Season 19/20 - Page 248 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

On 7/4/2020 at 6:02 PM, Brassrubber said:

Really ? decisions went as planned for HMFC and PTFC still looking like minus .79 and back to 8 in a row once the corruption is revealed.. Well played Brother Lord Clarke

You, sir, are not the full shilling. 

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 6:02 PM, Brassrubber said:

Really ? decisions went as planned for HMFC and PTFC still looking like minus .79 and back to 8 in a row once the corruption is revealed.. Well played Brother Lord Clarke

Enjoy the Championship, I'm sure you can remember it well from your recent spell there.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

2 hours ago, kumnio said:

Utd have got the begging cap out.

Im not one of these fans to criticise their local rivals, but I think this is pretty iffy.

Yes and no.

By "Yes" , I mean that clubs shouldn't keep reaching out to fans to pay their bills.

By "No", I mean it's absolutely ridiculous that Utd, Raith and Cove should be incurring even one penny of financial costs due to the SPFL combined decision to end the league early etc. It's a complete joke.

If anyone should cover the costs it should be the joint clubs/SPFL etc together. Totally shocking IMO.

PS - I've said at least once on here weeks/months ago, the one really bad decision was ending the 2019-2020 league early.

It should have been completed however late and the next season started whenever possible.

If they hadn't done that then none of this would have happened, Utd (and Raith, Cove etc) could/would have won their leagues, Hearts probably relegated and Partick had a sporting chance with one game in hand etc, etc.

15 minutes ago, fringo said:

PS - I've said at least once on here weeks/months ago, the one really bad decision was ending the 2019-2020 league early.

It should have been completed however late and the next season started whenever possible.

If they hadn't done that then none of this would have happened, Utd (and Raith, Cove etc) could/would have won their leagues, Hearts probably relegated and Partick had a sporting chance with one game in hand etc, etc.

Celtic would probably have been champions.

19 minutes ago, fringo said:

By "No", I mean it's absolutely ridiculous that Utd, Raith and Cove should be incurring even one penny of financial costs due to the SPFL combined decision to end the league early etc. It's a complete joke.

If anyone should cover the costs it should be the joint clubs/SPFL etc together. Totally shocking IMO.

Imagine, just imagine, if a small number of clubs had come out at the time and said we would all end up in court if the season was ended early. May be one of those clubs could have put this in some sort of report, or something, and then given a copy to all the clubs?

1 minute ago, Stu101 said:

Imagine, just imagine, if a small number of clubs had come out at the time and said we would all end up in court if the season was ended early. May be one of those clubs could have put this in some sort of report, or something, and then given a copy to all the clubs?

Exactly Stu.

29 minutes ago, fringo said:

I don’t think they could possibly have had it done in time to give UEFA the participants for Europe. Remember full contact training only started last Monday for most clubs.

I don’t think they went about it properly, but ultimately stumbled upon the correct decision.

Just now, sbcmfc said:

I don’t think they could possibly have had it done in time to give UEFA the participants for Europe. Remember full contact training only started last Monday for most clubs.

I don’t think they went about it properly, but ultimately stumbled upon the correct decision.

I still disagree and would again use examples of other leagues in Europe.

UEFA too should have reorganised accordingly for this/next and even the following seasons.

Postpone next season if required and work it out from there but you can't stop this season after 3/4 of it done. 

1 hour ago, fringo said:

I still disagree and would again use examples of other leagues in Europe.

UEFA too should have reorganised accordingly for this/next and even the following seasons.

Postpone next season if required and work it out from there but you can't stop this season after 3/4 of it done. 

I’d look at league one and below in England or France as counter examples.

A lot of the similar size/standard leagues are in Scandinavia, not sure what they’re doing and what stage they were at in their seasons?

16 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

A lot of the similar size/standard leagues are in Scandinavia, not sure what they’re doing and what stage they were at in their seasons?

Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Iceland and the Baltic states all playing again. Doesnt seem to be any difference in the leagues that were finishing and those that play over the summer.

4 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Iceland and the Baltic states all playing again. Doesnt seem to be any difference in the leagues that were finishing and those that play over the summer.

The summer leagues will have their European entries picked from last season. Presume the other countries were a good bit ahead in the easing of lockdown?

Without the resources of the EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga or serie A I just don’t think it would be possible to have completed our season in time.

If you can solve the UEFA/European entry problem, I’d probably rather have finished last season in August and September then start a new truncated season after a week or 2 break, but as time has gone on, so many other factors come into it, players contracts etc. The Sky deal, there are too many reasons why it just wasn’t realistic.

Teams can’t get promoted/relegated in September and build a new squad, as even if we relaxed our transfer windows other countries wouldn’t.

I wanted to finish 19/20, but it’s just not realistic and hasn’t been for some time now.

5 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

The summer leagues will have their European entries picked from last season. Presume the other countries were a good bit ahead in the easing of lockdown?

From what i know it was mixed. Sweden never realy lockdown at all, Norway came out earlish, Finland was the start to the middle of last month. Norway and Finland still have a number of restrictions in place.

Just seems that 90% percent of all leagues big and small in Europe are going to be finished (France, Scotland, England lower, Belgium being the exceptions i think? Have I missed any?). With a bit of ingenuity we could have been of those leagues. Just a shame we couldnt have got it done.

Now we are in court, as predicted. One thing that is clear from this is that we need an independent board running the SPFL. What came out in court last week made that crystal clear.