Season 19/20 - Page 179 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

40 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

The highland league just awarded the title to brora rangers 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

They are 12 points in front with two games in hand. Not sure how many games to play though. Might set a precedent though.  No relegation from that league as well so its an easier decision. 

Edited by EddardStark

I am hearing rumours Celtic will be awarded the league as this pandemic continues. I agree. There is no way rangers would catch us. No chance. Haw, I would rather we played it out, but human lives and the health of our country is all that matters just now.. Stay safe ma pals.. 

3 hours ago, Terry Munro said:

Football will return at some point, there's no need to just be finishing the season without playing the remaining games

Presumably you could even play them in September at the start of next season, and remove the winter break if required. My understanding with a 14 teams league would also be that each team would pay less games than this season- but I haven't checked that.

Saw this idea elsewhere, and although not perfect, it does on one level solve the problem of playing the games we don't have the time to play.

For example... Aberdeen's remaining fixtures before the split are v... Motherwell, Livingston, Hearts and Celtic.

1. Put the 2019-20 season on hold.

2. Schedule all the remaining pre-split games (and post-split games if possible) at the beginning of the 2020-21 season.

3. These games would count toward BOTH the 2019-20 AND the 2020-21 seasons.

Europe would have to be decided by the current (top four) standings. 

The Scottish Cup would continue at the semi-final stage.

1 hour ago, Scotty CTA said:

Saw this idea elsewhere, and although not perfect, it does on one level solve the problem of playing the games we don't have the time to play.

For example... Aberdeen's remaining fixtures before the split are v... Motherwell, Livingston, Hearts and Celtic.

2. Schedule all the remaining pre-split games (and post-split games if possible) at the beginning of the 2020-21 season.

Was it written in shit?

1 hour ago, Scotty CTA said:

Ridiculous. 

But while you are at it, let's throw in the Aberdeen Celtic semi in a triple whammy. Make it a quadruple, just in case we draw them in the League cup or Scottish cup again next season. 

Or Hibs, if Hibs play Aberdeen and win, you could give them three points and three points to Celtic too coz they play in green, therefore reducing the need for Aberdeen to play Celtic. I can talk shite too. 

Edited by Farcity

As a supporter of the most reasonable and fair mind club in Scotland I can only see Rangers agreeing to a scenario where they lose twice against Celtic this season and are already six points behind next season.  I'll tell the Statement Releaser to stand down, he won't be needed.

Spare a wee thought for Jersey Bulls, a brand new team set up this season (Jersey has always had clubs, not an actual island team, Guersney have had an island team for 10 years)

They were placed in the Southern Combined combined counties league, their record this season is 27 wins out of 27, a record which no other team has ever came close to.

Non league in England have now abandoned their season and this year records are now null and void, and they won’t be promoted despite already having won the league.

Great little side who were getting well over 1000 for their home games, shame.

I am surprised football leagues does not already have a rule for this already - if the a percentage of a league has been completed and for reasons of war/pandemic/alien invasion then the league standings will count towards the rewards of trophies and pro-rated prize money.  Its not rules that are likely going to be used often, once in a 100 years maybe.  Pro Boxing has rulings that if a fight is stopped in the first 3 rounds, it is considered a non-contest but if someone is unable to continue because of excessive bleeding - then the fight goes to the judges scorecards.    

My opinion is any football and rugby leagues who have completed more than 51% of their league fixtures and the season cannot continue, the awards should be distributed at their current standings, where there are uneven fixtures played - maybe we award those teams who have not played all of their games 1 point each, although if I look at the Scottish Championship its clear quite complex.  Other alternatives is writing off a season entirely, or put it to a vote on what should happen.  

Edited by romanticscot

8 hours ago, Debian said:

Was it written in shit?

8 hours ago, Farcity said:

Ridiculous. 

But while you are at it, let's throw in the Aberdeen Celtic semi in a triple whammy. Make it a quadruple, just in case we draw them in the League cup or Scottish cup again next season. 

Or Hibs, if Hibs play Aberdeen and win, you could give them three points and three points to Celtic too coz they play in green, therefore reducing the need for Aberdeen to play Celtic. I can talk shite too. 

It's easy to pooh-pooh an idea without offering a solution yourself.

Tell us all what the best solution is, then.

If it ends up being a short break aka back playing April, May, maybe June - 1 month festival of football, get the season
finished in 4 weeks. short break and batter on with next season, cancel league Cup if need be next year to free up dates. Back on track 

Longer break - aka back playing July, August, Sep.
Again, festival of fitba, get the season finished ASAP. Start new season in November, play til May,  take a break for the euros, rest of season aug-oct. Start again in Dec, play til Oct, finishing in time for world Cup.
Has summer fitba worked? Carry on, has it not? Figure out a way to go back to a winter schedule.

In the meantime, take 1%. Of earnings for players earning more than 20k a week to keep clubs alive, pay lower league players,
A crude estimate of this is the 20epl teams paying an average of 30k a week to 25 players puts 150k a week in a pot, do it around the world, surely enough money to support lower end of fitba 

Edited by saintydave

8 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

It's easy to pooh-pooh an idea without offering a solution yourself.

Tell us all what the best solution is, then.

If that was your genuine solution your grasp of reality is more flawed than I first thought. 

A session of Ludo perhaps, though obviously two teams would have to sit out each round. Naturally, hosted behind closed doors in a neutral venue, somewhere equidistant between Ibrox and Parkhead, can't go upsetting the Bhoys and I hear Rangers might struggle to cobble together the petrol money to travel any further.  

10 hours ago, romanticscot said:

I am surprised football leagues does not already have a rule for this already - if the a percentage of a league has been completed and for reasons of war/pandemic/alien invasion then the league standings will count towards the rewards of trophies and pro-rated prize money.  Its not rules that are likely going to be used often, once in a 100 years maybe.  Pro Boxing has rulings that if a fight is stopped in the first 3 rounds, it is considered a non-contest but if someone is unable to continue because of excessive bleeding - then the fight goes to the judges scorecards.    

My opinion is any football and rugby leagues who have completed more than 51% of their league fixtures and the season cannot continue, the awards should be distributed at their current standings, where there are uneven fixtures played - maybe we award those teams who have not played all of their games 1 point each, although if I look at the Scottish Championship its clear quite complex.  Other alternatives is writing off a season entirely, or put it to a vote on what should happen.  

I think in terms of the uneven fixtures you just delete all the results from the round of fixtures that wasn’t completed. (Round 12)

I looked at that and think the only positions that change are Hibs and st Johnstone switch places. St Johnstone haven’t played that game. Hibs lose those points.

6 hours ago, Farcity said:

If that was your genuine solution your grasp of reality is more flawed than I first thought. 

No, just brainstorming.

Just throwing another idea in the ring.

6 hours ago, Farcity said:

A session of Ludo perhaps, though obviously two teams would have to sit out each round. Naturally, hosted behind closed doors in a neutral venue, somewhere equidistant between Ibrox and Parkhead, can't go upsetting the Bhoys and I hear Rangers might struggle to cobble together the petrol money to travel any further.  

You still haven't offered a solution, but the best solution IMHO would see the games being played one way or another.

All events here in Toronto have been officially cancelled up to June 30th (so far).

I'd imagine the same will apply everywhere else very soon, too.

Surely in the event that the league cant be finished then the only fair way is to revert back to round when all teams have played each other an equal number if times. Ie after 11, 22 or 33 matches. 

It wouldnt be fair to relegate a team who have played all of the top 6,  3 times who are only a few points behind a team whomhave mainly played bottom 6 teams for example.

Take England as an example. Some of the teams in the bottom few places have played all he top teams twice but others havent. Logic would dictate that the teams who havent would pick up less points over the rest of the season than the teams who dont have to play the top teams again.