Season 19/20 - Page 260 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

17 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

I agree with the colts bit absolutely.  My thoughts were that the game up here needs a bigger top tier and 3 divisions.  It has needed that for years.  If you don't believe that when were we last at a major tournament?  1998.  So something needs to change.  Rangers put a proposal down which was rejected.  But in the interests of our game u here as a small country there should be a governing body who are voted in and make the decisions.  42 clubs are never going to agree on the length of a bit of string.

I do think a bigger division would be a positive. However the only proposal put forward either involved colts teams or were temporary. Neither were the right option IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I do think a bigger division would be a positive. However the only proposal put forward either involved colts teams or were temporary. Neither were the right option IMO. 

A bigger top league would be better for all sorts of reasons including being able to blood young players.  I think though and tell me what your opinion is that other club Chairmen want the Old Firm for the gate and the TV.  That is my opinion and it has been to the detriment of our game.  To sum it up.  Greed.  Don't know if you still go to games but it is the guy who pays money every week that is being conned.  Aberdeen and the rest have no chance next year.  I for one would love to see the Dons get back and challenege again  And the rest.  I know you think I am a prick etc etc but my heart is with our game up here.  Met the new first team coach of St Johnstone in Tesco last week and he is the same.  No a prick btw 👍 I mean I am but he isn't!!

11 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

A bigger top league would be better for all sorts of reasons including being able to blood young players.  I think though and tell me what your opinion is that other club Chairmen want the Old Firm for the gate and the TV.  That is my opinion and it has been to the detriment of our game.  To sum it up.  Greed.  Don't know if you still go to games but it is the guy who pays money every week that is being conned.  Aberdeen and the rest have no chance next year.  I for one would love to see the Dons get back and challenege again  And the rest.  I know you think I am a prick etc etc but my heart is with our game up here.  Met the new first team coach of St Johnstone in Tesco last week and he is the same.  No a prick btw 👍 I mean I am but he isn't!!

We'll never have a truly competitive league until we have shared gate receipts. It's the only way we can close the financial gap that kills competition. 

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

We'll never have a truly competitive league until we have shared gate receipts. It's the only way we can close the financial gap that kills competition. 

You know something and being serious for a change.  I never thought of that.  I mean that.  But again why when would the OF agree to that?  I think that is a good idea.  But honestly never thought of that.  But like everything else in Scottish football they listen to the supporters.  Greed alone.  Hence why I say that there should be one small governing body that makes these kind of decisions.  Do you remember David Taylor of the SFA?  He had the same opinion as us.  Met him one night in Paris through a mutual friend and blethered away.  The likes of him should come back and make these kind of decisions.  Don't know If he is still with UEFA or retired.  But he was a good man with interests in the Scottish game.

I've very little to add to the discussion other than to reiterate what others have said. 

Fuck Hearts, long may you rot in the lower ranks of Scottish football. Is it true that Albert Kidd was selected on the I dependent panel? 

Edited by Farcity

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

How would that work though, genuine question. If say Celtic sell 60,000 seats, Dundee sell 20,000, how would you share this? I'm just using Celtic as an example as they get the biggest gate receipt in Scotland.. I agree something has to be done, or it will never change. Dont get me wrong, I love winning, but is HAS to be more competitive for the good of Scottish football... Just sayin like..

2 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

How would that work though, genuine question. If say Celtic sell 60,000 seats, Dundee sell 20,000, how would you share this? I'm just using Celtic as an example as they get the biggest gate receipt in Scotland.. I agree something has to be done, or it will never change. Dont get me wrong, I love winning, but is HAS to be more competitive for the good of Scottish football... Just sayin like..

I presume the same way that it works in the cup?

7 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

How does it work in the Cup? 

That's the way it used to work. The gate money for league games used to be split until the early 80s. Not sure if it was 50/50.  I have a feeling the home side got a slightly bigger share due to costs of hosting the match.

In those days, the OF were regularly getting crowds in the teens and twenties and the other teams had much bigger stadiums so the difference in crowds was much less than it is now.

6 minutes ago, Ta Ta said:

That's the way it used to work. The gate money for league games used to be split until the early 80s. Not sure if it was 50/50.  I have a feeling the home side got a slightly bigger share due to costs of hosting the match.

In those days, the OF were regularly getting crowds in the teens and twenties and the other teams had much bigger stadiums so the difference in crowds was much less than it is now.

Cheers for that, but we all know that wont work nowadays.. I dont know what the answer is. 

2 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

You know something and being serious for a change.  I never thought of that.  I mean that.  But again why when would the OF agree to that?  I think that is a good idea.  But honestly never thought of that.  But like everything else in Scottish football they listen to the supporters.  Greed alone.  Hence why I say that there should be one small governing body that makes these kind of decisions.  Do you remember David Taylor of the SFA?  He had the same opinion as us.  Met him one night in Paris through a mutual friend and blethered away.  The likes of him should come back and make these kind of decisions.  Don't know If he is still with UEFA or retired.  But he was a good man with interests in the Scottish game.

Greed isn’t across the board. Aberdeen have cut rangers & Celtic allocation to about 1,000, simply because the money is not needed or wanted. Hopefully it’ll be cut in half again very soon, make it a fairer % of allocation that we get down there. 

Can always hope. 

3 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

How does it work in the Cup? 

Gate receipts are split 50:50 after costs of putting the match on are taken off. 

No reason that they'd have to be split 50:50 either. Could easily be split 65:35. Celtic would still retain a huge financial advantage over everyone not called "Rangers" but we'd have a chance of a more competitive division all round. 

3 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Gate receipts are split 50:50 after costs of putting the match on are taken off. 

No reason that they'd have to be split 50:50 either. Could easily be split 65:35. Celtic would still retain a huge financial advantage over everyone not called "Rangers" but we'd have a chance of a more competitive division all round. 

That would make sense..

Disappointed but not surprised by the decision today. It was always going to be a long-shot. Relegation I can deal with - we've been there before - but to go down with a game in hand and only two points from "safety" - that sticks in the craw (not that I'd much faith that we'd have won the game in hand, given Thistle have been shite for, well, most of the past three years, truth be told!).

This could have been an opportunity for the reconstruction that, I think, most fans would have welcomed (a 14-14-14 set-up would have been ideal, IMO). Instead the whole thing was allowed to boil way out of hand, likely resulting in a lot of ill-feeling between clubs that's likely to be long-term, and, in some cases, towards the governing body. A masterclass in how not to run the game!

7 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

I doubt David Taylor will come back as he’s been deid for six years!

12 hours ago, Ta Ta said:

Spot on, remember as a youngster at school slagging off my Rangers mates as St Mirren got  bigger crowd for 2nd Tier home game against Dundee And East Fife, than Rangers got for their home games against Hibs and Aberdeen the same month.

( Would have been around Feb/March 1977 ).

How times have changed. 

11 minutes ago, Jersey Jim said:

Spot on, remember as a youngster at school slagging off my Rangers mates as St Mirren got  bigger crowd for 2nd Tier home game against Dundee And East Fife, than Rangers got for their home games against Hibs and Aberdeen the same month.

( Would have been around Feb/March 1977 ).

How times have changed. 

Where's  the edit button?
Just checked tinternet, we did indeed have a bigger crowd for our home game against Dundee than Rangers did against the Hibees.

But not against East Fife, old age kicking in I suppose, but point still stands, Rangers getting 12,000 and 16,000, St Mirren 12,500 and 10,000.

Celtics home crowds were similar back then also. 

8 hours ago, McTeeko said:

I doubt David Taylor will come back as he’s been deid for six years!

Oh.  I didn't know that pal.  Sorry.  Met him in Paris and he was a genuine guy.  He had his wife and kids when I first met him during the day and my pal organised  to meet in a pub later after the game.  Didn't know he was gone now.  Sad at that.

1 hour ago, Jersey Jim said:

Where's  the edit button?
Just checked tinternet, we did indeed have a bigger crowd for our home game against Dundee than Rangers did against the Hibees.

But not against East Fife, old age kicking in I suppose, but point still stands, Rangers getting 12,000 and 16,000, St Mirren 12,500 and 10,000.

Celtics home crowds were similar back then also. 

Any attendance figures coming out of Parkhead back then were to be taken with a massive pinch of salt. That was when they had the Anti-Seville calculator.

49 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Any attendance figures coming out of Parkhead back then were to be taken with a massive pinch of salt. That was when they had the Anti-Seville calculator.

I think most clubs did that back then.

One that springs to mind is George Bests debut for Hibs at Love St.

Official attendance was given as just over 13,000, Hibs brought thru around 9,000, our average crowd then was over 8,000 and loads more turned out that day just to see Best play. At least 19,000 that day.

Edited by Jersey Jim

The only way it'll change is if the OF get bored of horsing everyone and can't see it as they'll be wrapped up in the annual coin tossing event of who wins the tin pot league for infinity as the stars to badge ratio continues to shrink.  

Can't be arsed going watch United to prop up the pretence of a competition.  If they have a good season then they'll spend 8 games trying not to get skelped by the OF and possibly another 2 in the cup if its a really good year.  That's potentially 20-25% of the season spent playing 2 sides with resources that are becoming increasing futile to try and compete with - what's the point in spending hundreds of pounds on that?      

To compound it Covid-19 has probably put a spanner in most academies so the OF will continue buying relative crap that won't allow them to progress as far as they want in Europe and the diddies will chuck thousands of pounds in wages that they can't recoup on knackered/ crap journeymen from the arse end of the English leagues.