Partick Thistle - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Alas I agree with the above.  We have a core fanbase of 1500 to 2000 which is a small group of potential board reps. Currently 2 fans trusts (?!) although they say they will merge. The article in Nutmeg mag about Dundee fan ownership does not help aid my fears.

The previous board had some real business success and experience.  A board should be mostly emotionless and for a club of Thistles size real bean counters to ensure we break even at worst every season.

To be dependent on Colin Weir with an unsustainable youth academy outwith his patronage and have a thin board bolstered by fans trust reps is not how I want the club run.  

On 11/25/2019 at 7:57 AM, macy37 said:

Fan ownership very rarely works. I’d be willing to bet this won’t either.

I think there is a number of stories of minimal success and they certainly work to a point... but as success grows, demands of the fans certainly grow as well (and this is where the petty squabbles start)

AFC Wimbledon certainly one of the big success stories, and certainly punched above our weight in recent years.... problem is a lot of fans feel we should be looking to make it to the next level, but without a rich sugar daddy, budgets are tight (every pre-season its the same, promised plenty of big signings and its usually a non-league "wonder" who struggles to hack it, and loan signings galore (think we have about 6 loan signings on the books just now) and with this brings the struggle to hold on to the best talent (both first team and in the youth team).

Another problem is they recently had a shares issue to raise funds for the new stadium, which raised over £2m, which the club painted as a fantastic achievement.... but since then the bank turned around and started playing funny buggers with the loan to plug up the remaining £10m required.

20 minutes ago, wanderer said:

AFC Wimbledon certainly one of the big success stories, and certainly punched above our weight in recent years.... problem is a lot of fans feel we should be looking to make it to the next level, but without a rich sugar daddy, budgets are tight (every pre-season its the same, promised plenty of big signings and its usually a non-league "wonder" who struggles to hack it, and loan signings galore (think we have about 6 loan signings on the books just now) and with this brings the struggle to hold on to the best talent (both first team and in the youth team).

“Our” weight. C’mon Mr. G. 😄🙈

You’re going to end up wae mair clubs than @McTeeko at this rate. 😂

Edited by WCTA

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 7:57 AM, macy37 said:

Fan ownership very rarely works. I’d be willing to bet this won’t either.

Aye, it's a complete failure at Motherwell.

Luckily for Motherwell (and Thistle) you have proven yourself to be utterly clueless when it comes to predictions.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

On 12/2/2019 at 3:17 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

Aye, it's a complete failure at Motherwell.

Luckily for Motherwell (and Thistle) you have proven yourself to be utterly clueless when it comes to predictions.

Who said Motherwell one was a failure numb nuts? It’s fact that it rarely works and Well have done fabulous to buck that trend. I’ll predict it’ll go pear shaped at Thistle and you can be happy to pick me out should it be a rare success story.😜

2 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Who said Motherwell one was a failure numb nuts? It’s fact that it rarely works and Well have done fabulous to buck that trend. I’ll predict it’ll go pear shaped at Thistle and you can be happy to pick me out should it be a rare success story.😜

Fan ownership very rarely works you said.

Funnily enough, Motherwell, Hearts, St Mirren and Killie, all with various degrees of fan ownership are now 4 of the best financially run clubs in the top flight.

That was my point. Most clubs that go tits up aren't fan owned, they are owned by ego maniacs with no regard for the club.

Just be thankful your club is in great hands with Peter. Worth every penny.

6 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Fan ownership very rarely works you said.

Funnily enough, Motherwell, Hearts, St Mirren and Killie, all with various degrees of fan ownership are now 4 of the best financially run clubs in the top flight.

That was my point. Most clubs that go tits up aren't fan owned, they are owned by ego maniacs with no regard for the club.

Just be thankful your club is in great hands with Peter. Worth every penny.

4 that do to vetting degrees, there are however loads that don’t or haven’t. 

last time I checked we were doing just fine so unsure what your point is with Celtic.

Edited by macy37

On 12/4/2019 at 2:46 PM, macy37 said:

4 that do to vetting degrees, there are however loads that don’t or haven’t. 

last time I checked we were doing just fine so unsure what your point is with Celtic.

I think his point was that Celtic are very well run. 😂

I don’t think anyone can argue with that.

The toxic relationship between the club and the green brigade is the only black mark against Peter Lawell (and the fact that he’s a smug prick that would happily trample the rest Scottish football into the ground to add 2p to the share value of Celtic, but from a Celtic PoV he’s doing great)

• 3 weeks later...