Season 19/20 - Page 226 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Yeah, I was agreeing with you Fairbairn, I just thought it was a Scottish way of saying idiot though.

1 minute ago, Eisegerwind said:

Like Livingstone.

Jesus, are you a dog with a bone over this.

I don't know if I misspelled it, or it was autocorrect, whatever it was, it really wasn't a big deal.

3 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Yeah, I was agreeing with you Fairbairn, I just thought it was a Scottish way of saying idiot though.

Jesus, are you a dog with a bone over this.

I don't know if I misspelled it, or it was autocorrect, whatever it was, it really wasn't a big deal.

Not really, I was just interested,as I find language interesting and I have Livingston connections. Also be interested to know what a 'pretend' word is?

13 minutes ago, kumnio said:

All words are made up, but Id say pretend words are words that are, slang,  regional variations, or words not in the dictionary, but its incredibly open to interpretation.

Yeah, I think that's a pretty old fashioned and British Empire driven way of looking at it though, 'If you're not speaking the Queens English you are doing it wrong, using pretend words, and by inference, inferior'.

Edited by Eisegerwind

35 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Yeah, I think that's a pretty old fashioned and British Empire driven way of looking at it though, 'If you're not speaking the Queens English you are doing it wrong, using pretend words, and by inference, inferior'.

Yeah thats quite an entitled point of view.

6 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Livingston are a pretend club....

Actually, does anyone on here support them? Franchise cunts.

A lot of Glasgow 'overspill' went to Livingston, most return to their cultural allegiances for football, also explains the sauce/ vinegar anomaly.

SPFL virtual meeting this morning.  Celtic deserve to be at the top.  It's the bottom I have a problem with.  It just doesn't seem fair that Hearts, Partick (especially)  should be relegated when the season has had to be stopped.  Celtic would have won the league, I have no doubts about that.  Just the relegation situation that wrankles.  I am sure it also does with the member clubs and the SPFL.  Tough decisions.

2 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

I can't see a scenario for a very long time that involves fans in the stadium.  The 2020/21 season might not start until October at the earliest. How the hell are many clubs going to survive football under COVID 19 restrictions?

I agree mate.  The only solutions I think are the Govt and Sky.  You cant really ask the fans I don't think although fundraising is always an option to help keep the smaller clubs alive.

1 hour ago, Rolling hIlls said:

I agree mate.  The only solutions I think are the Govt and Sky.  You cant really ask the fans I don't think although fundraising is always an option to help keep the smaller clubs alive.

Smaller clubs?????

2 hours ago, EddardStark said:

I can't see a scenario for a very long time that involves fans in the stadium.  The 2020/21 season might not start until October at the earliest. How the hell are many clubs going to survive football under COVID 19 restrictions?

They won't,  plenty will go bust.

I think it will need a government package, however there is a very vocal group who would lambast the SNP for 'wasting' money on football.  These will also be the same people who didn't say a word about Rugby league getting a government loan package.

I think the small clubs with low overheads will be OK. It will be the medium and large clubs with big overheads who will struggle.

I think playing out the season behind closed doors is they way to go as a start.

That will at least keep the Sky / subscription money flowing. 

Smaller clubs could maybe find a way to monetize their games by taking advantage of sites to live stream the games for a fee. Not a nerd so just guessing here. That way fans can find away to keep them solvent until things finally get back to normal.

This grinding halt pish is no good.

Edited by thplinth

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11989847/port-vale-chair-shanahan-we-had-to-give-efl-mandate

Port Vale Chairwoman on voting for the league to finish.  

Vale one point off the playoffs, were in the playoffs the game before lockdown and had two home games coming up.  Instead of kicking up a fuss and trying to get teams below them to weigh in to their response is a breath of fresh air.  When league 2 in England can deal with things better than those at the top in our own it's embarrassing.   

33 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I think playing out the season behind closed doors is they way to go as a start.

That will at least keep the Sky / subscription money flowing. 

Smaller clubs could maybe find a way to monetize their games by taking advantage of sites to live stream the games for a fee. Not a nerd so just guessing here. That way fans can find away to keep them solvent until things finally get back to normal.

This grinding halt pish is no good.

Championship teams already have stream facilities for folk outside UK so would imagine its pretty easy to sort out.  Just need three cameras and a ropey local amateur do the commentary.  

I remember the first game I watched on it and the fella says 'Stoke clean through - fuck sake Diouf you're so shit! erm erm unlucky there from Diouf under pressure.'   Worth the fiver alone.  

If the league does get decided today then I'm sure there will plenty of noise from the hordes of Ibrox when the reality is they've no one else to blame but themselves.

After winning at Celtic Park, they were a point behind with a game in hand and then in the intervening 8 week period found themselves 13 points behind with a game in hand. That is a bottle crash of gigantic proportions and all the time up against one of the most limited managers in Celtics recent history. 

No one wants the title this way but It certainly makes it all the sweeter knowing they absolutely shat the bed and are blaming everyone but themselves for this outcome.