Bad design - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

21 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I find kettles ok, its those stainless steel teapots that cause all the problems. I have never found one that doesn't leak. I have burnt a few old ladies whilst helping out at tea parties.

Some of them deserved it right enough. 

We have a stainless steel one from Aldi. If you need to boil more water straight away, lifting the lid up & holding it under the tap immediately splatters your hand with boiling hot water droplets from the underside of the lid. Meanwhile the spout is so small that using anything other than a slow flow of water to refill it that way showers you with cold water. 

12 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

We have a stainless steel one from Aldi. If you need to boil more water straight away, lifting the lid up & holding it under the tap immediately splatters your hand with boiling hot water droplets from the underside of the lid. Meanwhile the spout is so small that using anything other than a slow flow of water to refill it that way showers you with cold water. 

So much for German design. Though I am pretty sure kettles are not designed to be filled through the spout 🙂  I have a Breville kettle and have no problems with it.

Thats your wife’s Christmas sorted . 

Toasters. Why can’t they make them just a couple of inches deeper so that they will accept your average piece of bread and toast it in its entirety? Instead we have the top inch or so left white and untoasted. Surely this isn’t beyond the wit of man?

1 minute ago, TDYER63 said:

So much for German design. Though I am pretty sure kettles are not designed to be filled through the spout 🙂  I have a Breville kettle and have no problems with it.

Thats your wife’s Christmas sorted . 

That’s a big assumption there that she even knows it’s a problem. Short message as I can hear “get that kettle on, I feel like my throat’s been cut” coming from somewhere. 

5 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Short message as I can hear “get that kettle on, I feel like my throat’s been cut” coming from somewhere. 

I hope she doesn't  say it out loud when those dead relatives  of yours are within earshot .......

12 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

Toasters. Why can’t they make them just a couple of inches deeper so that they will accept your average piece of bread and toast it in its entirety? Instead we have the top inch or so left white and untoasted. Surely this isn’t beyond the wit of man?

Maybe you are buying the wrong shape of loaf?;)

On 7/12/2019 at 10:20 PM, Eisegerwind said:

As we all know it was the commies and trade unions that killed the british car industry, absolutely nothing to to do with this wank getting through a design meeting.image.thumb.png.84d2418145ccd6ec22cd7c12292fbad9.png

Isn't that a matter of style rather than design?

On 7/12/2019 at 4:36 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

Here's one I'd love some feedback on ....

I read somewhere years ago that in the opinion of some town planners, the chosen spot for the Kingston Bridge was a poor one. 

Anyone have anything to add on that ?

Depends what you mean by a poor spot, and/or whether it was a good idea in the first place. Also, whether it was good for traffic (crossing point) or for the local area. The fact it demolished Anderston Cross was not great from the point of view of Anderston. 

Still, at least they didn't demolish Glasgow Cathedral - but almost everything else around it was seemingly dispensable.

4632142978.jpg

1 hour ago, Eisegerwind said:

The two are probably inextricably linked, however a square steering wheel has got to be problematic, also the wheels fell off,one of those rare occasions where you can say, literally.

Ah! I hadn't noticed the square steering wheel! 😲  How would you drive that?

OK so that and wheels falling off would be bad design.

Earlier I was really referring to style in the sense of the colour, the trim, the seventies look, which is not necessarily bad design, just poor taste.

Edited by exile

18 minutes ago, exile said:

Ah! I hadn't noticed the square steering wheel! 😲 OK so that and wheels falling off would be bad design.

Earlier I was really referring to style in the sense of the colour, the trim, the seventies look, which is not necessarily bad design, just poor taste.

I don't know what age you were in the 70's, or even if you were around in the 70's but to be fair the colour and trim was in 70's term pretty stylish, everything in the 70's was a hue of brown. Just google 70's style and look at the images, everything is brown,excepting denim.

Edited by Eisegerwind

I am for too young to remember British Leyland but I did have a borrow of a 'vintage' Allegro (it may have been a Marina?) for about a week in the mid 80's. It was like driving a a badly made blancmange. The steering wheel, brakes. etc were mostly advisory.

Edited by thplinth

2 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

I don't know what age you were in the 70's but to be fair the colour and trim was in 70's term pretty stylish, everything in the 70's was a hue of brown. Just google 70's style and look at the images, everything is brown,excepting denim.

When I first saw the post, the image didn't come out (which is why I didn't see the square wheel), I think it just said ...allegro.jpg. I assumed it was a dig at the styling of the car.  

The fact you are saying the colour and trim were stylish is actually my point, that those are matters of style (a matter of opinion), different from bad design. 

2 minutes ago, exile said:

When I first saw the post, the image didn't come out (which is why I didn't see the square wheel), I think it just said ...allegro.jpg. I assumed it was a dig at the styling of the car.  

The fact you are saying the colour and trim were stylish is actually my point, that those are matters of style (a matter of opinion), different from bad design. 

Yes, fair enough, the pic for me was to illustrate the square wheel and the general Allegro, wheels falling off,  bad design.

11 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I am for too young to remember British Leyland but I did have a borrow of a 'vintage' Allegro (it may have been a Marina?) for about a week in the mid 80's. It was like driving a a badly made blancmange. The steering wheel, brakes. etc were mostly advisory.

Like this?

1975_-_austin_allegro.jpg

Edited by exile

2 hours ago, exile said:

This is sometimes considered a bad design, for a number of reasons, including  what it looks like....

national-post-history-edsel-2.jpg?qualit

Aye, even Americans consigned that to the bin, but the Edsel is now quite sought after :rolleyes:.   Probably 'cause most were recycled into baked bean tins and nuclear missile launch silos.

3 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

The two are probably inextricably linked, however a square steering wheel has got to be problematic, also the wheels fell off,one of those rare occasions where you can say, literally.

Aaargh...

ferrari-f1-steering-wheel-full-size_360_

ferrari-f1-steering-wheel-full-size_360_

Edited by Grim Jim
pic!

70s cars were generally pretty appalling.  The Allegro's steering wheel (described as "quartic", not square) was apparently designed that way for some sort of misguided ergonomic reason.  The Allegro was in effect a development of the Austin/Morris 1100, itself an enlarged version of the original Mini.  The front wheel drive transverse engined BL cars were technically more advanced than the rear drive cars such as the Marina.  The Morris Marina was a more conventional design (live rear axle, leaf springs, pretty much the format used for cars since the early 20th century) and it was an absolute pig to drive.  The underpinnings were taken from a Morris Minor (a decent car in its day) and were not up to the job of holding up the much bigger Marina, which handled badly and understeered badly even at low speed.  It was built badly, of poor quality materials, and it is the only car I have ever driven which made me feel car sick when I was actually driving it myself.  By some margin, the worst car I have ever driven - not a car I would ever have bought but the company I worked for had one for staff use.