Partick Thistle - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What’s going on at Thistle? No team bus for two away games, which is curious in itself as, realistically, how much money does that save, and then Colin Weir pulls his financial backing?

Doesn’t look great from the outside.

Difficult to know what the exact story is, as there's a lot of conjecture and little confirmed fact.

What does appear to be the case is that the current Barnsley owners came forward with an offer to buy the club, and in the process of examining the books it seems that the board put in place last year has run up a loss. The chairman (Jaqui Lowe, a Colin Weir appointee) was punted along with several other board members, and replaced by some of the previous board members.

Alongside that, the SPFL are doing due diligence on whether it is legally acceptable for the company making the offer to have simultaneous controlling interests in clubs in both Scotland and England (given their ownership of Barnsley). The SPFL's response is  currently awaited. Not unnaturally in such circumstances, spending on costs and assets will have been restricted pending a final decision. Hence the club having to make yesterday's statement about the playing budget. And today's statement by Colin Weir (issued by Jacqui Lowe's PR company Indigo - go figure) confirms the withdrawal of any further funding on his part.

There's a lot of speculation and finger pointing on Thistle fora about motives for the takeover and some other things, but from what I can gather, the above can be taken as factual.

Edited by Barney Rubble

Interesting, cheers for the info. You'd think if Weir was so interested in Thistle he could just out and out buy the club himself.

Hope it all works out - always had time for Thistle and anyone from Glasgow (or anywhere else for that matter) who doesn't follow Celtic or Rangers deserves respect.

17 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

Interesting, cheers for the info. You'd think if Weir was so interested in Thistle he could just out and out buy the club himself.

Hope it all works out - always had time for Thistle and anyone from Glasgow (or anywhere else for that matter) who doesn't follow Celtic or Rangers deserves respect.

Glaswegians who support The Famous Bully Wee, Thistle & Queens Park, had a lot of torment & ridicule during our formative years (believe me :lol:)

• 3 months later...

Just reading that Colin Weir(great guy) has finally taken over as majority shareholder and will hand that to a fans group by next March. Thistle will also be completely debt free. 

Exciting times for a club I have always admired. It can’t be easy growing up in Glasgow a Thistle fan with the baggage that goes with the big two. 👍

Edited by WCTA

On 8/7/2019 at 9:51 AM, glasgow jock said:

Glaswegians who support The Famous Bully Wee, Thistle & Queens Park, had a lot of torment & ridicule during our formative years (believe me :lol:)

21 minutes ago, WCTA said:

Just reading that Colin Weir(great guy) has finally taken over as majority shareholder and will hand that to a fans group by next March. Thistle will also be completely debt free. 

Exciting times for a club I have always admired. It can’t be easy growing up in Glasgow a Thistle fan with the baggage that goes with the big two. 👍

The smug wanks who do that tiresome "oh so your a Thistle fan eh ? Go on, what team do you really support ?" shite deserve a punch in the face.

9 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

The smug wanks who do that tiresome "oh so your a Thistle fan eh ? Go on, what team do you really support ?" shite deserve a punch in the face.

So anyway, who do you.............😁

33 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Thistle fan in my work very sceptical of it as that Low who was director until recently in now back on board.

Wasn't she on the board previously to essentially represent Weir and it was the shenanigans that went on when she was ousted earlier in the season that caused him to pull the funding in the first place.  Sounds very much like there's still some unresolved internal squabbling going on.

16 minutes ago, aaid said:

Wasn't she on the board previously to essentially represent Weir and it was the shenanigans that went on when she was ousted earlier in the season that caused him to pull the funding in the first place.  Sounds very much like there's still some unresolved internal squabbling going on.

Aye it seems so.

11 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

The problem is that there are quite a few diddies that claim to support Thistle because they don't actually follow football but want to be one of the gang. 

I had one in my work and he didn't half shite himself when I asked specific questions about the squad. 

Admitted all my info was from Google, but I don't hide who I support. 

There is also a real Thistle fan in the work and we do ask him occasionally as a wind up. It's funny. 😁

5 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

The problem is that there are quite a few diddies that claim to support Thistle because they don't actually follow football but want to be one of the gang. 

I had one in my work and he didn't half shite himself when I asked specific questions about the squad. 

There is also a real Thistle fan in the work and we do ask him occasionally as a wind up. It's funny. 😁

The problem is there are 1000s of Huns and Tims who claim to support them but base their answer on what made up sky fairy they claim to believe in.

The irony is that they 1) never go to games and 2) never go to church.

Give me a made up Thistle fan any day.

47 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

The problem is there are 1000s of Huns and Tims who claim to support them but base their answer on what made up sky fairy they claim to believe in.

The irony is that they 1) never go to games and 2) never go to church.

Give me a made up Thistle fan any day.

Bad day SH? Sense of humour lost somewhere in the wind and rain? 

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Don’t be asking me any of that pish when you buy me a pint in March. 😄

6 hours ago, WCTA said:

Don’t be asking me any of that pish when you buy me a pint in March. 😄

I think I can guess which foot you kick with. 😂

And as long as you're not into all that craft ale shite. Anything that comes with tasting notes can get stuffed. 

2 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I think I can guess which foot you kick with. 😂

And as long as you're not into all that craft ale shite. Anything that comes with tasting notes can get stuffed. 

Growing up a huge Saints fan I’d always get asked what a Catholic ex-altar boy was doing not following Celtic. I got a lot of that teasing when I started work at 16 year old on building sites. 😂

Edited by WCTA

19 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Thistle fan in my work very sceptical of it as that Low who was director until recently in now back on board.

That was the initial rumours, but she's supposedly going to have nothing to do with the running of the club on a day to day basis. She is a director of the company that is owned by Weir that has bought the club but that is the extent of her involvement.

She's not on the list of board members that was announced yesterday.

18 hours ago, aaid said:

Essentially, yes. She was Weir's representative on the board and when the old board came back and she was ousted and the talk of the takeover from the guys that own Barnsley started, Weir walked away.

With him now outright owning the club, he has formed a new board so there should be no issues going forward with regards to infighting.

That being said, i've got no idea how the whole situation will pan out but it it a better situation than being owned by a company with no previous attachment to the club who's motives are not entirely clear.