Which midfielder don't you start? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Which midfielder don't you start?

mrniaboc

I imagine we'll start 5 midfielders against Russia, and it's looking very likely that the choice has to be from the following 6 players:

McTominay
McGinn
McGregor
Forrest
Fraser
Christie

So the question is, which one do you think should be left on the bench. I genuinely cannot decide. 

Well Fraser and Forrest are the first pick wingers so it's really a case of who misses out from mcginn, mctominay, McGregor and Christie for the central midfield spots. I would probably go with McGregor mctominay and Christie but its a hard decision to leave out mcginn. At least if one of them gets injured we have good cover.

Armstrong has disappeared off the face of the earth. Good player on his day but how does he deserve a place? 

This is a good problem to have no doubt. Fraser/forrest on the wings obviously.

I would maybe start mctominay/mcgregor/Christie in the middle. That's assuming mctominay is starting every game for man united up until then. 

Then we have Mcginn, Cairney, McLean and Armstrong too. Loads of midfield options. 

If say fraser or forrest get injured then maybe an option of putting a Christie or a mcgregor out wide. We need our best players on the pitch I reckon. 

Mctominey if he starts regularly for man utd would be one of the first choices. Fraser is a definite too.

I'd like to see christie too, I think he could be the next big departure from Celtic. 

After those three it's a draw from a hat.

2 hours ago, jamboman said:

I depends who starts the season. If McTominey does not get game time, he wont play

if he does, I would leave McGinn on the bench and allow christie forrest fraser and griffiths to attack

If Griffiths doesn't get game time does the same apply?

Not having a go at you but I really can't see Christie, Forrest and Fraser in the same starting eleven

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

If Griffiths doesn't get game time does the same apply?

Not having a go at you but I really can't see Christie, Forrest and Fraser in the same starting eleven

Christie the number 10 behind griffiths with forrest and fraser on the wings with two of mcgregor/mctominay/mcginn could be possible. 

We have limited options up front so a fit Griffiths should start IMO. 

Edited by bigfingers

1 minute ago, bigfingers said:

Christie the number 10 behind Griffiths with forrest and fraser on the wings with two of mcgregor/mctominay/mcginn could be possible. 

That would be the way but with our weakness's in defence that would be far too attacking, it's nearly an old fashioned 4--2-4

Fraser can defend but unless I am missing something I wouldn't say Forrest and Christie offer much defensively although I don't suppose they have to very often.

Does Griffiths offer any thing at all in his own half?

Christie would be the first player of bench if needed though.

25 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

That would be the way but with our weakness's in defence that would be far too attacking, it's nearly an old fashioned 4--2-4

Fraser can defend but unless I am missing something I wouldn't say Forrest and Christie offer much defensively although I don't suppose they have to very often.

Does Griffiths offer any thing at all in his own half?

Christie would be the first player of bench if needed though.

I don't think we should be dropping our top players like fraser and forrest because of our weaknesses. Let's play to our strengths and see how we get on. 

2 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

I don't think we should be dropping our top players like fraser and forrest because of our weaknesses. Let's play to our strengths and see how we get on. 

I'm not dropping Fraser and Forrest, It's Christie that I have a problem fitting in. I did say Fraser can defend but I don't think you can play a number 10 type player unless both your wingers can defend or the number 10 can. 

I would prefer more a  4-3-2-1 than a 4-2-3-1 which I assume is what you would play to bring in Christie.

6 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I'm not dropping Fraser and Forrest, It's Christie that I have a problem fitting in. I did say Fraser can defend but I don't think you can play a number 10 type player unless both your wingers can defend or the number 10 can. 

I would prefer more a  4-3-2-1 than a 4-2-3-1 which I assume is what you would play to bring in Christie.

Okay got you now. Christie could potentially be our super sub if needed. 

2 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

Both are better footballers than any of those mentioned but like I said they're an option 

Armstrong and Cairney are good footballers for sure, but I'm not sure by which metric you can judge them as being better than those other six? 

20 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Mctominey if he starts regularly for man utd would be one of the first choices. Fraser is a definite too.

I'd like to see christie too, I think he could be the next big departure from Celtic. 

After those three it's a draw from a hat.

Man. United midfield options until January are:

Pogba

Matic

McTominay

Fred

Andreas Pereria

McTom is first choice there now as Matic really declined end of last season.

If you look yesterday you had him and Pogba sitting infront of back 4 with obvious licence for Pogba to move forward.

If Clarke goes with a 4-2-3-1 I'd have Mctominay and McGinn in the two. McGinn plays as the box to box midfielder for us, never asa number 10.

On 8/11/2019 at 2:44 AM, mrniaboc said:

I imagine we'll start 5 midfielders against Russia, and it's looking very likely that the choice has to be from the following 6 players:

McTominay
McGinn
McGregor
Forrest
Fraser
Christie

So the question is, which one do you think should be left on the bench. I genuinely cannot decide. 

McGregor: he doesn't play against tip-top opposition each week. Forrest and Fraser are wide boys.

3 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Man. United midfield options until January are:

Pogba

Matic

McTominay

Fred

Andreas Pereria

McTom is first choice there now as Matic really declined end of last season.

If you look yesterday you had him and Pogba sitting infront of back 4 with obvious licence for Pogba to move forward.

If Clarke goes with a 4-2-3-1 I'd have Mctominay and McGinn in the two. McGinn plays as the box to box midfielder for us, never asa number 10.

Christie the No. 10 then?