Season 19/20 - Page 181 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

That’s nice of Ajax. They’re level on points and top by 8 goals with AZ Alkmaar, who I’m sure have a very different opinion on stopping the league. I would think they’re not at this position every season. 

AZ support ajax here but feyenoord dont and they are 6 points behind.

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Given peak Covid is expected in the summer I'd say UEFA's competitions were in jeopardy too!

I think it would be crazy to expect teams, staff and fans to be flying all over Europe for games any time in the next few months.

Could see domestic football being allowed to start back, perhaps with some restrictions, but UEFA are truly in fantasy land.

Ironically they might get their wish of some sort of invitation only champions league.

I’d truncate the UEFA competitions with a straight knockout 3 competitions. One for league champions, one for maybe 2nd and 3rd from each country and then a competition for domestic cup winners. 😂

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

I’m amazed by that. Seasons should be finished whenever it’s possible imo. 

It seems the dutch teams motoves are different to rangers or celtic. Reading overmars comments today, they see life as mpre important than the economy and money. He has a dig a trump too 😂

Neither rangers or celtic are motivating by the above, its about stopping the other side

51 minutes ago, shunkyboy and the fluffer said:

With some EPL clubs including Liverpool and Spurs putting their staff on furlough why are they not including the players in this? I would love to see some club having the balls to try it (probably Newcastle).

I think the government are paying 80% of salary but will only pay up to max of £2,500.00 a month.

Edited by Tiny Tim

2 hours ago, EddardStark said:

EPL clubs indicating if the season is ended early it will expose them to  £750m hit in lost revenues from TV and gate receipts. 

That would work out at 15% of turnover in comparison to 17/18 so not a lot really considering other companies are losing at least a full quarter of the year. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/22/premier-league-finances-club-guide-2017-18-accounts-manchester-united-city

Overally simplistic but as wages were £3 billion if the players and CEO's took 30% cut Joe the cleaner might not find himself out of pocket already living hand to mouth and would negate the lost £750m. 

Edited by ThistleWhistle