Season 19/20 - Page 173 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

19 minutes ago, aaid said:

I don't think there's any solution that doesn't have problems associated with it.

If ultimately the season finishes as of today, ie, no more games are played, then you have to effectively write the season off.  Teams can't be promoted or relegated, no league titles can be given out.  That might seem tough on some teams and it is, but for a league season to have any validity then it has to run its course.

Theres some talk about using the summer to catch up but there's a few obvious problems with that.

its pretty safe to say that things are going to get worse before they get better and there's about two months football left.

That means so as to not impact next season, you need to be in a position at the end of May that things are at a level of normality that that can happen.  To me that seems pretty optimistic.   I think the first cases in China were about four months or so ago and they're not there yet and they've taken a lot more draconian steps than we have here to limit the spread.

You also have the added complication that a lot of players go out of contract in June, so how do you handle that?

I think the least worst option will be to just write off the season and everyone's going to have to take that on the chin.  Trying to somehow finish the season will impact much further down the line. 

A twelve way split of the prize pot or do you take current positions into play? 

1 minute ago, Farcity said:

A twelve way split of the prize pot or do you take current positions into play? 

I think that's the least of the issues but equal split would be fairest.  If you say the seasons cancelled then the general principle should be its as if it never happened. 

20 minutes ago, aaid said:

I don't think there's any solution that doesn't have problems associated with it.

If ultimately the season finishes as of today, ie, no more games are played, then you have to effectively write the season off.  Teams can't be promoted or relegated, no league titles can be given out.  That might seem tough on some teams and it is, but for a league season to have any validity then it has to run its course.

Theres some talk about using the summer to catch up but there's a few obvious problems with that.

its pretty safe to say that things are going to get worse before they get better and there's about two months football left.

That means so as to not impact next season, you need to be in a position at the end of May that things are at a level of normality that that can happen.  To me that seems pretty optimistic.   I think the first cases in China were about four months or so ago and they're not there yet and they've taken a lot more draconian steps than we have here to limit the spread.

You also have the added complication that a lot of players go out of contract in June, so how do you handle that?

I think the least worst option will be to just write off the season and everyone's going to have to take that on the chin.  Trying to somehow finish the season will impact much further down the line. 

Good point on the contracts - that is another dynamic to it entirely.  

I can see the EPL awarding Liverpool the title to save them going batshit mental and then not relegating anyone.  

The problem with writing off the season is teams on a hand to mouth existence will be totally ****ed as at the moment they're hoping to just delay receiving 5x home game gate receipts.  If they're  not going to get it at all and have to wait until August for revenue to start back up its going to be absolute carnage.  Problem is there could be no alternative as, like you, I cant see this being clear for May/June.  

22 minutes ago, aaid said:

I think that's the least of the issues but equal split would be fairest.  If you say the seasons cancelled then the general principle should be its as if it never happened. 

Wid imagine a lot of people/companies will be looking for their ££ back if the season is voided.

20 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Good point on the contracts - that is another dynamic to it entirely.  

I can see the EPL awarding Liverpool the title to save them going batshit mental and then not relegating anyone.  

The problem with writing off the season is teams on a hand to mouth existence will be totally ****ed as at the moment they're hoping to just delay receiving 5x home game gate receipts.  If they're  not going to get it at all and have to wait until August for revenue to start back up its going to be absolute carnage.  Problem is there could be no alternative as, like you, I cant see this being clear for May/June.  

If the EPFL award the league to Liverpool and similarly in Scotland the SPFL award the league to Celtic then they'd just be disputed.  

"We won the League" "Naw, ye didnae".  

You only have to look at Rangers and EBTs to see how that goes.

I know this is a football forum but in a months time I suspect who should have won the league will be low down most people's priorities. 

56 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Whatever way they go, it will be entertaining watching either side if the old firm going ape shit at the decision.

I agree with you, the season should be null and void

I'm looking forward to the reaction of Dundee United fans when they realise that they will have to spend another season (or more?) in the championship. :lol: 

46 minutes ago, aaid said:

If the EPFL award the league to Liverpool and similarly in Scotland the SPFL award the league to Celtic then they'd just be disputed.  

I know this is a football forum but in a months time I suspect who should have won the league will be low down most people's priorities. 

Another thing is it could go into stasis over the summer and then come back even stronger next season.  Agree though sport in general isn't going to be a priority when folk start dying here and businesses are going under if the economy carries on tanking.       

4 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

It’s all very well saying cancel this season, but who represents us in Europe? It’s a given that Celtic & rangers will be there, how do you split between Aberdeen, Motherwell & possibly Livingston for other spots?

There's no fair way really.  If they scrap it now they can't really use last season's placings either. 

I think whatever if decided it is likely to have people disappointed.  That's even if we have clubs still going. You then need to factor in players who will be free to move on come June.  

1 hour ago, aaid said:

If they could get 3 more game weeks played (4 for Rangers) then at least there could be a natural roundup of the league with every team having played eachother 3 times. Obviously not going to suit everyone, however it would be a sensible enough end point.

20 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

If they could get 3 more game weeks played (4 for Rangers) then at least there could be a natural roundup of the league with every team having played eachother 3 times. Obviously not going to suit everyone, however it would be a sensible enough end point.

One of the fundamentals is that you can't change the rules part way through the game.

*Maybe* you cut next season short to accommodate running over this season but at least then everyone knows up front what the rules are. 

32 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

It’s all very well saying cancel this season, but who represents us in Europe? It’s a given that Celtic & rangers will be there, how do you split between Aberdeen, Motherwell & possibly Livingston for other spots?

Who knows if there will even be European competitions next season - at least in the current format. The government advises that peak infection is 10-14 weeks away, suggesting it will be six months before we are back to infection levels as low as they are today. The early qualifying rounds could well be too soon.

47 minutes ago, aaid said:

One of the fundamentals is that you can't change the rules part way through the game.

*Maybe* you cut next season short to accommodate running over this season but at least then everyone knows up front what the rules are. 

Aye, I can appreciate that. I dare say there will be some sort of loophole in amongst all the technical jargon that will give them some leeway as to what they are allowed to do in case of a monumental world shambles though.

55 minutes ago, aaid said:

Another fundamental rule for Scottish football governing bodies is "Make it up as you go along"

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I'm looking forward to the reaction of Dundee United fans when they realise that they will have to spend another season (or more?) in the championship. :lol: 

Cant speak for everyone but I suspect we will have a bit of moan down the pub, take it on the chin and move on. Ironically, our form of late has been at the relegation end 😂

No sense in blaming anyone. We are not Rangers 😀 

37 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Cant speak for everyone but I suspect we will have a bit of moan down the pub, take it on the chin and move on. Ironically, our form of late has been at the relegation end 😂

No sense in blaming anyone. We are not Rangers 😀 

Ok, I'm going to drift off into the land of fiction here, but what if Dundee were to win the league next season? :lol:

2 hours ago, min said:

Who knows if there will even be European competitions next season - at least in the current format. The government advises that peak infection is 10-14 weeks away, suggesting it will be six months before we are back to infection levels as low as they are today. The early qualifying rounds could well be too soon.

Uefa would be delighted with that.  They could jump straight past all the earlier rounds and have their wee mini tournament featuring teams from their chosen three or four countries. 

1 hour ago, Jim Beem said:

If that does happen, it’ll be because every other  team has gone to the wall  😀☹️

Oi, you can away and take a flying fu, nah youre right, with Mr Rohypnol in charge of us, thats impossible.

If you just void this season and effectively act like it never happened, I'd imagine any fan anywhere who bought a season ticket would have a pretty decent case for requesting a refund.

As for the Premiership title, such is the nature of things up here there's going to be some amount of seethe from one side or the other.

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

I’ve not seen it, i dread to think. 😂

If you do read it you'll see we have backed the decision but disappointed.  Pretty much the same as Celtic and most other clubs statements.  Guy Mcole is a pie.