The Eagle - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

...and then wait for America to get home from work to see the next bit.   I got wakened up in the middle of the night.   My folks had moved the TV to their bedroom where we sat round with my bleary wee eyes.

I, disappointingly have no great memories of it. I was very aware of the Apollo space program (in deference to the Americans), it seemed that every year there were several missions, the moon landing obviously being the culmination of it all. Seemed like it would be the beginning of the start rather than the start of the end.

I mind collecting Brooke Bond cards and sticking them in an album.   I think an artist's impression of Voyager might have been the last in the book.   I couldn't believe how long it was going to take, but it has now been completed.   Certainly enjoyed all the revelations of our solar system coming in over the years though.

I was too young also however i remember getting an astronaut suit maybe a couple of years later and my Mum kept the Radio Times for that week (back to not being able to upload pictures) - i have no idea where it is now. Maybe in the cellar with my Warlord and Commando books

11 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

I mind collecting Brooke Bond cards and sticking them in an album.   I think an artist's impression of Voyager might have been the last in the book.   I couldn't believe how long it was going to take, but it has now been completed.   Certainly enjoyed all the revelations of our solar system coming in over the years though.

Both Voyagers are still going. Heading off into interstellar space. 

Used to love it if we were having a family slideshow and an image of Neil Armstrong on the moon would appear.  In those pre VCR days faither decided the best way to record the historic event was to take a photo off the telly at 4am!

I was just a bit too young as well to remember Apollo XI clearly. I started school though in August 1969 & vividly remember all the kids being taken into the hall to watch footage of Apollo XII on the school's only television set. I also remember lessons being interrupted to talk to us about XIII & what was happening.

NASA have produced an interesting video. This uses modern hi-res lunar reconnaissance photos & data from the landing to simulate the view from Armstrong's window as he tried to land Eagle which wasn't captured at the time. It shows the problems he had several miles off course with alarms sounding & fuel running low trying to find a safe place to land:

There's a similar one that has converted the view from the camera at Aldrin's side from the grainy original footage to higher resolution:

https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/goddard/2019/lro-camera-simulates-view-from-lunar-module