Season 19/20 - Page 243 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

EPL starts back tonight.

Its a billion pound business, they have money for testing, could afford to wait and see and are now ready to go.

SPFL prem teams have just started training this week, in some cases non contact socially distanced training, we’re 2 weeks from contact training, which means you’re looking at the end of July before a Competitive game could be played. You need 5-6 weeks to play out season, more with play offs, presuming no club involved has an outbreak....

Half the squad at some clubs had contracts that expired weeks ago.

Its oranges and apples. I was all for giving every chance to finish the 19/20 season, but looking at the reality (and disparity in resources) we would be so far behind. All these top leagues that are finishing will be wrapped up by mid-late July. We’d just be starting back which would throw up all sorts of scheduling problems for 20/21.

Its not what I wanted, but ultimately it’s the correct decision, even if it was reached in a haphazard manner.

3 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

EPL starts back tonight.

Its a billion pound business, they have money for testing, could afford to wait and see and are now ready to go.

SPFL prem teams have just started training this week, in some cases non contact socially distanced training, we’re 2 weeks from contact training, which means you’re looking at the end of July before a Competitive game could be played. You need 5-6 weeks to play out season, more with play offs, presuming no club involved has an outbreak....

Half the squad at some clubs had contracts that expired weeks ago.

Its oranges and apples. I was all for giving every chance to finish the 19/20 season, but looking at the reality (and disparity in resources) we would be so far behind. All these top leagues that are finishing will be wrapped up by mid-late July. We’d just be starting back which would throw up all sorts of scheduling problems for 20/21.

Its not what I wanted, but ultimately it’s the correct decision, even if it was reached in a haphazard manner.

Feck off wi' yar reasoned argument pish..... Its a conspiracy I tell you! Doncaster must go! 

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

The decision to not play out the remaining games grows more baffling by the day.

Baffles you maybe, doesn't appear to be the same feeling of confusion for most on here. Common sense decision reached. 

3 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

So why is it not over in England?

Because they could afford to stall it and afford testing etc. 

2 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

If we had waited we wouldn't need to pay the tv rights back.

teams have lots of contracts ending so would have struggled to put a full team out, cant afford testing either and the tb money would not have covered it

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

The decision to not play out the remaining games grows more baffling by the day.

does it really though.

MONEY is key, we dont have any!

A cheese cake is not a urinal cake, and vice versa. One tastes very good, the other one probably doesn't.

Despite both saying cake, they are different.

Scotland is not England, and vice verse. One has a blue flag, and the other is white.

Despite both saying land, they are different.

That was my college class today, hopefully everyone can understand that simple lesson. Tomorrow we will learn to count to 10 in a row.

30 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

8 games to go and season was not finished.  2 games a week behind closed doors would have done it.  Rocket science indeed.  But naw.  We cant be like Germany or England.  We have to make snap decisions which were wrong.  

Snap decisions aye but as sbcmfc has highlighted above was most likely (fortuitously) right.

3 hours ago, slasher said:

If the cunts who run our clubs weren't expecting this they're thicker than I realised. If I booked and paid for a 4 week holiday but the company cancelled the last week I'd expect a fuckin rebate. Mon tae fuck man, if you seriously don't think this was discussed you've been listening to too much propaganda 🙄

This is exactly one of the points in Rangers dossier- that in trying to steer the clubs to one conclusion, the liabilites werent properly disclosed.

9 minutes ago, kumnio said:

A cheese cake is not a urinal cake, and vice versa. One tastes very good, the other one probably doesn't.

Despite both saying cake, they are different.

Scotland is not England, and vice verse. One has a blue flag, and the other is white.

Despite both saying land, they are different.

That was my college class today, hopefully everyone can understand that simple lesson. Tomorrow we will learn to count to 10 in a row.

1, 2*, 3*, 4*, 5*, 6, 7, 8, 9*,10 

3 hours ago, shaggycoo said:

You know why, they could afford to wait until now - Scotland couldn't.

Because they get far more from tv companies than we do and couldn’t afford to pay them back for games not televised, it wouldn’t huv been a couple of million like us  and would finished a few big clubs off, they rely on tv money much more than we do, it’s how they pay huge transfer fees and astronomical wages. Would love to see them lose their billion £ tv deals the spoilt brats.

Edited by RDFH64

Wouldn't compare Scottish and English Leagues tbh. These countries tho?  Saturdays fixtures. Varying factors country to country I suppose. Anyway why am I bothering The Mighty Well in Europe!!! 😛

Screenshot_20200617-133658.thumb.png.2f01d8da4c2bf8ae2780e7f283fa134a.png

Edited by Och Aye

1 hour ago, Farcity said:

Baffles you maybe, doesn't appear to be the same feeling of confusion for most on here. Common sense decision reached. 

With the English games starting up tonight would you not rather we were doing the same at this point? I know I would.

What were the big advantages of calling it and at the same time guaranteeing zero revenue possibilities until next season kicks off.

And from reading the above it is actually going to cost a heap of cash in TV compensation for not playing the games.

Why not just play it out now things are relaxing, satisfy the TV folk contracts and the fans and have a much more satisfying conclusion to the season without all the ifs and buts.

I increasing don't get why it was done (didn't at the time either but it is getting stronger now seeing other leagues restart) and why so early. It was premature and hasty I feel and the wrong option. Done now though so spilt milk...

I think a lot has to be said for clarity, they then knew exactly where they stood otherwise it could've dragged on for an infinite length of time. If the decision at the time was to sit and wait to finish then they would be able to play it out, but that's not possible now. Do we even have the testing facilities in place at each club and was the funding there to make it practical? I think the new TV deal must have a big part to play in it. Roll this season on, cut the fixtures for next season, no way would they get away with that, rightly or wrongly. 

It's not just Scotland that decided to go this way and ultimately it was the club's that decided this by a large majority so obviously they will have their reasons, perhaps they should inform their supporters why they came to their conclusion. 

1 hour ago, Och Aye said:

Wouldn't compare Scottish and English Leagues tbh. These countries tho?  Saturdays fixtures. Varying factors country to country I suppose. Anyway why am I bothering The Mighty Well in Europe!!! 😛

The Norwegian league whose season started only a couple of days ago isn't really relevant. 

Also in pretty much every other European country, they seemed to manage the virus a whole lot better than us allowing them to more forward more quickly and more safely. 

40 minutes ago, Farcity said:

The Norwegian league whose season started only a couple of days ago isn't really relevant. 

Also in pretty much every other European country, they seemed to manage the virus a whole lot better than us allowing them to more forward more quickly and more safely. 

Don’t want to get bogged down in the politics, but the government waited too long, didn’t really enforce lockdown with inconsistent messages and I think we’ll find folk have relaxed too quickly been given an inch and taken a mile...
(not to mention just letting people fly in from all over the world and then get public transport etc. unchecked)

As I said above, I seem to have gone the opposite way from Thplinth. I think they made a lot of rash, short term, ill thought out decisions, but ultimately they have probably stumbled on the correct course of action.

I get the clubs needed clarity, so the SPFL had to be decisive.

Who is to say the EPL will finish? If numbers go through the roof again or players/staff at clubs start testing positive they may still have to pull the plug?

A more comparable example would probably be league 1 & 2 in England, who called last week. If you really must pick a comparison in level and corona virus situation.

4 hours ago, Och Aye said:

Aye...but we're too wee, too poor and too stupid...

...the amount of nationalists on here that have pretty much said the above phrase with regards to this fitba nonsense, would make you queasy

7 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Would it not have been prudent for the SPFL to have some sort of Pandemic Insurance so that if something like this happens they are covering the costs of any liabilities?  That's probably a bit too sensible and forward thinking for them to have considered I suppose.

What, a la Aberdeen?

did they not have it until 31 March and the insurance co. wouldn’t renew (shockeroonie)

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Aye...but we're too wee, too poor and too stupid...

...the amount of nationalists on here that have pretty much said the above phrase with regards to this fitba nonsense, would make you queasy

What an utter pile of shite to come out with. 😂😂😂😂