Season 19/20 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bit late aren't you?

It started on the 13th July for the plebs.

Kilmarnock got special treatment, though. Permitted to start on 11th July and then granted a further break after the 18th.

Similar to the break Celtic used to be granted for their Dublin money making exercises branded as friendlies.

Except Killie forgot to arrange one.

Edited by Barney Rubble

59 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Bit late aren't you?

It started on the 13th July for the plebs.

Kilmarnock got special treatment, though. Permitted to start on 11th July and then granted a further break after the 18th.

Similar to the break Celtic used to be granted for their Dublin money making exercises branded as friendlies.

Except Killie forgot to arrange one.

Apologies should of said league season.

7 minutes ago, kumnio said:

First penalty was a stonewaller, second was never a penalty. 

Hmm,

Have to disagree. Second one was a stick-on, Two defenders going in with no idea what they were doing for me. The contact was obvious.

Edited by Barney Rubble

The way I look at these things is what would I want as a player myself (admittedly some considerable time ago).

The contact was after the guy was past both defenders - neither needed to touch him, and nor did I think he went down easily.

It was poor defending in my view.

Nisbit looked a player last season for Raith and got off to a goal scoring start. Wonder if he can push on and to a Championship team.

Has McPake lost a match yet? My Dee pal is trying not to get too excited about young Robertson, seen bits of tonight and looked very classy.

I fear Arbroath will end up just a bit than Brechin two years ago, but they'll give it a go. They probably need a couple of Premiership loanees, then again Alloa - probably a better squad though - have stayed up with part-timers, anyhoos, roll on the league!

Hartley also at Cove is an interesting position. He seems to do a good job followed by bad, last one at Falkirk - bad so by my maths, Cove - good record?

And Kevin Harper at Albion Rovers, what a job he did just keeping them up - they were doomed by February. I think they might actually do a lot better and rather pushing for playoffs than relegation this year.

The Pyramid System is good and its incredibly hard to come up - win the Lowland or Highland league  play each other and then play bottom in League 1 - but I wonder if we'll ever see Berwick Rangers playing again in the Scottish 'professional' set up? Kelty Hearts have big bucks don't they,  can Ferguson get them up!

After Killie's disaster in Europe, it'll be the shortest honeymoon for their Italian gaffer. Really hope he does a job, but fear it'll be something like 6 pts out of 15 and sacked. Aberdeen looked wonderful last night, albeit they won't be allowed that space/time on the ball in the league but the new signings look very decent, can they even push Celtic?

Anyhoos roll on that season!

11 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Start of the league football is always a buzz. 

Currently out with @McTeeko for a few pints before the Cove/Edinburgh game tomorrow. 

Happy days are here again. 

Heres to hating football again in a matter of weeks 🙄

Hopefully Edinburgh pump the cove huns 😉

Edited by vanderark14

Yeah good to have the league season back. Plenty of ups and downs ahead for us all as we follow the fortunes of our teams over the next 10 months.

Had a two-part season preview published earlier this week if anyone is interested to read:

Part 1 - https://www.spitballingpod.com/football/2019/7/30/5zwm26f3bh9o6fvehq8hse98hs6u64

Part 2 - https://www.spitballingpod.com/football/spfl-preview-2

I'm more looking forward to the highand league season even though I won't get to many games. It will likely be a three or possibly four team title race. The lower leagues across scotland are far more excited and competitive.

As for the Scottish Premiership, it will be filled with the usual controversies with referees and fan behaviour but the end result of the competition will be the same. My only hope is one of the others can win a cup, preferably the league cup to stop 10 trophies in a row by celtic and preferably not rangers.

Always feel an earlyish rounds visit to somewhere like fir park would be the best bet of Celtic slipping up in a cup.

League cup is relatively easy with them playing Dunfermline at home for a place in 1/4 final, by which point they’d be relatively focused.

Other than Hibs away last year, I don’t remember too many tricky draws prior to semis?

11 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I'm more looking forward to the highand league season even though I won't get to many games. It will likely be a three or possibly four team title race. The lower leagues across scotland are far more excited and competitive.

As for the Scottish Premiership, it will be filled with the usual controversies with referees and fan behaviour but the end result of the competition will be the same. My only hope is one of the others can win a cup, preferably the league cup to stop 10 trophies in a row by celtic and preferably not rangers.

That can happen but only if more managers in the Scottish Premiership realise that the best way to humble the Old firm is to simply have a bloody good go at them on the park rather than sit back, defend deep and celebrate a draw as "a real result".

11 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Embarrassing performance by City. Absolutely pumped. Two men sent off too. Cove were excellent mind you. Cracking weekend up the north east though, and good to catch up with @dandydunn 👍🏼

I was pretty certain you were stalking me though when I came off the golf course this morning and you two were behind me 😂😂

11 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

I was pretty certain you were stalking me though when I came off the golf course this morning and you two were behind me 😂😂

I was trying to catch you with a pink T-shirt on so I could tell Ormond 😆