James Tavernier? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

James Tavernier?

The_Dark_Knight

Notice the Daily Record trying to defend their findings on twitter by bringing up Andy Driver when everyone was correcting them, and yet completely missing the point on Andy Driver went to school in Scotland and that is how we were able to get him (though injury effectively prevented him ever playing) and was nothing to do with him just playing in Scotland for 4 years.

16 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I get that, but it only applies to players not born in England,  Scotland,  Wales or Northern Ireland. 

James Tavernier was born in Bradford, and has no Scottish parents or grandparents.  He is not eligible to play for us under the rules you've posted above.

I'll look further - but this is all brought from memory and my understanding was this was whole point of the home association agreement or it would be open season on each association being able to pick any player due to everyone sharing a passport - UK being the sovereign entity.

USSR used to be able to pick players from all the countries even though the individual countries were all unique - Ukraine, Latvia, Russia, Belarus etc etc

I know in my mind i am not making this up - just need to find the source material   

7 hours ago, euan2020 said:

USSR used to be able to pick players from all the countries even though the individual countries were all unique - Ukraine, Latvia, Russia, Belarus etc etc

Those countries didn't exist in a football sense when the USSR had a team though. 

The table I posted on page 1 shows FIFA's stipulation regarding multi nation states. Eg. You could be a Puerto Rican player with a US passport but not be eligible to play for the USA.

On 8/11/2019 at 8:42 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

Is Lorenzo Amoruso still keen on playing for us ? :lol:

Don't joke about it. With the centre backs we have just now, Im not sure he wouldn't be an improvement. 😉

Had a think earlier and solved our right back problem. 

Alan Hutton had a good season in the championship but was released when Villa got promoted. He’s still without a club. 

The SFA should have offered him a 1 year contract (in a coaches role or whatever) but told him he must come out of international retirement. 

The SFA could then go around Scottish Premiership clubs asking who wanted Alan Hutton for say £2k a week, you’d have to promise to play him for match fitness but also keep him fresh for the Scotland games. 

A win for all parties. Scotland go to the Euros, Hutton continues his playing career and Hibs get a decent right back.