Season 19/20 - Page 180 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

7 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Surely in the event that the league cant be finished then the only fair way is to revert back to round when all teams have played each other an equal number if times. Ie after 11, 22 or 33 matches.

how would that change the current standings?

Every option here has big downsides for one club or another.

4 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

No, just brainstorming.

Just throwing another idea in the ring.

You still haven't offered a solution, but the best solution IMHO would see the games being played one way or another.

All events here in Toronto have been officially cancelled up to June 30th (so far).

I'd imagine the same will apply everywhere else very soon, too.

Okay, all results so far stand, if we play no further matches then split as we now stand. Then simply remove the results of the third match played between each team in whatever half of the table you are in so that they will have played each other once home and away. Then deduct those points and that's the final outcome.

I've not really given it much thought so maybe it's not feasible. If it means you've played more lower grade teams or more games away or whatever then so fuck. Just end it. As long as Hearts are relegated then I don't care that much, a fucking disgusting club. 

2 hours ago, Stu101 said:

how would that change the current standings?

Every option here has big downsides for one club or another.

Im not saying it would change the current standing (which it would). Im saying that it would be the fairest option. 

That way all the teams have played all the other teams an equal number of times. Its not fair to say team A has played the same number of games as team B if Team A has played all the tip teams and team B all the bottom teams.

For example if the English league had 1 game to go and Aston Villa were on 39 points and Watford on 38. Villa were away to Man City but Watford were at home to Norwich in the final game before the decison that no further games could be played. It wouldnt be fair to just say you have both played the same number of games so Watford get relegated.

Why are so many obsessed with cutting this season short so as not to affect next season. 

Surely so much time, money and energy has been put into 19/20 this should be the priority to be finished, whenever that may be? 

Next season could always be shortened if need be? Only play each other twice before the split for example. Least everyone knows at the start how long the season will be. For me, the only fair way 

So many fans seem to want an outcome that favours their club/goes against a club they don't like, that's just a nonsensical place to stand and lessens the validity of your opinion. 

Maybe it's cos my clubs position ain't gonna be affected majorly either way, the sporting integrity has got to win at the end of the day 

13 minutes ago, saintydave said:

Why are so many obsessed with cutting this season short so as not to affect next season. 

Surely so much time, money and energy has been put into 19/20 this should be the priority to be finished, whenever that may be? 

Next season could always be shortened if need be? Only play each other twice before the split for example. Least everyone knows at the start how long the season will be. For me, the only fair way 

So many fans seem to want an outcome that favours their club/goes against a club they don't like, that's just a nonsensical place to stand and lessens the validity of your opinion. 

Maybe it's cos my clubs position ain't gonna be affected majorly either way, the sporting integrity has got to win at the end of the day 

I think next season is when the new TV deal kicks in and it's worth more than the current pittance, hence the reason they'd prefer next season to start afresh. That, allied with the complex issues regarding contracts expiring etc just makes it easier to alter the current season. Sporting integrity, sadly, is way down the priorities, it's all about the shekels. 

1 hour ago, saintydave said:

I think the vast majority want it finished, but we are now seeing sporting events in early and late July being cancelled even at this stage, so sadly its looking more and more unlikley by the day.

49 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

I think the vast majority want it finished, but we are now seeing sporting events in early and late July being cancelled even at this stage, so sadly its looking more and more unlikley by the day.

To be fair, the olympics isn’t quite the same as St Johnstone v Hamilton..

1 hour ago, EddardStark said:

The FA have ended the season for all leagues below the National League and declared them null and void. 

And they’re kicking up hell about it. More the lack of consultation I think.

The fa have consulted each league and it was decided to expunge this season's results from steps three to seven. Steps one and two are suspended indefinitely and the league's are taking further legal advice. The clubs that are kicking off seem to be the ones in the promotion places. The main two being Barrow and South Shields the two with the most to lose. Both of them have said they will take legal action against the FA. The decision still has to be ratified by the FA council. The team I watch have been absolute mince all season but as it stands we won't get relegated. I think we should take voluntary demotion and let South Shields take our place. I know I am in a minority though. There isn't a perfect solution to this the teams going for promotion want every match to be played whenever and wherever those in relegation spot want the season to be expunged it's time for the suits to earn their corn. Let's hope this mess doesn't last to long and we can get back to some sort of normality.

11 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

To be fair, the olympics isn’t quite the same as St Johnstone v Hamilton..

Depends on your veiw. For my old neighbour, sports was Albion Rovers. For a billion dollor sports corp., then I take your point.

Just hope they come up with somthing sensible. I think they need to try everything to finish the season, one way or another. Sadly just cant see it happening though.

34 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Belgian league to end. Club Brugge to be named champions. They were 15 points  clear before their split

Ten game split over there.

Regular season[edit]

Each of the 16 competitors in the Pro League hosts every other team once in the regular season, for a total of 30 matches between July and March. A win earns three points and a draw earns one point. Teams are ranked by total points, then by total wins and finally by goal difference, number of scored goals, number of away goals and number of away wins. If teams are still level, a test-match is played in two legs to determine the final order in the standings. A playoff phase is then played from March to May.

Championship Playoff[edit]

The point system in the championship playoff is the same as during the regular season, except that each team starts with half of the points they won in the regular season, rounded up to the nearest integer. The points gained by rounding are deducted in the case of a tie.

The top 6 teams from the regular season enter the championship playoff, with the first-placed team winning the championship of Belgium. Each team plays their opponents twice, and the teams are ranked by points, points from rounding, wins, etc. as in the regular season.

4 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Ten game split over there.

Regular season[edit]

Each of the 16 competitors in the Pro League hosts every other team once in the regular season, for a total of 30 matches between July and March. A win earns three points and a draw earns one point. Teams are ranked by total points, then by total wins and finally by goal difference, number of scored goals, number of away goals and number of away wins. If teams are still level, a test-match is played in two legs to determine the final order in the standings. A playoff phase is then played from March to May.

Championship Playoff[edit]

The point system in the championship playoff is the same as during the regular season, except that each team starts with half of the points they won in the regular season, rounded up to the nearest integer. The points gained by rounding are deducted in the case of a tie.

The top 6 teams from the regular season enter the championship playoff, with the first-placed team winning the championship of Belgium. Each team plays their opponents twice, and the teams are ranked by points, points from rounding, wins, etc. as in the regular season.

I don't envy the SPFL right now, which ever way they go will no doubt end in legal battles, threats and countless statements

7 hours ago, Stu101 said:

Depends on your veiw. For my old neighbour, sports was Albion Rovers. For a billion dollor sports corp., then I take your point.

Just hope they come up with somthing sensible. I think they need to try everything to finish the season, one way or another. Sadly just cant see it happening though.

Aye, sorry, the Olympic comparison was more in terms of the travel and folk coming from every corner of the world.

I think we could tentatively start domestic football long before you could hold something like the olympics, Wimbledon or Euros.

2 hours ago, Debian said:

Ajax and Juventus (both leading) have stated they want their leagues declared null and void and won't accept being given a title

Although Juve are only one point clear and in a real race with Lazio. Ajax are level on points with AZ, so you could argue both have more to lose than gain by completing the season. (In that they are expected to win the title anyway, so can only lose it...)

I suspect if Rangers were 1 point behind Celtic and in a 50/50 Title race Celtic might be quite happy to null and void the season, while rangers fans would be sharing any example they could find of leagues carrying on after the shutdown......

Rangers/Celtic message board:

The world's facin a global crisis like we've never seen afore, yet all these feenyin/hun bastirts care aboot is winnin/stoppin us gettin another title.

Wan thing's for sure - if WE were 13 points ahead/behind then the league would already be declared null and void/over with them awarded the title.

These bastirts at the ShFA/SFA will dae onythin tae help them get/stop 10 in a row.

Consensus in Scottish fitba is well nigh impossible.

15 hours ago, Debian said:

Ajax and Juventus (both leading) have stated they want their leagues declared null and void and won't accept being given a title

That’s nice of Ajax. They’re level on points and top by 8 goals with AZ Alkmaar, who I’m sure have a very different opinion on stopping the league. I would think they’re not at this position every season.