Does Mikey Johnston deserve to be called up? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Does Mikey Johnston deserve to be called up?

Guest ElChris04

Does Mikey Johnston deserve to be called up for the next set of games?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. pick one :

• Aye, absolutely
    • Naw, still to early

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

Beyond Fraser and Forrest we don't have any other really good wingers unless (Matt Ritchie comes back) so it would be a good idea for us to get Johnston involved as he could be the future. He's clearly a talented guy and we need creative players with flair in the squad. 

Matt Ritchie is a left back these days, and the effort he put in a Scotland shirt was very little, so no thanks.

5 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Beyond Fraser and Forrest we don't have any other really good wingers unless (Matt Ritchie comes back) so it would be a good idea for us to get Johnston involved as he could be the future. He's clearly a talented guy and we need creative players with flair in the squad. 

No for two reasons

1. He doesn't want to play for us anymore.

2. He's slow as fuck.

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Matt Ritchie is a left back these days, and the effort he put in a Scotland shirt was very little, so no thanks.

He can still play as a winger though. I wasn't that impressed with him when he played for Scotland but I could say the same for lots of our players. He is a good player who has lots of experience at the top level. Can we really turn our noses up at an epl player who has played well there for years. If he wants to be selected and Clarke is happy with that then he should be in our squad.

3 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

No for two reasons

1. He doesn't want to play for us anymore.

2. He's slow as fuck.

1. Lots of players have pulled out over the years or have not been fully committed to Scotland and we have welcomed them back.

2. He might be slow but so is Snodgrass and his game isn't based on speed, his game is based on the ability to cross well and his link up play amongst other things. Are we in a position where we should be rejecting players who perform well in the epl. What wingers do we have that are better than him bar Forrest and Fraser.

8 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

1. Lots of players have pulled out over the years or have not been fully committed to Scotland and we have welcomed them back.

2. He might be slow but so is Snodgrass and his game isn't based on speed, his game is based on the ability to cross well and his link up play amongst other things. Are we in a position where we should be rejecting players who perform well in the epl. What wingers do we have that are better than him bar Forrest and Fraser.

Seems like you are on your own wanting Ritchie back. 

Did you not notice that in at least half the games he played for us that he clearly could not be arsed being there ?

Ritchie is not coming back and good riddance to him.

15 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Did you not notice that in at least half the games he played for us that he clearly could not be arsed being there ?

How did he compare to the other players in the team? Did they look arsed? (genuine question)

Saw him score a cracker for us against Poland, to be fair.

27 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Seems like you are on your own wanting Ritchie back. 

Ritchie is not coming back and good riddance to him.

I actually ain't that bothered about him coming back as I am happy enough with Johnston being called up and Fraser and Forrest are our first choice wingers anyways but I still think he's a decent player. Personally it didn't seem to me like he couldn't be arsed but I won't deny that he did very little in a Scotland shirt barring that goal v Poland. If he wants to be selected again I wouldn't mind him being called up but if not then thats fine as well.

29 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

How did he compare to the other players in the team? Did they look arsed? (genuine question)

Saw him score a cracker for us against Poland, to be fair.

I would argue yes that most of the others did want to be there. Unfortunately spirits were low in Strachan's final months as manager as he made a series of terrible decisions. 

3 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

So far MJ has struggled in the bigger matches he's played such as Cluj and rangers. He's not ready to make an impact against Russia and Belgium. 

I’ve only seen him play against Rangers I think and he hasn’t impressed me. I have heard and read about his good performances though so he does appear to have potential.

It looks to me that Clarke thinks he’ll be more valuable starting for the U21s than warming the bench against Russia and Belgium. 

The next double header would be the perfect time to promote him to the full squad in my opinion (assuming he’s still starting for Celtic in October). Give him half an hour against San Marino when we’re already (hopefully) 3 or 4 up to see what he can do and ease him in. 

• 2 weeks later...