TA trip to Chernobyl 2006 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

TA trip to Chernobyl 2006

I wonder if anyone has photos, and is willing to post them, of the trip to Chernobyl when we played Ukraine in 2006.

I spent yesterday watching the whole series and it brought back memories of that day. Sadly,  I didn't have a camera and my phone then just did phone calls and texts (maybe played music too, I cannae mind).

I was watching with my wife who I met that same year in Lithuania and she can hardly believe  that we even wanted to go there so pictures would help 😀

She was especially interested in the series as it was filmed in Vilnius and even spotted her flat which she still has and rents out.

She was a little bit annoyed at the end when they only mentioned the devastating effect it had on Ukraine and Belarus - Lithuanian people also have higher cancer rates etc as a result of the disaster. She has often said how angry she feels that. as a child, she and her friends were not warned by the Soviet officials about the dangers of playing outside immediately following the disaster.

Anyway, memories of the trip.....

The site of the funfair,

going for a wee meal served up by the good ladies of Chernobyl,

someone dropping a whole loaf of bread in the river and one of the huge fish coming up and swallowing it in a oner

Worrying on the way out when being scanned that I'd be too radioactive to be allowed back to Kiev 😎

So, thanks in advance for any pictures 

I organised that trip, it doesn’t feel that long ago, but it was before we all had good phones with cameras 😳.

Hopefully you get some pictures.

Still feel bad for the one guy who turned up in his kilt and didn’t get in, think it was the Cardiff fan if memory serves me right. 

I went passport travel for that trip, in and out still disappointed with my choice to this day 😞.

Will never forget the smell of the toilets in the ground though 🤮

Edited by bonzo