Season 19/20 - Page 236 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I suppose the next question would be, does Scotland have 24 teams who could fit that criteria.  

Teams like Airdrie, Dumbarton, Dunfermline and Raith for example might be inclined to commit to full time football with youth teams and academys if there was financial stability and no risk of short term relegation.

Imo this would be the best compromise between an American system and our current open sporting system. 

Falkirk are an example of where our current system has limitations / problems. They investigated alot into an academy and youth system but found that it wasnt profitable and scrapped it. They then slid down the league and find themselves in 3rd tier and may have to go part time.

If resources had been spread between just 2 leagues, with no threat of relegation and all the other teams also having to use money on youth then they would have been able to continue to promote youth and possibly build towards promotion.

If you look at our "big clubs" outside the Old Firm, only Aberdeen have been reasonably secure in recent years and it can be said that they have been able to build year on year as a result. (Consistent top 4, plans to build new stadium and training complex). Others like Hearts, Hibs, Dundee Utd and Dundee have all been relegated and then all focus goes onto getting straight back up. Short term thinking becomes the norm rather than building for a more successful long term.

There is zero reason why with financial stability the above clubs couldnt be challenging the Old Firm in 10 years.

5 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

Genuine question. Why has the Scottish season and particularly the top flight been called ? The Spanish, English, Italian and German to name a few are about to or have restarted.

Because Peter is in charge. Surely you didn’t need to ask? 

8 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

Surely you would have preferred Celtic to win it on the pitch?

Yes however it was the correct call. Clubs wouldn’t/couldn’t play behind closed doors due to finances was the biggest reason. It’s a shame it wasn’t played to the end as we’d have won by a huge distance however as I’ve said the correct call was made.

57 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

Genuine question. Why has the Scottish season and particularly the top flight been called ? The Spanish, English, Italian and German to name a few are about to or have restarted.

The spanish, english, italian and german leagues can afford to take the hit on finances.

2 hours ago, macy37 said:

Yes however it was the correct call. Clubs wouldn’t/couldn’t play behind closed doors due to finances was the biggest reason.

.......although the proposal now seems to be starting next season behind closed doors on August the 1st. Wonder how that will work with the finances.

3 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

.......although the proposal now seems to be starting next season behind closed doors on August the 1st. Wonder how that will work with the finances.

Very badly. I'd be amazed if that happens in Scotland. 

34 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Maybe I'm being overly pessimistic but I really can't see how smaller clubs are going to be able to function for long under those conditions. Lockdown easing would need to happen much faster than expected. 

I agree. Just cant see it.

3 hours ago, EddardStark said:

Surely you would have preferred Celtic to win it on the pitch?

Yes, which is why Celtic said that all along rather than releasing statements saying they were opposed to behind closed doors games.

Btw Celtic did win it on the pitch. The names weren't picked out a hat, Celtic were declared champions as we had the most points, by some distance, again.

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

The spanish, english, italian and german leagues can afford to take the hit on finances.

Plus a much larger percentage of their income is from TV money versus gate money  whereas in Scotland we rely much more on the gate money as a proportion of overall income.

Perhaps the top division could just about get by playing behind closed doors for a limited period due to the new improved* Sky deal.

*Improved in terms of pure financial increase and not necessarily in terms of quality of broadcast, overall good for the game, etc

6 hours ago, Terry Munro said:

Yes, which is why Celtic said that all along rather than releasing statements saying they were opposed to behind closed doors games.

Btw Celtic did win it on the pitch. The names weren't picked out a hat, Celtic were declared champions as we had the most points, by some distance, again.

For the want of being boring.  The league wasn't won.  Right, away to get my helicopter.

Celtic had it won but I still think it was the wrong decision to just call it and award the trophy. Especially now seeing other leagues reopening. People are so starved of sports that playing behind closed doors while not ideal could still have been turned into a very decent money spinner. It would have been far better than nothing which is what they got by just saying it is over. Another fucking stupid decision from the SFA or SPL or whoever it was.

11 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Celtic had it won but I still think it was the wrong decision to just call it and award the trophy. Especially now seeing other leagues reopening. People are so starved of sports that playing behind closed doors while not ideal could still have been turned into a very decent money spinner. It would have been far better than nothing which is what they got by just saying it is over. Another fucking stupid decision from the SFA or SPL or whoever it was.

The decision was made by the clubs

33 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Celtic would have won it, no question, and probably by a larger points difference than when the league was stopped. However, now have this quazi stuation where half the country wont accept it, because of how it was stopped...... which ironically harks back to Rangers orignal proposal where the money should have paid out to help clubs (which eventually the SPFL said could be done) and if possible, the league finished.

Anyway, the first games back in Denmark had 218% more viewers than they would normally expect (on-line). Most paid to view. Our clubs are saying there is no money there. There is and was. They are just so archaic, that quite frankly some deserved to go (I'll tell you that story some time other- away to enjoy the sun).