Season 19/20 - Page 58 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

12 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

At the moment, barring getting past the semi-final, the on field success looks on track to be identical to last year. Second in the league, Europa league group stage. Hopefully they can go one better and hold on to qualify for the next round in europa league (sadly I think Porto and YB are going to go through but fingers crossed) which will make a big difference, and winning the league could be a game changer. 

By this point last season we had 9 less points. Yes, we are still second because Celtic also have more points than they did at this point last year. Our record so far is 2.55 PPG which is 90+ points form but obviously that depends on us maintaining that. In the last 18 league games it's 2.44 PPG so we've been maintaining strong results for quite a while now. It's a big improvement on the start last season and the squad is clearly better in comparison.

11 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

You are not. 

These figures look like a disaster waiting to happen, for me. 

We need to start moving on the squad deadwood and strip back costs whilst hopefully improving on field success. 

We have already secured a final, which is an improvement over last season, and are further ahead of the rest of the league, bar Celtic. So if, and I know its a big if, we can get out the EL group then we will have improved across the board and increased turnover. 

We'd still need to strip back costs to hit a profit though. 

It does look dangerous, but there is reason for optimism, as well. Trimming the squad is important financially, indeed i'm sure Gerrard has also himself noted that it will be good for the squad as a whole to be a bit tighter and trimmed down (Partly his fault that this is the case, partly not). Selling Morelos in Jan or Summer will be a big help as well for the figures. 

So aye, looks potentially very grim indeed, but by no means is the disaster unavoidable at this stage. 

The thing about being further ahead than the other teams is that you don't really get anything for it. The prize pot for 2nd is the same, regardless of if you're 20 points ahead of third or 2 goals, isn't it? 

Getting out the group would be huge in so many ways. Here's hoping, and aye it would be a big improvement, as is getting to the final (albeit a smaller improvement, given that not reaching the same final last season was a shambolic result). 

14 minutes ago, Dapo Mabude said:

By this point last season we had 9 less points. Yes, we are still second because Celtic also have more points than they did at this point last year. Our record so far is 2.55 PPG which is 90+ points form but obviously that depends on us maintaining that. In the last 18 league games it's 2.44 PPG so we've been maintaining strong results for quite a while now. It's a big improvement on the start last season and the squad is clearly better in comparison.

As I said above to RenfrewBlue, The thing about being further ahead than the other teams is that you don't really get anything for it. The prize pot for 2nd is the same, regardless of if you're 20 points ahead of third or 2 goals, isn't it? 

Close run silver and comfortably silver are both still silver. So I'd not see that as much of a return for increased costs, to be frank. 

Now, a cup win and, especially, getting out the group? Yes, that would definitely be a tangible improvement and a very concrete return. 

Being further ahead that last year of a weaker Killie and Aberdeen, less so. 

2 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

As I said above to RenfrewBlue, The thing about being further ahead than the other teams is that you don't really get anything for it. The prize pot for 2nd is the same, regardless of if you're 20 points ahead of third or 2 goals, isn't it? 

Close run silver and comfortably silver are both still silver. So I'd not see that as much of a return for increased costs, to be frank. 

Now, a cup win and, especially, getting out the group? Yes, that would definitely be a tangible improvement and a very concrete return. 

Being further ahead that last year of a weaker Killie and Aberdeen, less so. 

I think you're missing why it's important. We got 78 points last season. That's never going to win you a title in the 12 team era against a Celtic team with a wage bill of £55m-£60m. The only reason that we weren't far off them in terms of points at the winter break last season was because they started poorly. They then went on a big winning run. Our PPG in the first 10 league games last season was 1.8 which is literally Pedro and Murty level of performances. This year it was 2.5 which again is actual title challenging form.

6 minutes ago, Dapo Mabude said:

I think you're missing why it's important. We got 78 points last season. That's never going to win you a title in the 12 team era against a Celtic team with a wage bill of £55m-£60m. The only reason that we weren't far off them in terms of points at the winter break last season was because they started poorly. They then went on a big winning run. Our PPG in the first 10 league games last season was 1.8 which is literally Pedro and Murty level of performances. This year it was 2.5 which again is actual title challenging form.

... Right, but it isn't last season, it's this season. 

And only finishing the league in first will get you more money than finishing the league in second.

So unless rangers finish first, there will be no return for increased costs in the league context. 

Which was the topic we were discussing when you mentioned better performance this year. As a return for the increased costs. 

I'm saying the trouble with increasing costs when you have finished second is that only finishing first justifies it, especially when the other opponents are weakened compared to last year. 

19 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Which was the topic we were discussing when you mentioned better performance this year. As a return for the increased costs. 

I'm saying the trouble with increasing costs when you have finished second is that only finishing first justifies it, especially when the other opponents are weakened compared to last year. 

That's not necessarily true though. You can build season upon season right. Take Liverpool as an example. Lost the title with 97 points which was a build upon previous inconsistent season and they are now favourites to win the league. Mainly because City don't look likely to get 98 points again and they've had that previous consistency to build on.

Just now, Dapo Mabude said:

That's not necessarily true though. You can build season upon season right. Take Liverpool as an example. Lost the title with 97 points which was a build upon previous inconsistent season and they are now favourites to win the league. Mainly because City don't look likely to get 98 points again and they've had that previous consistency to build on.

You're right, it is technically possible that increased spending now will see eventual dividends next season, or the next season, or the season after that. 

But that seems rather slim justification for me when my opponent can increase their costs, and is able to do so from a solid base of healthy profits. 

It's sensible to be sceptical of increasing spending whilst making a loss. and asking what the potential gain is for the risk. 

Liverpool and City are on a fairly even keel, in that both can compete with each other's spending power from a position of relative strength. Liverpool have not been chasing City by increasing costs exponentially whilst incurring big big losses. 

The Rangers board should not chase Celtic by increasing costs exponentially whilst incurring big big losses, especially when Celtic are in a much, much stronger position to win the arms race and keep Rangers in second. 

You are then banking on Celtic making an arse of their recruitment and retention, or on Rangers finding hitherto undiscovered gems of a high enough calibre to overtake Celtic in spite of Celtic maintaining even a decent recruitment and retention performance. 

It seems like a long odds gamble that I personally wouldn't bet the house on

On 11/5/2019 at 3:59 PM, AndyDD said:

You're right, it is technically possible that increased spending now will see eventual dividends next season, or the next season, or the season after that. 

But that seems rather slim justification for me when my opponent can increase their costs, and is able to do so from a solid base of healthy profits. 

It's sensible to be sceptical of increasing spending whilst making a loss. and asking what the potential gain is for the risk. 

Liverpool and City are on a fairly even keel, in that both can compete with each other's spending power from a position of relative strength. Liverpool have not been chasing City by increasing costs exponentially whilst incurring big big losses. 

The Rangers board should not chase Celtic by increasing costs exponentially whilst incurring big big losses, especially when Celtic are in a much, much stronger position to win the arms race and keep Rangers in second. 

You are then banking on Celtic making an arse of their recruitment and retention, or on Rangers finding hitherto undiscovered gems of a high enough calibre to overtake Celtic in spite of Celtic maintaining even a decent recruitment and retention performance. 

It seems like a long odds gamble that I personally wouldn't bet the house on

You are taking the pressure right aff me.  Stand on kid.  Scotland Forever.

17 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

You are taking the pressure right aff me.  Stand on kid.  Scotland Forever.

My pleasure. 

Wright saved his hole two weeks ago by scraping past Hamilton. If he hadn’t have beaten them he was gone. A shitey win over a Levein side masked it for another week. After losing like that today at home to utter shite like Hibs he has to go now. 

50 minutes ago, WCTA said:

Wright saved his hole two weeks ago by scraping past Hamilton. If he hadn’t have beaten them he was gone. A shitey win over a Levein side masked it for another week. After losing like that today at home to utter shite like Hibs he has to go now. 

But.....but........Stevie May scored today.

That'll keep Wright in a job until Christmas, surely?

@dandydunn

not having a go at you but the dons aren’t doing too bad considering some want the manager gone. Three wins in a row conceding one goal since Celtic beat us. Two wins away from home too.

currently four points away from rangers and Celtic but they have a match to spare but still it’s not all bad.

mcinnes has to stop being such a pussy in big games, if he does that his job is safe.

1 minute ago, Jim Beem said:

St Johnstone going down would be pretty funny. 😂

Ormond coming back from Chicago a multi-millionaire, buying St Johnstone and then assuming the role of a "come ahead then ya cunts !" chairman who is never aff the telly would be even better :guitar:

18 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

@dandydunn

not having a go at you but the dons aren’t doing too bad considering some want the manager gone. Three wins in a row conceding one goal since Celtic beat us. Two wins away from home too.

currently four points away from rangers and Celtic but they have a match to spare but still it’s not all bad.

mcinnes has to stop being such a pussy in big games, if he does that his job is safe.

Correct, why do you think this is happening?

Ill answer it for you, it’s because he’s ditched the hoof ball tactics and is actually trying to get the team to play football. They’ve shown they can do that, but when he sets his team up not to lose or to sit on a 1 goal lead, that’s when he looks like a moron and deserves all the criticism he gets. 

6 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Correct, why do you think this is happening?

Ill answer it for you, it’s because he’s ditched the hoof ball tactics and is actually trying to get the team to play football. They’ve shown they can do that, but when he sets his team up not to lose or to sit on a 1 goal lead, that’s when he looks like a moron and deserves all the criticism he gets. 

I agree with this, hes proved he can change. I just dread when rangers come to pittodrie because he will wet himself again 😂