edges it right now due to his form infront of goal, and that hopefully we'll see Griffith back up top.

For me, Fraser, Forrest and McTominay are nailed on.

And Armstrong is still our most consistent, most reliable guy to play in the middle, next to McTominay. McGinn can be fantastic, but should be used as the head of the midfield trio for me, while McGregor has a tendency to go missing in big games.

Fleck, Cairney, Bannan, Turnbull and McLean all on the fringe.

Not the most popular opinion probably but I would never argue against Armstrong getting a start. He's such an industrious and useful midfielder.

I think McTominay should have the midfield built around him. For me we look a completely different team with Christie on the park. Fraser too.

Forrest for me is very hot and cold. I think he's the type of player if he's on his game he'll cause mayhem so is worth a start, perhaps with the intention of cutting him off at 60mins if it's clearly not happening for him.

2 hours ago, andyD said:

Fraser - Christie - Forrest
McTominay - Armstrong

It's super close for me between Christie and McGinn tho.. I think Christie just edges it right now due to his form infront of goal, and that hopefully we'll see Griffith back up top.

For me, Fraser, Forrest and McTominay are nailed on.

And Armstrong is still our most consistent, most reliable guy to play in the middle, next to McTominay. McGinn can be fantastic, but should be used as the head of the midfield trio for me, while McGregor has a tendency to go missing in big games.

Fleck, Cairney, Bannan, Turnbull and McLean all on the fringe.

Honestly have no Idea how anyone can have Armstrong in the starting eleven, doubt if he will even be in the squad. Unless anyone knows otherwise,there was no reason for him not to at least be on the bench on Saturday for a very weak looking Southampton team, other than a lack of ability.

Edited by ceudmilefailte

It’s a really interesting question. 

For me the two interchangeable players are McGinn and Christie (would have had Armstrong as a choice too but don’t think he’s going to get the minutes). 

Both McGinn and Christie are best in the role behind the striker but give us different options. Both work really hard off and on the ball with McGinn working a little extra and has more physicality. You can rely on McGinn pressing very hard and winning possession in the final third, Christie can do this too but he’s got more technical ability on the ball and is a little more of a goal threat. 

It’s 50/50 for me, probably would make the choice on form leading up the the first game. 

I think McTominay and McGregor should both start. Both barely give the ball away and will let the two wingers (who have to be Fraser and Forrest) and whoever plays out of McGinn and Christie have more freedom. McGregor is massively underrated by some on here, he’s an all round centre mid with probably the best technical skill in the squad. 

I feel like McLean is unlucky not to start but is a good quality back up. 

Edited by Super_Scotlandfan

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-transfers-mcginn-goal-16735484

Interesting if Manu do sign up McGinn. If Pogba goes (and he doesn't seem to be committed to them) then we could have McTom and McGinn as the central 2 for the biggest club, arguably, in the EPL. It would then be impossible for us to ignore that, with maybe Forrest, Fraser and Christie in front of them?

12 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Christie the No. 10 then?

He's worth a go I guess. Personally if Armstrong was playing more at Southampton I'd be starting him as think he's the sort who can make runs into the box and start scoring some goals at international level. He scored the odd goal in his limited games for Southampton last season.

Not hitting on Christie as I liked what I saw of him when he was breaking through at Caley Thistle. Taken him ages to fully establish himself at Celtic. I always thought he was more of a wide player so this goalscoring rush has come as a surprise.

My other thought was for some games pushing Robertson up to left wing. It might work it might not, would try it in a friendly if any are planned although don't know if Tierney will be fit. Fraser obviously a stick on for the other wide role.

Thanks for all the responses everyone! I think that it's a really great problem for Scotland to have that we may have to leave a very good player or two on the bench. 

It seems that the crowd consensus on here is that player is McGinn just now. I think it will be worth revisiting this question later in a season. There's a sneaking suspicion inside me that he's going to make himself more and more undroppable. Hopefully Christie, McGregor, and McTominay continue to do the same. 

13 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Honestly have no Idea how anyone can have Armstrong in the starting eleven, doubt if he will even be in the squad. Unless anyone knows otherwise,there was no reason for him not to at least be on the bench on Saturday for a very weak looking Southampton team, other than a lack of ability.

Well, if you listen to his manager talk, then you wouldn't think he was being left out due to 'lac of ability'.
Hassenhuttl talks about having attacking riches and bemoans having to leave someone out.

It's always better to do a quick google, rather than write your own narrative with half the information.

12 hours ago, bigfingers said:

To start against Russia I think it should be...

Mctominay mcgregor 

Forrest christie Fraser 

The only thing I would be open to change from that would be McGinn for christie. 

I'd agree with that, McGinn could step in if Christie started to flag and I'd suggest Mikey Johnston as another poss winger replacement/impact player sub. I think Johnston is the kind of player who would absolutely terrorise a defence at the latter part of a game when they're tiring. Think he's an outstanding prospect. 

12 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I'm personally dreading the next three matches.

If people think McGregor, McGinn and Christie are good midfielders, watch them dissolve in front of your very eyes in the next three games.

If you want to know the future, look at the past.

we get it, you don't rate the scottish players except maybe 2 or 3. 

You don't have to repeat this every ten minutes

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

we get it, you don't rate the scottish players except maybe 2 or 3. 

You don't have to repeat this every ten minutes

Are you frustrating by me saying it? Does it annoy you?

Magnify that x1000 for me readings dozens of posts a day of people deliberating which one of the aforementioned midfielders should play.

The funny thing is, in the next three games we'll get crushed in midfield, and yet people will still say that we have good midfielders.

I swear, it's like I'm in the Twilight Zone.

Just now, The_Dark_Knight said:

Are you frustrating by me saying it? Does it annoy you?

Magnify that x1000 for me readings dozens of posts a day of people deliberating which one of the aforementioned midfielders should play.

The funny thing is, in the next three games we'll get crushed in midfield, and yet people will still say that we have good midfielders.

I swear, it's like I'm in the Twilight Zone.

We get it, everyone else is wrong and you're right. 

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

we should just give up because we are shite...................

I'm not sure what the purpose of the elongated ellipses means.

We are awful. No point trying to flippant over it. It's about making the best of a bad situation.

Hell, at least I'm thinking outside the box as opposed to people picking the same old formula.

7 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I'm not sure what the purpose of the elongated ellipses means.

We are awful. No point trying to flippant over it. It's about making the best of a bad situation.

Hell, at least I'm thinking outside the box as opposed to people picking the same old formula.

everyone else is making the best of a bad situation, they know our players are not world beaters. You're just being a dick

Edited by vanderark14

McTominay McGregor/McGinn 

Forrest            Christie/McGinn             Fraser

Has that midfield every started a game for us? I love the look of it! Obviously I'd love the look of it more with Ronaldo and Messi in there, but they are not Scotland players. 

Just now, mrniaboc said:

McTominay McGregor/McGinn 

Forrest            Christie/McGinn             Fraser

Has that midfield every started a game for us? I love the look of it! Obviously I'd love the look of it more with Ronaldo and Messi in there, but they are not Scotland players. 

Then put Tierney at left CB so that's the left side solid. Have McKenna as the other CB and whoever at RB with McTominay covering them. Griffiths up top. Now we're cooking! 

8 hours ago, andyD said:

Well, if you listen to his manager talk, then you wouldn't think he was being left out due to 'lac of ability'.
Hassenhuttl talks about having attacking riches and bemoans having to leave someone out.

It's always better to do a quick google, rather than write your own narrative with half the information.

I've never really thought much of Armstrong, we all have players we think are over rated by others and Armstrong is one of mine. So were exactly does that put him in the Southampton pecking order?

No matter what anyone  says if he can't even get onto the bench for a team that looks well capable of getting relegated he is not good enough for Scotland. Decent performances in past failures does not suggest he should start ahead of the players mentioned and in fact a few that haven't been mentioned.