British Players That Should Have Done So Much More With Their Natural Talent - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

British Players That Should Have Done So Much More With Their Natural Talent

On 8/8/2019 at 9:23 AM, Fairbairn said:

Joey Barton.

A lot of people tend to forget that he was once a highly rated young player at Man City (back when they had an excellent record at producing young English players) who was tipped to win many England caps. And he probably would have, if only he could have controlled his anger and kept out of nightclubs.

On 8/11/2019 at 12:36 PM, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Owen Archdeacon. I played against him at  primary and high school level, stood out and was a cracking player. 

Barnsley FC legend.

On 8/13/2019 at 10:44 AM, C2405 said:

Frank Worthington.

I live quite close to Oh Frankie, Frankie. Sadly suffering with Alzheimer’s these days. He scored in the first match I ever went to. Probably in more ways than one. If making the most the most of your talent is equated with the number of 20-something blondes you hit it off with, he’s probably the world’s no.2 after Best. 

One name from our more recent past that springs to mind in the thread is Danny Cadamarteri. He was touted as the next big thing after being the youngest goal scorer in a Merseyside derby but ended up plying his trade mostly in the lower divisions (& the Magistrates Courts). As if playing for us wasn’t bad enough, the poor bugger has got Bradford City on his CV. Twice. 

6 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

One name from our more recent past that springs to mind in the thread is Danny Cadamarteri. He was touted as the next big thing after being the youngest goal scorer in a Merseyside derby but ended up plying his trade mostly in the lower divisions (& the Magistrates Courts). As if playing for us wasn’t bad enough, the poor bugger has got Bradford City on his CV. Twice. 

He played up here for a season or two with Dundee Utd about ten years ago IIRC.

On 8/13/2019 at 8:57 PM, Pocketrocketman1888 said:

This post title seems to be morphing into a more “mavericks of yesteryear ; who had difficulty in being utilized in a given system “ not sure they could have done more with said talent / in circumstances 

le tissier , stan bowles etc

I only got to see Le Tiss once in my time. He came across as a completely crap player. It was a night match in the League Cup at our place & to all intents & purposes he wandered around for 89 minutes with his hands in his pockets looking completely bored with the 0-0 that was playing out. Something then just clicked for him; 1 minute left & he just picked the ball up out on the left & produced a goal of sheer beauty & brilliance. I couldn't (still can't) decide if I'd seen a genius at work or if he should be pulling out the stops like that for the other 89 minutes which would have put him up there with the world's finest.

17 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

He played up here for a season or two with Dundee Utd about ten years ago IIRC.

Yes he was a bit part player in our 2010 cup winning season. Worked hard and seemed to enjoy his time here, still showed flashes of a player. Not a bad player to have on the bench at the time. 

On 8/13/2019 at 8:47 PM, GHfaeGTA said:

Ralphie Milne

what exactly went wrong with Milne?  I know he had problems with the drink but iirc that was really after his playing days were done.  He was some player back in the day, incredible that with his talent he never won a Scottish cap.

On 8/17/2019 at 9:18 AM, Huddersfield said:

I live quite close to Oh Frankie, Frankie. 

Going off tonic a bit.

At Motherwell you still hear Oh Wullie Wullie Wullie Wullie Wullie Wullie Pettigrew. 

After all these years never realised the tune was from this song until some young guys put it on the juke box to sing along too in the pub on Friday night. Can't believe I missed that!

On 8/18/2019 at 9:21 AM, Jim Beem said:

Yes he was a bit part player in our 2010 cup winning season. Worked hard and seemed to enjoy his time here, still showed flashes of a player. Not a bad player to have on the bench at the time. 

Started off really well as well, a few goals in his first few games (double v Hearts first day of season) but had a couple of bad injuries. Quite a coup at the time. 

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

Started off really well as well, a few goals in his first few games (double v Hearts first day of season) but had a couple of bad injuries. Quite a coup at the time. 

Apparently he was brilliant with the young lads behind the scenes. I think he knew he had made a bit of a cunt of things when he was younger and used that in a positive way. He was genuinely gutted that Houston never gave him an extension. 

British leagues are full of players that never fulfilled their potential because of their own attitude. Fair play to the ones that realise that as they get older and use it to educate the young ones. There’s not that many if them   

4 hours ago, Och Aye said:

Going off tonic a bit.

At Motherwell you still hear Oh Wullie Wullie Wullie Wullie Wullie Wullie Pettigrew. 

After all these years never realised the tune was from this song until some young guys put it on the juke box to sing along too in the pub on Friday night. Can't believe I missed that!

Haha, no I never connected those two either. Much the same as I never knew that ‘We’re the blue & white army’ came from that White Stripes song until I saw them on TV at Glastonbury. 

That video reminds me of Wings doing Mull of Kintyre as well. Electric equipment everywhere & not a bloody wire in sight. 

6 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

what exactly went wrong with Milne?  I know he had problems with the drink but iirc that was really after his playing days were done.  He was some player back in the day, incredible that with his talent he never won a Scottish cap.

The drink problems started during his playing career. He is quite honest about that in his autobiography.  Waste of unbelievable talent. 

9 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Yeah Milne was a bevvy and bookies man pretty much all his adult life. An unbelievable talent. On his day he utterly destroyed some of the best teams in Europe at the time.  A classic victim of the demon bevvy. Achieved more than most players but still a tragic waste. 

Joe Miller was regarded as one of Scotland's best prospects during the mid-late eighties wasn't he ? What went wrong ?

Interestingly the following players won Scottish PFA Young Player of the year Award but never made it to play international football - Graeme Payne (Dundee Utd 1978), John MacDonald (Rangers 1980) and Scott Crabbe (Hearts 1990). 

10 hours ago, Och Aye said:

Going off tonic a bit.

That was a hit a couple of years before I was interested in TOTP so I never heard it til years later.  I remember pissing myself when I realised they were singing "Spot, spot the loony"

Classic single though pop pickers.  Written by Georgio Moroder too.

Edited by Toepoke