Liverpool v Napoli - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Before moving I watched mostly Aberdeen, scotland and probably more highland league matches. I enjoyed that more than any CL or Epl game ever. It's also not always the kick and rush hump it up the park you describe. There can sometimes be good football on offer at all levels

All you get from today is a glimpse of these players in the flesh, they wont be at their best and the game will likely be shite.

Let's cut what crap? Nobody on here disagrees that Scottish football isn't the greatest quality. I've no doubt the players on display have more talent than most but I'd still watch a highland league or scottish football match before that match at murrayfield.

Actual football? What the fuck does that even mean? Football is football, it can be enjoyed at any level. Even the so called best football can be boring to watch.

And this is exactly what's wrong with Scotland football.

"Improvement? Nah! We're fine as we are, 'cos football is football. Let's just keep the kick and rush mentality because as we can quite clearly see blood and sweat can bridge the gap. Launch the ball into the box 100 times a match, from all angles, because the law of averages means that they'll be goals".

Meanwhile in first world footballing nations, they're treated top players who have talent and skill and they continually churn out superstars.

It's alright, though, as we're only a small nation, it's not like fellow small nations like Uruguay, Denmark or Croatia have done anything.

52 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Only in Scotland would people moan about seeing the champions of Europe playing another top European side, with many great footballers on display.

Lets cut the crap. From the first day of the season, to the last, in all four domestic leagues in Scotland, up and down the country you don't see football. You see kick-and-rush, you see running as much as you can, you see launching the ball up the field at the earliest opportunity, you see lack of basic skill and talent. 

The aforementioned is not real football, not in my book. The vast majority of football fans in Scotland don't see actual football being played to a high standard, in the flesh, so let them enjoy this 90 minutes. As the rest of the year they'll be seeing players that can't pass, tackle, control, trap the ball, shoot, create, etc.

Full marks for completely missing the point 😂

Just now, The_Dark_Knight said:

And this is exactly what's wrong with Scotland football.

"Improvement? Nah! We're fine as we are, 'cos football is football. Let's just keep the kick and rush mentality because as we can quite clearly see blood and sweat can bridge the gap. Launch the ball into the box 100 times a match, from all angles, because the law of averages means that they'll be goals".

Meanwhile in first world footballing nations, they're treated top players who have talent and skill and they continually churn out superstars.

It's alright, though, as we're only a small nation, it's not like fellow small nations like Uruguay, Denmark or Croatia have done anything.

Where in my post did you get to me not wanting to see scottish football improve?

Just now, The_Dark_Knight said:

I was necessarily talking about you, I was talking about the general tone of football fans in Scotland.

The way that football is played in Scotland, from SPL downwards, is brainless.

You were talking about me, in your post you said "this is exactly what's wrong with scottish footballl" that's your first sentence in your reply to my post. That's doesn't in anyway show you are talking about general tone of Scottish football fans.

I doubt there are any fans in scotland who dont want to see the game or thei team improve but that doesn't mean we cant enjoy what we go to see.

Not every football fan goes to see great quality or even gives a fuck about the quality. 

Even down here in England theres a lot of fans who dont care for the EPL or CL. They love their football regardless of the quality on display.

What your arguing is something completely different.

3 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Only in Scotland would people moan about seeing the champions of Europe playing another top European side, with many great footballers on display.

Lets cut the crap. From the first day of the season, to the last, in all four domestic leagues in Scotland, up and down the country you don't see football. You see kick-and-rush, you see running as much as you can, you see launching the ball up the field at the earliest opportunity, you see lack of basic skill and talent. 

The aforementioned is not real football, not in my book. The vast majority of football fans in Scotland don't see actual football being played to a high standard, in the flesh, so let them enjoy this 90 minutes. As the rest of the year they'll be seeing players that can't pass, tackle, control, trap the ball, shoot, create, etc.

I read the first paragraph and was nodding in agreement.

Its not the glamour friendly I’d like. Anfield is a 3hr drive, Real Madrid or Barca id probably be on my way home from Edinburgh now myself.

The rest of your post/posts is/are fuckin’ horrendous. Ultimate Scottish cringe. Do you watch any Scottish football? Or just Old Firm games? How much of Motherwell did you see 2nd half of last season? Or what of our league cup run so far this season? I’ll let other folk defend their own team, but your comments reek of a guy who has only ever watched “his team” on sky sports.

Quality is important, but I’ve got an attachment to my team, and in all honesty no matter how shite they are, whatever sort of kick and rush we play I’ll still support them.

3 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I read the first paragraph and was nodding in agreement.

Its not the glamour friendly I’d like. Anfield is a 3hr drive, Real Madrid or Barca id probably be on my way home from Edinburgh now myself.

The rest of your post/posts is/are fuckin’ horrendous. Ultimate Scottish cringe. Do you watch any Scottish football? Or just Old Firm games? How much of Motherwell did you see 2nd half of last season? Or what of our league cup run so far this season? I’ll let other folk defend their own team, but your comments reek of a guy who has only ever watched “his team” on sky sports.

Quality is important, but I’ve got an attachment to my team, and in all honesty no matter how shite they are, whatever sort of kick and rush we play I’ll still support them.

I'm generally busy but i try to catch my local team when they play at home. If not, i go down the leagues and attend random matches.

So yes, i think i know what I'm talking about.

This isn't a debate. This is a fact. What more evidence do you need? Our third best team gets knocked out of Europe by a part time Welsh team (and it wasn't bad luck. The Welsh team were better in both legs). That not enough?  How about Kazakhstan thumping Scotland? How about not qualifying for a major international tournament for more than two decades?

The simply fact is that Scottish football has rot so badly that no one even cares that it's in a state of disrepair. No one cares that there's only a handful of players in all four leagues that can do the basics properly.

You're being rather precious about this. Let's be grown ups about this and take the criticism on the chin. The only way that Scottish football will improve is if we own our failures and work together to fix them.

People here can have a chip at me all they like. I'm not going to be drawn into an argument.

Chances are Scottish football won't change. The SFA won't improve things. The clubs won't demand that things get better. And because of this Scotland will probably never qualify for another major tournament.

But it's alright, because Motherwell had a decent second half of the season and they had a today run in the league cup. I suppose there's nothing to worry about then.

Phew!

4 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

A broken pencil mate.  Pointless.  You will only get  a row.

Tell me about it.

Then you'll be grassed on for obliterating them verbally.

A change is tack is often the best course of action, especially when it involves people that you've squashed. Think about it, when a person scales a mountain, they don't do it again. They move on. :)

2 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Tell me about it.

A change is tack is often the best course of action, especially when it involves people that you've squashed. Think about it, when a person scales a mountain, they don't do it again. They move on. :)

You haven't squashed anyone, your ignorance stops you from debating properly because you refuse to acknowledge valid points, you'll then go on a repeat the same point over and over 🙄

I did think you were very quiet since you returned but I knew youd eventually return to your old self. 

5 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Tell me about it.

😂😂😂

Chripperesque 

5 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Tell me about it.

You are just an amateur.  I have had almost everyone on here calling for my ban.  Don't let them get to you is my motto.  Scotland Forever.

15 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Real football ?
A meaningless friendly ? With 10 substitutions ?  The star men missing ?  No tackles flying ?
For £67 ?

This was a money making exercise.

6 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

You haven't squashed anyone, your ignorance stops you from debating properly because you refuse to acknowledge valid points, you'll then go on a repeat the same point over and over 🙄

I did think you were very quiet since you returned but I knew youd eventually return to your old self. 

Shush you, he is an author, don't you know?

I struggle to understand why there was 67k at this yesterday. A meaningless friendly thats ticket price was ridiculous for what the product was actually going to be. 

I was picking my mother up at my train station and there must have been 60 bin dippers waiting to jump on the train to Edinburgh yesterday. I’d estimate probably 5 might have actually seen Liverpool play live before. 

9 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I'm generally busy but i try to catch my local team when they play at home. If not, i go down the leagues and attend random matches.

So yes, i think i know what I'm talking about.

This isn't a debate. This is a fact. What more evidence do you need? Our third best team gets knocked out of Europe by a part time Welsh team (and it wasn't bad luck. The Welsh team were better in both legs). That not enough?  How about Kazakhstan thumping Scotland? How about not qualifying for a major international tournament for more than two decades?

The simply fact is that Scottish football has rot so badly that no one even cares that it's in a state of disrepair. No one cares that there's only a handful of players in all four leagues that can do the basics properly.

You're being rather precious about this. Let's be grown ups about this and take the criticism on the chin. The only way that Scottish football will improve is if we own our failures and work together to fix them.

People here can have a chip at me all they like. I'm not going to be drawn into an argument.

Chances are Scottish football won't change. The SFA won't improve things. The clubs won't demand that things get better. And because of this Scotland will probably never qualify for another major tournament.

But it's alright, because Motherwell had a decent second half of the season and they had a today run in the league cup. I suppose there's nothing to worry about then.

Phew!

The only things fans could do to help make changes would be to stop going, something that will more likely make our game worse. 

What are you doing differently to everyone else?

1 hour ago, Haggis_trap said:

Real football ?
A meaningless friendly ? With 10 substitutions ?  The star men missing ?  No tackles flying ?
For £67 ?

This was a money making exercise.

All these pre-season friendlies played here, Dublin, America, China, Japan, where ever, are exactly that. Teams don't fire across to the USA because its best for their pre-season prep, they do it to bank a few million £.

51 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

The only things fans could do to help make changes would be to stop going, something that will more likely make our game worse. 

What are you doing differently to everyone else?

Hes posting on the TAMB, that always solves the problem

Just now, McDange said:

Apparently this was the highest attended football match in Scotland in 30 years. 

A pre-season friendly between an English team versus an Italian team, in a rugby stadium. 

Did hearts and celtic not sell out the semi final last season?

44 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

All these pre-season friendlies played here, Dublin, America, China, Japan, where ever, are exactly that. Teams don't fire across to the USA because its best for their pre-season prep, they do it to bank a few million £.

And in our case our rancid authorities even allowed the cancellation of League fixtures to allow it to happen. That's a real disgrace.