Season 19/20 - Page 177 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

6 minutes ago, macy37 said:

SFA have communicated with clubs that there will be no games til September and it’ll start with cup semis.

Current positions will stand. Hertz doon. 

I find that hard to believe. What sort of crystal ball have they got. How can a group who would sit on their hands in their office at Hampden while it burnt to the ground waiting on somebody to tell them what to do make such a bold decision. Even worst case scenarios September is a long way off!

Edited by sbcmfc

10 minutes ago, min said:

Agreed. Finishing the season at some point is a must and with the English, Spanish and Italian leagues are already pushing for that. It's easy to shorten the next domestic season to suit.

Transfer windows should cease for a year or so - go back to the old system temporarily.

We have the added luxury of there being a variety of options to shorten next season. Where as in England etc there’s less scope.

Play a 33 game season, play everyone 3 times. Or play 22 games, split, then play twice post split (gives 4 x old firm, which will suit some).

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Nothing should be decided on current positions, mental to think otherwise. Clubs haven't even played the same number of games.

They should finish the season, as and when they can.

I agree with that.

A certain club think it should stop now, no league winners but all the other benefits of your current position should be available.  

11 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

We have the added luxury of there being a variety of options to shorten next season. Where as in England etc there’s less scope.

Play a 33 game season, play everyone 3 times. Or play 22 games, split, then play twice post split (gives 4 x old firm, which will suit some).

22 games then split is probably the best option if we're shortenings the season. The league cup could also be binned for a year if need be. Loads of options domestically.

The trickiest bit for me is deciding who the representatives would be for the 20/21 European competitions. The qualifying rounds would likely commence before the current domestic season is completed. I suppose the European qualifying rounds could be single matches - home advantage decided by the toss of a coin - which could delay the point they need to start by a month or so.

34 minutes ago, macy37 said:

If Rangers can celebrate winning the league on December the 29th while they were 2 points behind us surely we can celebrate winning the title when we’re 13 points clear?

That's actually a pretty fair point :lol:

I'll be amazed if there's any decision or announcements made in the near future as to what's going to happen when football restarts because that's going to be completely dependent on when that happens. 

I look forward to months of pish being talked about this subject, I'll do my best to add to that.  

Keep the season suspended for now then play the conclusion when it can be played, regardless of how far away that is.

This season has started so should be finished, future seasons haven't and can be amended to fit the necessary schedule. Nobody should be getting declared champions or relegated on the basis of current league places.

6 minutes ago, Terry Munro said:

Keep the season suspended for now then play the conclusion when it can be played, regardless of how far away that is.

This season has started so should be finished, future seasons haven't and can be amended to fit the necessary schedule. Nobody should be getting declared champions or relegated on the basis of current league places.

Spot on.

Should be cracking crowds at the 1st games back.

Straight in with an old firm too. 3 months of build up, everyone like a coiled spring, it will be carnage. 😂

35 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

To be honest regardless of how our leagues or any other leagues are settled this season I doubt anyone will be celebrating.

I disagree, if celtic and liverpool are handed titles you can bet your house they will celebrate.

There is only two options IMO.

1. The seasons remaining matches must be played either behind closed doors or after the coronavirus situation blows over and therefore delaying next season. I dont think the former is possible because of the risk to health. You would likely get some fucking yahoo fans turning up outside the stadium too.

The euros havent started yet so they can be delayed till next year

2. The season is null and void and everyone starts each competition where they started last season.

Under no circumstances should any club be relegated or handed a title with 8 to 10 games left. 

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I disagree, if celtic and liverpool are handed titles you can bet your house they will celebrate.

You can be absolutely certain Liverpool fans will celebrate, it’ll be their first title in 30 years. Celtic fans too as doing nine in a row again is a big thing, but would’ve been even bigger if this was the one for ten.

There is only two options IMO.

1. The seasons remaining matches must be played either behind closed doors or after the coronavirus situation blows over and therefore delaying next season. I dont think the former is possible because of the risk to health. You would likely get some fucking yahoo fans turning up outside the stadium too.

Especially for “the” game which could secure the title.

Much preferable to complete the season once this is over and we can safely get fans back in the stadiums again. You’re right in that the “behind closed doors scenario” is riddled with problems not just connected with health but also financially - clubs are even less likely to survive a total lack of income from these games than they are from them being delayed. Also factor in refunds for tickets already sold plus partial refunds for season tickets and it really is a non starter.

The euros havent started yet so they can be delayed till next year

Looks like that is now the case. Wisely.

2. The season is null and void and everyone starts each competition where they started last season.

Under no circumstances should any club be relegated or handed a title with 8 to 10 games left. 

This would be the nuclear option and hopefully given short shrift immediately. It’s easy for clowns like Karren Brady to come out with shite like this when West Ham are sitting two points above the drop. The fallout would be huge and the game would be embroiled in all sorts of legal action for years.

Ending the season prematurely and using average points earned so far is also a very undesirable outcome but marginally better than effectively declaring that the season never happened. 80% of it has been completed and you can’t just wipe it all from the record. Similarly that would potentially trigger massive refunds for season tickets, match tickets, Sky, BT, BBC as they would argue with some merit that if the season never happened they never got what they paid for.

Now that the Euros have been postponed surely the only feasible answer now is to resume when it is safe to do so, with perhaps a small handful of warm up mini pre-season type matches to get players up to fitness as it could be dangerous to their health and fitness to pile straight back in after weeks maybe months off.

Next season can be truncated to accommodate if necessary. In Scotland we could have two sets of games H&A (22 each) then a split then two more sets H&A (10 each) making 32 total thus freeing up 6 match days (which is only a couple less than we are currently needing to fit in from this season) with the added bonus that every team plays the exact same set of fixtures as those they are directly competing with.

Edited by DaveyDenoon

29 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Only folk that I can see that want season null and void appear to be huns.

And me. I’ll use this seasons money that I get refunded to pay for the season ticket that I got asked to pay for last week for season 20/20something. 😜 

9 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

And me. I’ll use this seasons money that I get refunded to pay for the season ticket that I got asked to pay for last week for season 20/20something. 😜 

Aye but everyone knows your big team is Rangers....

I would hope our clubs would use this opportunity to restructure everything and fire the top division split into the sun.

Sky Sports will lose so many subscribers across the UK in the immediate period that their bargaining position will be substantially weakened.

Surely this would be a good chance for Scottish football to move to a summer format. Use the rest of this year to finish of this season, then start a new season in March 2021 that runs through to november. Means we get the best summer months to watch football in this country. 

11 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Surely this would be a good chance for Scottish football to move to a summer format. Use the rest of this year to finish of this season, then start a new season in March 2021 that runs through to november. Means we get the best summer months to watch football in this country. 

No chance with Euro 2021