Does Mikey Johnston deserve to be called up? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Does Mikey Johnston deserve to be called up?

Guest ElChris04

Does Mikey Johnston deserve to be called up for the next set of games?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. pick one :

• Aye, absolutely
    • Naw, still to early

This poll is closed to new votes

Guest ElChris04

Back in May I made the same thread, asking the same question- https://www.tamb.net/forum/index.php?/topic/13470-mikey-johnstone-call-up/

Some laughed and shot it off saying it was “to early” and all the other things around that and others agreed, now 1 game into the season and some absolutely brilliant performances in the UCL he’s really looking the part in why I said in the first place back in May he deserved to be call up. So I wanted to make a second poll and leave it open for a more reasonable amount of time for folk to make there mind up, to ask that question does Mikey deserve a call up this time? 

For me, it’s still the same aye, he absolutely does. He’s young, quick, skilful, intelligent and can take on players and make them a fool. He’s part of future Scottish football and the Scotland NT, and the quicker we integrate one of our most promising talents who’s already in stunning form right now, the better. 
Edited by ElChris04

I don't see why not. Aye from me.

One thing Strachan had the right idea about was bringing along one or two youngsters to join squads for big games. It let's these young players meet the manager, coaches and train with future teammates. They also get prepared for the tactics they would be using when they eventually play for Scotland. 

30 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

Back in May I made the same thread, asking the same question- https://www.tamb.net/forum/index.php?/topic/13470-mikey-johnstone-call-up/

Some laughed and shot it off saying it was “to early” and all the other things around that and others agreed, now 1 game into the season and some absolutely brilliant performances in the UCL he’s really looking the part in why I said in the first place back in May he deserved to be call up. So I wanted to make a second poll and leave it open for a more reasonable amount of time for folk to make there mind up, to ask that question does Mikey deserve a call up this time? 

For me, it’s still the same aye, he absolutely does. He’s young, quick, skilful, intelligent and can take on players and make them a fool. He’s part of future Scottish football and the Scotland NT, and the quicker we integrate one of our most promising talents who’s already in stunning form right now, the better. 

I fully agree..We have to blood the youngsters and give them time to learn & develop at top level. SFA have to accept that the current shite are only going to continue dropping in the rankings and have little if not zero chance of qualifying for anything.

28 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I really hope that Clarke won't be one of these managers that wants players to "serve yir apprenticeship" in the Under 21s and wait until they are 25 or 26 before giving them their full debuts. 

You mean like every national manager we have had, ever. 

Yes get him in, aswell as other promising 18-21 year olds. Them instead of mid 20’s call ups of guys aka Palmer and O’Donnell who will never bring anything to the squad. 

Seem to be in agreement that young players need to given the "international experience" sooner rather than later.

A lot of decent players have failed at international level simply because they cant adapt to the different set ups used  in internationals. At least if they go along for the ride Clarke will have an idea what to expect.

Do we really need the likes of Shinnie, Russell,Naismith etc to be picked ahead of our youngsters

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Do we really need the likes of Shinnie, Russell,Naismith etc to be picked ahead of our youngsters

No.

Graeme Shinnie is no better or worse than our other midfielders. It would be different if we have a top young midfielder or two, but we don't (Apart from McTominay), so we have to work with what we have.

Russell and Nasmith shouldn't be anywhere near the squad. I don't even consider them current Scotland players.

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

2 hours ago, Blackpool78 said:

Trains with the Celtic first team and plays for the team and people are saying bring him along for the experience if he good enough for Celtic he should be good enough for the Scotland squad 

Wingers is probably our strongest position.  Fraser and Forrest are probably the first choice.  The squad would maybe include another 3 but we can pick from Snodgrass, Ritchie, Phillips, Burke, Morgan, Russell, Mackay-Steven...

Not sure he gets in just because he's in the Celtic squad.  

Lennon seems to have faith in him and so far this season, he has stepped up a level from last season. 

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, romanticscot said:

From what I am reading about Johnston, I am for calling him up as the 4th striker with S Fletcher, S Naismith & L Griffiths.  Oli McBurnie misses out. 

He’s a winger isn’t he? Don’t watch much of Celtic so I’m not sure if he plays as a centre forward as well.