HOME POINTS SYSTEM A GIFT FOR HARVESTERS - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

HOME POINTS SYSTEM A GIFT FOR HARVESTERS

Catchart Circle

The awarding of a point for purchase of a ticket for a Hampden international is wide open to abuse.

Unlike away matches no one is selected to pick up their tickets on the day so it is far too easy to buy a ticket and pass it on to someone else confident you will 100% not be `found out.’

The thinking behind it seems to be it’s only one point whereas two points for an overseas game has to be subject to checks.

Look at it this way, if someone applies for tickets for the remaining home games this calendar year they will be automatically awarded four points and no questions asked.

They then may or may not off load the briefs, recoup their money, and be credited with the same points as someone who potentially spent over a grand travelling to Russia and Cyprus.

There are members who work off shore and overseas as well as far flung corners of our own country. Clearly they are not always in the position to attend evening games so it is easy for them to  purchase on behalf of friends living in Glasgow and be rewarded for it.

Now I can hear people moaning already about not having time to queue up to collect for midweek games and it would of course be a lot of extra work for the SSC staff.

But to identify harvesters the SSC should do one of two things in my opinion.

A Implement random selection for pick ups at Hampden

Or B Scrap the awarding of points for home matches as it is too easy to cheat in its present  format.

1 hour ago, Terry Munro said:

The sfa won't be giving a fuck who uses the Hampden tickets (or if they're being used at all), just that they're being sold and they're getting the money in.

From their point of view it is a no brainer to have a point as an invcentive.

Correct. The SFA don't care how much anybody spends getting to Russia or Cyprus. And, why should they? None of that money goes into the SFA coffers. They, quite rightly, are only concerned about trying to sell tickets for home games and if they can use the lure of away tickets to help them do that, then they would be daft not to.

Points for home games is one of the best things the SFA have agreed to do in recent years. It's what the fans wanted and it's a good idea. It's only a question of time before they go for equal points for home and away games.

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Points for home games is one of the best things the SFA have agreed to do in recent years. It's what the fans wanted and it's a good idea. It's only a question of time before they go for equal points for home and away games.

Might go the whole hog and make it points for home games only, for all the away games we sell out these days it won't make much difference.

Go to all the home games, cost's me a fortune because of were I live and only joined the club this year in the belief it would help me get tickets for any home euro finals games should we get there. By the looks of the ticket allocations and prices I should have saved the £50

10 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Might go the whole hog and make it points for home games only, for all the away games we sell out these days it won't make much difference.

Go to all the home games, cost's me a fortune because of were I live and only joined the club this year in the belief it would help me get tickets for any home euro finals games should we get there. By the looks of the ticket allocations and prices I should have saved the £50

That would be the logical end game. They feel they need to do it step by step though.

11 hours ago, p gala ta said:

Very much in favour of the point for home games , bit of reward for turning up on a cold Monday night and might help me to get a ticket for Euros, if we qualify .

Yes but with respect that is not the point I am making.

How do you feel about members NOT turning up on a cold Monday night but buying tickets, pasing them on and, as you put it - getting a bit of a reward?

Would you be happy to be selected for pick up on Monday night to combat this deception?

1 hour ago, Catchart Circle said:

Yes but with respect that is not the point I am making.

How do you feel about members NOT turning up on a cold Monday night but buying tickets, pasing them on and, as you put it - getting a bit of a reward?

Would you be happy to be selected for pick up on Monday night to combat this deception?

They are being rewarded for buying a ticket. Whether they sell them onto somebody else or just don't use them isn't very important to the SFA. They just want to sell tickets. I think they would like to see the ground as full as possible but as long as they have got the money for the ticket they won't be that bothered.

What if you only got the point credited if you turn up at the ground with the ticket and your ID?

Someone prepared to arrange a trip to Russia or Cyprus should not mind one extra queue at the ground on the night?

Just now, exile said:

What if you only got the point credited if you turn up at the ground with the ticket and your ID?

Someone prepared to arrange a trip to Russia or Cyprus should not mind one extra queue at the ground on the night?

Who is going to check it and how much will it cost?

10 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

And, have you thought about the logistics of trying to check 30,000 IDs for a game at Hampden. We would all need to turn up a week before the game.

Sorry I am not a quantity surveyor! It is just a suggestion to get more people turning up to the ground!

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Who is going to pay for it and how much does it cost?

The current system involves lots and lots of human beings tearing bits of card as you go through the turnstiles. Who pays for them, how much does that cost?

There is such a thing as automation. Home printed barcodes are used at airports etc. Is it too fanciful to imagine a future involving 20th century technology?

Automated turnstiles using bar codes on tickets are being installed at Hampden for the Euros , but there is no way you can check passports or membership cards at the same time, that is a silly suggestion . With no bars allowed in the ground thousands of fans  turn up at the ground 15mins before ko..

I think Cathcart is a bit worried about a problem that barely exists, you have to be a true Scotland diehard to buy tickets for some of the recent Scotland performances, these people deserve a reward for putting their hands in their pockets and turning up  ,not massive   delays getting in .

2 hours ago, exile said:

You are on the right track mate but I am not advocating every member be IDd on entry.

The barcode idea wouldn't work as anyone can scan the ticket. I would advocate random collection as at away games.

I can assure p gala ta I know of a number of people benefiting from this loophole, one of whom buys a season and as he works off shore only uses a couple of the tickets with the rest passed on.

1 hour ago, p gala ta said:

Automated turnstiles using bar codes on tickets are being installed at Hampden for the Euros , but there is no way you can check passports or membership cards at the same time, that is a silly suggestion . With no bars allowed in the ground thousands of fans  turn up at the ground 15mins before ko..

I think Cathcart is a bit worried about a problem that barely exists, you have to be a true Scotland diehard to buy tickets for some of the recent Scotland performances, these people deserve a reward for putting their hands in their pockets and turning up  ,not massive   delays getting in .

Sorry I am not a professional digital encoding technologist! 

But you'd think there would be a way of at least identifying/encoding tickets purchased by members, so that at the very least the ticket when scanned can credit the purchaser with the point? 

This version of the suggestion would not stop 'harvesters' buying tickets for other people but it would at least ensure someone attending the match, which was part of the point, to boost attendance at home games.  

Spoke to an England fan the day after the Wembley game in 2013 from Middlesbrough who had spent the night in London. A lot of his mates had  been with him in Baker Street but watched the game on TV. They were all members of the England Club which awarded points for a home match (at this time we didn't) if you scanned your card which was bar coded.

He apparently took a batch of their cards and scanned them all at the stadium whilst they stayed in the pub.

Hopefully in the future entry to Hampden will be via barcode.  SSC members would access via card so your entry is registered.  Quicker entry and able to monitor who attends.

Then the Away points can be retired.  It's turned from die hards pre internet snd budget flights 25 years ago to stag do type holidays.

5 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

I think you should get 5 points for away games 

Thats not that bad an idea actually.

I just find it ludicrous that the SSC will police away points so stringently with 100% pick up on occasions yet have no checks on home purchases where it is easy to accumulate points at little or no expense (if you resell the ticket).

Perhaps three points for an away game and one for home matches would be more realistic- with random checks for both.