Bad design - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

There seems to be a lot of unnecessarily bad designs around. Any good examples to get off your chest, or warn others to avoid?

Could be anything from design of clothes to cars...

For example

• When you try to switch on the TV, and the little LED flutters a bit, and appears to show it's turned on (green), and you go away but come back and find it hasn't turned on at all. Why can't they make a proper on-off switch?
  • A phone that takes ages to boot up, but doesn't alert you when it is actually ready to use. Instead you have to wait and wait and keep checking to see if the darned thing is on. Meanwhile, later, it is making all sorts of unnecessary chimes and noises and alerts for things that are not important. 
  • Computers and screens (and all-in-ones) that don't have clearly visible on/off switch - where the designer has deliberately chosen to hide the switch so you can't find it.  

And that's just turning things on and off. But you get the gist...

2 hours ago, exile said:

There seems to be a lot of unnecessarily bad designs around. Any good examples to get off your chest, or warn others to avoid?

Could be anything from design of clothes to cars...

For example

• When you try to switch on the TV, and the little LED flutters a bit, and appears to show it's turned on (green), and you go away but come back and find it hasn't turned on at all. Why can't they make a proper on-off switch?
  • A phone that takes ages to boot up, but doesn't alert you when it is actually ready to use. Instead you have to wait and wait and keep checking to see if the darned thing is on. Meanwhile, later, it is making all sorts of unnecessary chimes and noises and alerts for things that are not important. 
  • Computers and screens (and all-in-ones) that don't have clearly visible on/off switch - where the designer has deliberately chosen to hide the switch so you can't find it.  

And that's just turning things on and off. But you get the gist...

Similar issue, but I find it curious that when your phone has a low battery it flashes an LED, which ironically drains the power even quicker.

9 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

Whit!?!? ........confirming the widely held belief that aberdonians are useless when it comes to pleasuring the womenfolk.

The post reads as if he’s trying to find his own. Do you want to tell him or shall I? 😱

5 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Here's one I'd love some feedback on ....

I read somewhere years ago that in the opinion of some town planners, the chosen spot for the Kingston Bridge was a poor one. 

Anyone have anything to add on that ?

I've always wondered about that one.

34 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

People. (Animals). Reproductive organs/pleasure receptors located near to/ sharing facilities with waste outlets.

I've always wondered about that one.

46 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

As we all know it was the commies and trade unions that killed the british car industry, absolutely nothing to to do with this wank getting through a design meeting.image.thumb.png.84d2418145ccd6ec22cd7c12292fbad9.png

It has a familiar feel.   I've got something like this now.   Helps when upside down :rolleyes:

mk6-flat-bottom-mfsw.jpg

Noddy might have something to say about it, but at the time, I quite liked the Allegro's shape!   Did it not precede the eponymous hatchback?

OK, it didn't have an actual hatchback, but...   hey, ho   ...design!

I had a paper round back then, and a guy took great delight in presenting his Marina GT with its sleek fastback shape and blue vinyl roof (actully just like my dad's peacock blue mark 3 Viva) to me when I tried to collect the money.   I honestly think he was more chuffed with his car than my boyish good looks.

Any of you that have ever travelled around my part of the world will be familiar with Emley Moor TV mast, which stands on the outskirts of Huddersfield. It's one of the world's tallest structures & you can easily see it from 40/50 miles away. (One for the conspiracy theorists: it's virtually impossible to get inside the tower; there is no observation desk even though they'd make a fortune...only the occasional competition winner gets up there, under supervision. Almost makes you wonder what might be going on in there!)

018220800112060-382.jpg

_100822317_emleygraphic.jpg

As a design, it's genuinely impressive, but it had to be, as this is what happened to its predecessor:

2047573.jpg

It used a set of steel support cables to hold it in place, but a prolonged period of icy weather caused a build-up of ice & at the same time made the steel more brittle.

Nobody was killed or even seriously injured but there were a few remarkable tales of narrow escapes, including two people in the nearby Emley Moor Methodist Church who were assessing damage to the roof caused by falling ice from the tower when one of the steel cables sliced the chapel down the middle.

I love the quote from one of the engineers who was due to be working there but had been held up getting to work because of the bad conditions:

"I rang my wife to tell her the mast had come down but that I was alive. Then, we went to the pub for a pint."

12 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Kettles.  How  many years have we had kettles yet 90% still splash water everywhere when you pour them, Russell Hobbs particularly poor!

I find kettles ok, its those stainless steel teapots that cause all the problems. I have never found one that doesn't leak. I have burnt a few old ladies whilst helping out at tea parties.

Some of them deserved it right enough. 

15 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I find kettles ok, its those stainless steel teapots that cause all the problems. I have never found one that doesn't leak. I have burnt a few old ladies whilst helping out at tea parties.

Some of them deserved it right enough. 

Saw Ben Elton do a stand up session on that.