Underrated Scotland Players From The Past - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Underrated Scotland Players From The Past

ErsatzThistle

Charlie Nicholas - very few caps to his name, one of the most gifted players of his generation, should have been a hall of famer,

In his first full season at Aberdeen and his last one, he really should have been in contention to go to the 1990 World Cup, as he was in really good form (maybe not enough to dislodge McCoist and Johnstone.... but felt he was more deserving on a place in the squad at the time than the likes of Speedie, Fleck and McInally who were getting regular call ups (and in the latter twos cases, actually going to the finals)

In his first full season at Aberdeen and his last one, he really should have been in contention to go to the 1990 World Cup, as he was in really good form (maybe not enough to dislodge McCoist and Johnstone.... but felt he was more deserving on a place in the squad at the time than the likes of Speedie, Fleck and McInally who were getting regular call ups (and in the latter twos cases, actually going to the finals)

Agree - he was playing really well in the build up to Mexico 1986 & started our first game against Denmark, he was playing really well & was our best player until the Danes nailed him & effectively ruled him out of the tournament.

Another case of what might have been with Mr Nicholas i'm afraid - technically miles ahead of Johnston, McCoist, McInally etc etc, went to the wrong club when he left Celtic for the big city lights in 1983.

Another case of what might have been with Mr Nicholas i'm afraid - technically miles ahead of Johnston, McCoist, McInally etc etc, went to the wrong club when he left Celtic for the big city lights in 1983.

Remember a interview he gave just after Larsen had broke his leg where Nicholas said he had a similar injury in the early 1980's when he broke into the Celtic team, and just before it happened Stein had told him that he was firmly in his plans for the 1982 World Cup.

John McGinlay, Kevin Gallacher and Neil Sullivan

Always thought Sullivan was a decent keeper too. Has always spoken highly of the TA as well :ok:

Was too young to remember McGinlay but thirteen caps and four goals is a fair return considering the guy only became an international when he was 29/30.

David Clarkson.

On his debut:

"He came on as a substitute in the match, and scored Scotland's only goal in the 85th minute when he" "skilfully gathered in a cross, turned beautifully inside the box and drilled the ball home" "past Czech keeper Petr ÄŒech".

Not bad, for a total of less than an hour on the pitch for full team.

Edited by exile

Always thought Sullivan was a decent keeper too. Has always spoken highly of the TA as well :ok:

Seem to remember him in an article that he was cheering like hell when McAllister missed his penalty at Wembley. Sullivan can get f'ucked after that pish!

David Clarkson.

On his debut:

"He came on as a substitute in the match, and scored Scotland's only goal in the 85th minute when he" "skilfully gathered in a cross, turned beautifully inside the box and drilled the ball home" "past Czech keeper Petr ÄŒech".

Not bad, for a total of less than an hour on the pitch for full team.

Excellent goal it was too.

Shame it got lost in a poor result.

Seem to remember him in an article that he was cheering like hell when McAllister missed his penalty at Wembley. Sullivan can get f'ucked after that pish!

If that's true then Sullivan can go and get fecked !

Agree with exile and Barney Rubble on David Clarkson. Obviously not an underrated Scotland player but that was a terrific goal he scored against the Czechs. One positive at least for Clarkson and his family at the end of what was a very traumatic season. James Morrison's first game and Christian Dailly's last. I remember that the 3-1 score wasn't a fair reflection of that game, we created quite a few chances but just couldn't finish them off, whilst the Czech's scored from all of theirs.

Any Scotland players from the 70s and 80s who deserve a bit more credit for their efforts ??

I thought Nigel Quashie always looked decent. Rab McKinnon from Motherwell would have had a hatful of caps if he'd played for the old firm.

Alan McLaren was top class for a few years and is easily forgotten but for me one of the best players that no one really talks about was Stevie Nicol. Great player, just a shame about that miss v Uruguay.

one of the best players that no one really talks about was Stevie Nicol. Great player, just a shame about that miss v Uruguay.

Was listening to him tonight on US tv. He is the main studio guy along with Craig Burley. Quite proud that the two analysts Yank tele picks are Scots.

For me its Davie Cooper, never really got a run in our side till he was in his late twenties, had a gap in betwen his first set of caps and when he became established, i'm not an old firm fan but for me its between him and mo johnstone for the best player ive physically seen playing for us.the coop just edges it.

Any Scotland players from the 70s and 80s who deserve a bit more credit for their efforts ??

Left backs Frank Gray and Maurice Malpas spring to mind, especially Malpas. Both were consistently superb for us against even the very best opposition yet they rarely get mentioned as Scotland greats. Malpas is our best ever left back.

Roy Aitken has been mentioned and I agree with that - couldn't be bothered with him as a league centre half, but as a midfielder for us he was consistently dependable. Stein, Ferguson and Roxburgh all came to depend on him and Souness loved playing beside him.

Martin Buchan has been forgotten as a great player for us.

Both John Robertsons have been forgotten, too, although in the case of the Hearts striker, he barely got the chance to show what he could do for Scotland.

The Peru game has made us forget Don Masson was amazing for us until about then.

I wonder who has the worst call-ups to caps ratio. Gilks must be up there. Imagine turning up for all those squads knowing you'll never get ahead of Marshall and McGregor and that as soon as Gordon is fit, you won't even get called up (unless 1 if the 3 are injured).