Season 19/20 - Page 183 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

22 minutes ago, Mox said:

There is 8 games left, you cannot just end the season make us champions and relegate Hearts. The situation needs to be reasses at the end of May/start of June, the SFA have got to show patience and flexibility, no e of which they have in spades.

Agreed, but this is being driven by the clubs that need the money. If the league is declared now, then the top clubs risk having no European football next year. Not fair on Celtic and Rangers, who both have approprate insurance cover, along with another four clubs.

1 hour ago, Mox said:

There is 8 games left, you cannot just end the season make us champions and relegate Hearts. The situation needs to be reasses at the end of May/start of June, the SFA have got to show patience and flexibility, no e of which they have in spades.

The SFA is made up of its member clubs, each club has its own agenda. 

UEFA need to give confirmation regarding european places first. If they insist on next seasons european competitions starting at the usual time, there may not be enough time to finish this season.

2 hours ago, Stu101 said:

Agreed, but this is being driven by the clubs that need the money. If the league is declared now, then the top clubs risk having no European football next year. Not fair on Celtic and Rangers, who both have approprate insurance cover, along with another four clubs.

You would think that there must be a way way of paying out prize money now without making any decisions about who won the league or who gets relegated etc. 

There should be no need to make any decision about finishing this years competitions until we have a better idea about when football can restart. I doubt we will see any games played before October and maybe not even then. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see games start again until spring 2021. Wait until they have a better idea of when games can restart then make the big decisions at that stage.

13 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

You would think that there must be a way way of paying out prize money now without making any decisions about who won the league or who gets relegated etc.

There is seemingly, which is what Rangers were on about in their (convoluted) statement yesterday. Would require a vote. Cant think why any club would vote against it.

19 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

There is seemingly, which is what Rangers were on about in their (convoluted) statement yesterday. Would require a vote. Cant think why any club would vote against it.

Might go against the grain to vote for a common sense plan?

14 minutes ago, Farcity said:

How can you pay out prize money when you don't know the final positions?

It would be paid out on the positions calculated by the average formula, i suspect. If the league doesnt start again, that would only leave 2 clubs whose amounts could change. Or to be safer, you pay out a base amount calculated with referrence to the range in which clubs could end up, topped up when the final placings are known.

Or you do nothing and certain clubs wont exist come September.

Never mind prize money what about the amount of bets placed that will need a resolution. Can imagine the bookies will have large sums on their books that they will want decided rather than have to give it all back. Could see a few palms getting greased with so much at stake. 

1 hour ago, Stu101 said:

It would be paid out on the positions calculated by the average formula, i suspect. If the league doesnt start again, that would only leave 2 clubs whose amounts could change. Or to be safer, you pay out a base amount calculated with referrence to the range in which clubs could end up, topped up when the final placings are known.

Or alternatively, call it a day now,pay out and be done with it. 

2 hours ago, Stu101 said:

The Rangers proposal is actually interest free loans equal to the amount that each club would have received, according to the Athletic.

29 minutes ago, Farcity said:

Or alternatively, call it a day now,pay out and be done with it. 

and what happens if we can play games at the end of May? The Rangers plan allows money to go the clubs, and the option for the league to be completed, if conditions improve. Might only be a small chance of this, but the league must be allow to be played out if it can. This is especially in light of the plans down south this afternoon. The alternative risks no European football next season.

I cant imagine anyone who supports the game in Scotland to be against this, unless you are just against it because its a Rangers plan?

23 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

and what happens if we can play games at the end of May? The Rangers plan allows money to go the clubs, and the option for the league to be completed, if conditions improve. Might only be a small chance of this, but the league must be allow to be played out if it can. This is especially in light of the plans down south this afternoon. The alternative risks no European football next season.

I cant imagine anyone who supports the game in Scotland to be against this, unless you are just against it because its a Rangers plan?

I'd guess there is zero chance of the season being finished, none. To drag it on and on opens other areas of contention, transfer windows, pre-cobtracts, contract expires etc etc. 

Uefa wouldn't simply ban Scottish and Belgian clubs,  I'd guess there will be others too. 

36 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Scottish football suspension extended to june 10th

Even training can’t take place before that date. Mid-July at the earliest before matches.

I thought they’d already paid out money based on lowest position teams could finish. Motherwell along with the OF got significantly more as they were all guaranteed top 6.

That seems sensible way to do it. Either that or divide pot by 12, but can’t see the teams in top half voting for that.

22 hours ago, thplinth said:

Never mind prize money what about the amount of bets placed that will need a resolution. Can imagine the bookies will have large sums on their books that they will want decided rather than have to give it all back. Could see a few palms getting greased with so much at stake. 

Aye, I’ve got a bet on that’s pretty much in, for £300, in the unlikely event League one carries on and Sunderland win it, it goes to £2400. If they hadn’t had found form in January/February it would’ve been cashed in already. 😂

Motherwell top 6 finish

Dundee Utd Champions

leicester top 6 finish

WBA - promoted

Sunderland -Champions 

any 4 and all 5.

There is no perfect solution to this and the proposal seems reasonably sensible to me. Call the three lower leagues now with current positions final. There's no way there will be games before mid July at the absolutely most optimistic and many of the lower league clubs simply won't survive that long.

The proposal states that the Premiership will be played to a finish if at all possible and only if that becomes impossible will the current positions be deemed final.  Ideally the season should be played to a conclusion but it's looking more and more unlikely as every day passes.

The only clubs against this seem to be those who occupy the bottom positions, plus Falkirk,  and it's obvious why. If Hearts were second bottom on goal difference they'd be taking a very different stance. Rangers are only against it because they are desperate for the season to be declared null and void and their only lingering hope of this is for this proposal to fall. At least Partick and Stranraer are open about the reasons for their opposition. For Rangers and Hearts to try and pretend it's about protecting all the clubs is a joke.

Those clubs who vote against the proposals must be put on the spot and forced to declare publicly their alternatives and what final outcome they are looking for and why - and I don't  mean Rangers' just restating their crazy proposal about giving interest free loans offset against potential prize money in which some clubs might find themselves having to repay sums over and above what they end up winning. That's just a smokescreen to stop the possibility of current places potentially being deemed final from being agreed and to keep the option of null & void on the table. How do Rangers and Hearts really want the season dealt with if the games cannot be played? I think we already know the answer to that.

I'd imagine the huns would still want the season null and voided if ,say for example, Motherwell were 13 points clear at the top with Celtic in second and the huns miles behind in third?

Null and voided, Motherwell don't get the title and Celtic get to go for 9iar next season instead. Aye I'm sure that's what they'd be screaming for to happen 🤣

6 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

Sky sports reporting that the resolution put forward by the SPFL has failed.

6 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

Sky sports reporting that the resolution put forward by the SPFL has failed.

They're wrong.

Ten have voted in favour in the Premiership and 15 in Leagues One and Two - enough to pass. Seven have voted in favour in the Championship but one club has yet to vote.

One question which needs to be answered - why has the votes cast so far been publicly announced when there is still one club to vote. That is frankly ridiculous, whatever the outcome.

3 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

One question which needs to be answered - why has the votes cast so far been publicly announced when there is still one club to vote. That is frankly ridiculous, whatever the outcome.

Idiotic, spings to mind. Seemingly the 5pm deadline wasn't a deadline at all.

11 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

They're wrong.

Ten have voted in favour in the Premiership and 15 in Leagues One and Two - enough to pass. Seven have voted in favour in the Championship but one club has yet to vote.

They have been announced to intimidate the remaining  championship club that has yet to vote.

6 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Aye, I’ve got a bet on that’s pretty much in, for £300, in the unlikely event League one carries on and Sunderland win it, it goes to £2400. If they hadn’t had found form in January/February it would’ve been cashed in already. 😂

Motherwell top 6 finish

Dundee Utd Champions

leicester top 6 finish

WBA - promoted

Sunderland -Champions 

any 4 and all 5.

Good if it ends now and stands otherwise you’re fucked. WBA will gas it if we go to the end.