Wing Mirror Clipped At The Lights, No Damage But Should I Report It Anyway? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Wing Mirror Clipped At The Lights, No Damage But Should I Report It Anyway?

This morning at the lights, I'm in the left hand lane turning left, a silver car about 6 cars in front of me is in the right hand lane.

My filter goes green and my lane starts moving. Just before I get to where the silver car is his lane starts moving so we are both moving but my lane is going faster. As I pass him our wing mirrors touch and mine is folded back. I'm as tight to the kerb as I can be. I turn the corner and stop as soon as I can, about 20 yards on but the other car who was going straight on at the lights keeps going.

When I get to work I inspect my mirror and there's no real damage, just a mark that will probably come out with T-Cut.

I have no idea how badly damaged his mirror is, I don't have his reg number and I don't even know what make of car it was.

So, should I report it?

There's always the possibility that he'll report it and has my number so that will leave me open to a charge of failing to report an accident if I don't. But if I report it could I get a charge of careless driving?

I'm presuming they didn't even notice, probably a female.

Chances of them having got your reg are fairly slim if you turned left and they went straight on.

You did the right thing stopping, and I'd think it's fair to assume they either didn't stop for a reason (drinking last night, no insurance, on phone...), or don't even know what happened.

Edited by sbcmfc

You stopped - the other driver could theoretically be charged with leaving the scene of an accident. Just forget it - what can you report anyway? You have no idea the number of the other car and why sti things up when you have nothing to gain?

I'm tuned into the police radios and I've heard that there is an APB out for you right across Scotland. You, and your car,, should go into hiding for at least a fortnight. :ph34r:

Because theoretically he can report me and he might have my number.

I accept that he probably won't but you never know.

The fact you stopped and he drove away I'd say clears you. Or at best would stop you getting in bother.

(Are you sure it was a he? Sounds like a woman to me!)

Theoretically he could report you and he might even have your number number, but given the fact that the other driver did not stop, I really don't think you anything to worry about, It is just your inbuilt Celtic supporting paranoia.

Theoretically he could report you and he might even have your number number, but given the fact that the other driver did not stop, I really don't think you anything to worry about, It is just your inbuilt Celtic supporting paranoia.

He might claim me for a new mirror then claim it's the old mirror on a new car.

He might claim me for a new mirror then claim it's the old mirror on a new car.

A nice and well thought out comeback, but I still think you are just being paranoid, about the other driver making a claim against you, as they ain't got a hope in hell of proving anything, as he left the scene of the accident.

This morning at the lights, I'm in the left hand lane turning left, a silver car about 6 cars in front of me is in the right hand lane.

My filter goes green and my lane starts moving. Just before I get to where the silver car is his lane starts moving so we are both moving but my lane is going faster. As I pass him our wing mirrors touch and mine is folded back. I'm as tight to the kerb as I can be. I turn the corner and stop as soon as I can, about 20 yards on but the other car who was going straight on at the lights keeps going.

When I get to work I inspect my mirror and there's no real damage, just a mark that will probably come out with T-Cut.

I have no idea how badly damaged his mirror is, I don't have his reg number and I don't even know what make of car it was.

So, should I report it?

There's always the possibility that he'll report it and has my number so that will leave me open to a charge of failing to report an accident if I don't. But if I report it could I get a charge of careless driving?

Sorry, but that was my wing mirror you clipped, I checked it when I got to work, I need a complete new wing mirror, so if you send me £85 I won't report it, I have had to take some Valium to calm my nerves as I got such a fright,

A nice and well thought out comeback, but I still think you are just being paranoid, about the other driver making a claim against you, as they ain't got a hope in hell of proving anything, as he left the scene of the accident.

Plenty evidence on here. He has blown his cover and is banged tor rights. He would be better to lie low for a while until the heat dies down. The police already know the make, model and colour of his car. it's only a question of time before they track down his IP address. He needs to find a save house (preferably with a garage) pronto.

Chances are he's either not known about it, or he does but has just kissed it off like you have.

OR, he'll be a Mr Big gangster with corrupt police contacts that will give him details of where you live and he'll be round to see you with Big Boab (his favourite baseball bat). He probably won't do this right away - most of these guys like letting the victim sweat for a few days, weeks or even months. :wink2:

Seriously, tho, you don't need to report any collision to the cops unless someone is injured.