Season 19/20 - Page 175 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

11 hours ago, EddardStark said:

League football was suspended during WW11. Rangers one every title then but they don't count. Just saying like. 

Of course they did. Their players were sent to the shipyards to avoid the draft whilst the rest of Scottish football went to fight for King and Country. Instead of being embarrassed about it you bring it up to score some imaginary point!

Huns man! You couldn't give them a riddy wae a fuckin blowtorch! 🙄

The Premiership teams have played 29 or 30 games, if they could get to 33, that would be enough for the season to be classed as finished IMO. Obviously getting the full 38 in would be ideal, but this would be a second best.

The Scottish Cup should get cancelled, or played at the start of next season, give the 4 teams a bye to the knock out stages of the League Cup if need be.

Celtic, Utd and Cove are Champions, and should be promoted, there can be no doubt about this IMO. League One is still too close to call. Relegation, who the hell knows.

If we write off March and April, can we conceivably play the remaining league games in May, even extend into June if needed? Are players contracts July-June? I cant see any issue with extending an existing players contract by a month, if need be, where theres a will theres a way. If we can get the normal season finished, then screw the Playoff games, even though it would semi affect my club, we would most likely be in them, but not a hope in hell of winning it IMO.

42 minutes ago, kumnio said:

The Premiership teams have played 29 or 30 games, if they could get to 33, that would be enough for the season to be classed as finished IMO. Obviously getting the full 38 in would be ideal, but this would be a second best.

The Scottish Cup should get cancelled, or played at the start of next season, give the 4 teams a bye to the knock out stages of the League Cup if need be.

Celtic, Utd and Cove are Champions, and should be promoted, there can be no doubt about this IMO. League One is still too close to call. Relegation, who the hell knows.

If we write off March and April, can we conceivably play the remaining league games in May, even extend into June if needed? Are players contracts July-June? I cant see any issue with extending an existing players contract by a month, if need be, where theres a will theres a way. If we can get the normal season finished, then screw the Playoff games, even though it would semi affect my club, we would most likely be in them, but not a hope in hell of winning it IMO.

To save hassle, void the whole season and reset it. Thats all this needs.

3 hours ago, kumnio said:

As I said earlier, it’s a really difficult decision.  We all know Celtic have won the league, Dundee Utd & Cove too. League 1 is a difficult decision. 

Not as difficult as relegation though, there’s Hearts at the bottom, they look dead, but if they can get the form that beat Rangers & Hibs, it’s hard to relegate them as they’ve a chance to go up. 

Ive 2 opinions. 

Decide the league by alphabetical order, or go by last seasons places, exclude Killie and allow Motherwell 4th as @sbcmfc seems a decent cunt. 

49 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

As I said earlier, it’s a really difficult decision.  We all know Celtic have won the league, Dundee Utd & Cove too. League 1 is a difficult decision

Decide the league by alphabetical order, or go by last seasons places, exclude Killie and allow Motherwell 4th as @sbcmfc seems a decent cunt. 

If it turns into a TAMB popularity contest the sheepworriers would get their team relegated 👍

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

To save hassle, void the whole season and reset it. Thats all this needs.

Which is exactly whats going to happen. Insurance is the big one, not withstanding you cant unilateraly ammend players contracts without the courts getting involved- for example if the season was extended. 

Unless infection rates drop off a cliff, this is it.

5 hours ago, slasher said:

Of course they did. Their players were sent to the shipyards to avoid the draft whilst the rest of Scottish football went to fight for King and Country. Instead of being embarrassed about it you bring it up to score some imaginary point!

you just make this up, or were the 20/25 odd players that seved in World War II simply in Europe on their holidays at the time? There is an official list.

My great uncle Ian scored in the last official league game for Rangers (possibly against Clyde or Arbroath?), before the league was suspended. He then flew over 50 sorties for the RAF over Germany and was awarded the RAF distingushed flying cross.

His team mates played in the Rangers prison camp select - who were seeminly unbeatable during 42/43, and actually included a number of Cetic players - on the basis they were all 'Scots' to the Germans, and being in the team was better than laterine duties.

so yeah, may be dont get your history from Republican bars.

8 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

you just make this up, or were the 20/25 odd players that seved in World War II simply in Europe on their holidays at the time? There is an official list.

My great uncle Ian scored in the last official league game for Rangers (possibly against Clyde or Arbroath?), before the league was suspended. He then flew over 50 sorties for the RAF over Germany and was awarded the RAF distingushed flying cross.

His team mates played in the Rangers prison camp select - who were seeminly unbeatable during 42/43, and actually included a number of Cetic players - on the basis they were all 'Scots' to the Germans, and being in the team was better than laterine duties.

so yeah, may be dont get your history from Republican bars.

I don't. Re-check your facts against where players from clubs went from the inception of ww2 till 1945.

I prefer to deal in facts not propaganda. The Rangers team of that time weren't christened the shipyards 11 for nothing. You cunts have an endless capacity to try and rewrite history 🤔

4 minutes ago, slasher said:

I don't. Re-check your facts against where players from clubs went from the inception of ww2 till 1945.

I prefer to deal in facts not propaganda. The Rangers team of that time weren't christened the shipyards 11 for nothing. You cunts have an endless capacity to try and rewrite history 🤔

so the following players who served during WWII are just made up then ?

W. Thornton (Trooper - Scottish Horse Regiment)

D. McLatchie (Gunner - Royal Artillery)

T. Souter (Captain - Royal Scots Fusiliers)

S. Cox (Gordon Highlanders)

D. Gray (served in Middle East)

A. Macauley (Army Physical Training Corps)

Army (unclas.)

W. Paton

D. Marshall

D. Kinnear

'T' Gillick

Dr. A Little

E. Rutherford

J. Galloway

A. McKillop

T. McKillop

J. Johnston

W. Knox

R. Cowan

P. Grant

A. Beattie

GDF Mackay

C. McNee

I. McPherson

E. Rutherford

Airforce (unclas.)

J. Simpson

A. Stevenson

J. Parlane

B. Williamson

B. Brown

You should read Soccer at War 39-45, by the way. Harrowing book, but it might help to fill in your gaps.

16 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

so the following players who served during WWII are just made up then ?

W. Thornton (Trooper - Scottish Horse Regiment)

D. McLatchie (Gunner - Royal Artillery)

T. Souter (Captain - Royal Scots Fusiliers)

S. Cox (Gordon Highlanders)

D. Gray (served in Middle East)

A. Macauley (Army Physical Training Corps)

Army (unclas.)

W. Paton

D. Marshall

D. Kinnear

'T' Gillick

Dr. A Little

E. Rutherford

J. Galloway

A. McKillop

T. McKillop

J. Johnston

W. Knox

R. Cowan

P. Grant

A. Beattie

GDF Mackay

C. McNee

I. McPherson

E. Rutherford

Airforce (unclas.)

J. Simpson

A. Stevenson

J. Parlane

B. Williamson

B. Brown

You should read Soccer at War 39-45, by the way. Harrowing book, but it might help to fill in your gaps.

47 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

Dunno what's going on with the quote function but......... you're not on strong ground here at all. You seem to be a reasonable chap so maybe do a bit more research about that whole period in terms of football and its governance during that era before coming over all 'uncle Walter' 🙄

In 2000/01 the South of Scotland Football League was suspended due to the foot and mouth outbreak, and subsequently declared null & void.  Tarff Rovers who won the league either side of this were leading at the time but were not declared champions.  

I suspect Celtic will be awarded the titles as a token gesture.  I still wouldn't class the league as over and would be happy to play it and turn it around.  

Remember after the OF game and before Helicopter Sunday we were 5 points behind with 4 games to play.  As it stands hypothetically Rangers could beat Celtic twice and their game in hand v Saints and be 4 points behind.  

There won't be happy campers regardless of decisions that will be made, but it will be the same worldwide.  

Read that the FA rules are if 75% of games are completed then the league standings stand. I’m unsure if this is actual or some cunt making pish up but if Scotland have the same rules it would be glorious as the Diets would be doon if we don’t restart.

Edited by macy37

End the season as it is now, other than the financial aspect I don't really think anyone would complain too much. Play out the remaining 3 Scottish Cup games as early as possible and restructure the whole league set up. 

5 hours ago, macy37 said:

Read that the FA rules are if 75% of games are completed then the league standings stand. I’m unsure if this is actual or some cunt making pish up but if Scotland have the same rules it would be glorious as the Diets would be doon if we don’t restart.

Funnily enough, if St Mirren had lost to Hearts in what is now potentially the last league game to be played this season, we would now be bottom of the league instead of 9th.

We knew that was a big game last Wednesday, perhaps bigger than we thought. 

17 hours ago, dandydunn said:

17 hours ago, slasher said:

If it turns into a TAMB popularity contest the sheepworriers would get their team relegated 👍

In typical fashion I could be a complete cunt, and they’d restructure the leagues and deny Huddersfield town their rightful place saving Motherwell again.

😂