Season 19/20 - Page 56 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

27 minutes ago, bonzo said:

Serious question, do you think Morelos will be at Ibrox after the new year?

I hope so. Not heard any recent transfer rumours so hopefully its just his agent agitating for a raise, again. 

13 hours ago, Dapo Mabude said:

What a player Morelos is! Absolutely insane scoring record and his all round game is brilliant. 20 goals already this season, that took him till Boxing Day to achieve last season, and at a  rate of a goal every 77 minutes.

You forgot to sign off with a “Scotland forever”

18 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I hope so. Not heard any recent transfer rumours so hopefully its just his agent agitating for a raise, again. 

10 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Or Rangers trying to drum up interest so they can see out the season.

Not my words btw, that's your accountants words!

Unless they get another cash injection/loan. I can't see how rangers will hold on to him. If he keeps scoring this way and avoids the red cards, I can't see why he would stay. Scottish football is stepping stone for prolific strikers and Morelos will want to play in England.

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Unless they get another cash injection/loan. I can't see how rangers will hold on to him. If he keeps scoring this way and avoids the red cards, I can't see why he would stay. Scottish football is stepping stone for prolific strikers and Morelos will want to play in England.

Very true. I'm just hoping he's away after we win the league at the end of the season. Nothing stopping me having some Christmas wishes. 😉

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Just watched sportscene, loved curtis mains opener, not often you see a proper diving heeder like that nowadays

Best since Billy Stark at hampden in 1986 against Hearts in a 3-0 win. 

Or for the younger generation, Peter Pawletts against Rijeka in a 3-0 win. 

Or for the middle generation, Darren Mackies against Dnipro in a.........

1-0 win. 

8 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

And long may that continue! 

With his discipline improving, if he keeps up this form it will be hard for clubs to ignore him. It'll be interesting to see if he keeps his discipline as the pressure on rangers increases.. 

32 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

With his discipline improving, if he keeps up this form it will be hard for clubs to ignore him. It'll be interesting to see if he keeps his discipline as the pressure on rangers increases.. 

Totally agree.  He has been very well behaved so far, but I am with you, no real pressure so far this year, once / if that changes, if he still keeps his cool then great, but I'm just 50/50 at the mo if he will.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Aye, he’s definitely had professional help with that over the summer.

He’s still got an edge to him and a petulant streak, but from what I’ve seen so far he’s toned it down massively, and he’d lose something if he lost that completely.

Be an interesting dilemma for Rangers if they get an offer of £10 million in January, but are likely to still be in touch with Celtic..

It kind of sums up the short term thinking of Rangers, their support and the people in charge.

They need £10 million to keep the lights on.

They have a window to sell a player for £10 million plus.

They appear to unanimously want to keep the player and borrow the £10 million.

🤷‍♂️

15 minutes ago, Dapo Mabude said:

£10 million ROFL. Wouldn't even merit a reply.

Whilst I think Rangers can rightly expect to make up the financial shortfall through fresh injections from shareholders, the fact that the club is losing money at such an alarming scale means that they will be seen as a softer target by other clubs looking to bid for any of their players, including Morelos. They will fancy their chances, understandably, of getting him for less than they would need to pay a club that are on an assured financial footing, or more of an assured financial footing. 

If I were Rangers, i'd prefer to make up for the shortfall by turning a huge profit on a player than the route King appeared to nod at in his statement. 

1 minute ago, AndyDD said:

If I were Rangers, i'd prefer to make up for the shortfall by turning a huge profit on a player than the route King appeared to nod at in his statement. 

Yeah,  I fully agree with that. But there is no pressing need to sell in January rather than the Summer of 2020. Plus £10m would not be getting full value for him at all. It would in fact be a huge mistake to sell for that amount.

2 minutes ago, Dapo Mabude said:

Yeah,  I fully agree with that. But there is no pressing need to sell in January rather than the Summer of 2020. Plus £10m would not be getting full value for him at all. It would in fact be a huge mistake to sell for that amount.

You might not see the summer of 2020 if you 1) don't sell somebody and 2) fail to qualify out the EL Group though. The accounts effectively say that.

£10m is only to plug a hole, it's not a fix. Clubs will do to Rangers exactly as they've done to others over the years, lowball you as they know you are skint.

If Celtic win the cup and are say 5 or 6 points ahead by the break (which I think they will be based on fixtures) then I think Rangers will have their hand forced re Morelos.

I honestly can't believe Rangers are losing so much money, so soon after the events of 2012. Folk said it years ago and I laughed it off trying to stop 10IAR could literally kill them as they are going to need to strengthen again in January which is something they cannot afford, as Celtic sure as hell will spend money.

Just now, Dapo Mabude said:

I think waiting until the Summer might actually hurt the price tag, unless the funding comes in from other sources before then. If it doesn't, then there will suddenly be a pressing need to sell him and clubs will use that to their advantage. 

It would be a mistake to sell him for 10 million, I agree. If Rangers had financial strength, I don't think 18-22 Million would be unreasonable or out of the question, given the market. But given how things are financially, if I was a club looking to test Rangers out, I'd offer 10 and see what they say. I'd then knock it up to 12, then 15. And I think 15 Million, given the wider context, wouldn't be the worst fee in the world. Especially if a good amount can be secured up front and a decent sell-on clause negotiated. 

I suppose it's a gamble on securing that extra money from other means. And a sorry state of affairs that it's even in question.