Which Scottish players will you especially be keeping an eye on this season? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Which Scottish players will you especially be keeping an eye on this season?

The_Dark_Knight

Of course, generally we'll be keeping an eye on every player who is eligible to play for Scotland, but list the players who you're most looking forward to seeing.

For me, in no order of relevance:

1. Jack Harper: It'll be interesting if he can break into a Getafe team who have finished in the top 10 in La Liga in the past three seasons.
  2. Scott McTominay: He's been United's best player this pre-season, hopefully he can hit the ground running in the EPL this season.
  3. Liam Henderson: A Scot in Serie A is rare. Hopefully he does well.
  4. Andy Robertson: It's a given that he's going to have a brilliant season. *knock on wood*
  5. Ryan Fraser: See Robertson. *knock on wood again*
  6. Michael Johnston: Some people may not like this comparison (No idea why) and some might scoff at it (I'm not saying that he's as good as him, or even that he will be.). He reminds me of Brian Laudrup. His dribbling style is so similar to Laudrup's. So is his balance and pace and acceleration and the way that he glides past players like they aren't there. If he turns out to be half the player Laudrup was I'll be happy. Whether he plays for us or Ireland is still up-in-the-air (See his Instagram account where there's a photograph of a tricolour draped over him). I suppose we'll find out next month, as Clarke will definitely call him up (or try to) for the Russia and Belgium matches, barring injury.
Edited by The_Dark_Knight

Focusing on the players you haven't mentioned that I'm interested in seeing progress -

Hopefully Billy Gilmour will get some game time for Chelsea.

It will also be interesting to see how Charlie Gilmour gets on in the Netherlands.

Ethan Hamilton is a player that might need to leave Man Utd soon before he gets left behind players his age that are playing, but the loan at Rochdale last year suggests he is ready to play every week somewhere.

I think that Oliver McBurnie will surprise a few people this season at Sheff Utd.

Hopefully Harry Cochrane and Anthony McDonald will get more game time this season for Hearts.

From a Celtic POV, I'd like to see Daniel Church, Ewan Henderson and Jack Aitchison get more game time. Karamoko Dembele too if he decides he's Scottish again.

26 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I hadn't expected that. It's really exciting to see young Scots move abroad.

As above for ones to follow. Ferguson, Henderson and Turnbull are the young lads in Scotland that I'm really keen to watch.

In England I'm hoping that Hornby, Hamilton and Gilmour get loan moves and I'll really follow them closely.

But Tierney, if he goes to Arsenal, will be the o e I'd be absolutely desperate to succeed 

17 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:
  1. Jack Harper: It'll be interesting if he can break into a Getafe team who have finished in the top 10 in La Liga in the past three seasons.

I'm hearing he's about to be shipped out on loan.  SD Huesca the likely destination - same division as Malaga. 

Jordan Archer.  Largely because he played for my local non league team and was easily the best keeper in the league.  Seemed a nice guy with his head screwed on but his career seems to have nose dived pretty quickly from earning his first Scotland cap just over a year ago to being released by Millwall and no longer having a club as far as I can tell.

Other than that it will be interesting see how Fleck and McGinn get on in the EPL.