Michael Johnston - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Michael Johnston

The_Dark_Knight

(I'm not calling him "Mikey", as I'm sure only friends and family call him "Mikey", and since I'm neither, 'tis "Michael")

I have a feeling that this is going to be a breakthrough season for Johnston. His form in pre-season has been sparkling and he scored a stunner in Europe a few days ago. He has pace, skill, quick feet and a knack of gliding past players like they aren't there. Some Celtic fans say that he's a combination between McGeady and Maloney. Personally, I think he has the potential of being much better than both of them. He sees himself as a number 10, and I think ultimately that's where he'll play, if he develops. 

Plus Lennon likes him, so he'll probably be in the Celtic starting lineup at the start of the season. In pre-season Johnston hired a fitness coach to work with him, so he's definitely serious about hitting the ground running this season.

The FAI approached him a couple of years ago, but since then he's played for the Scotland Under 21s, so it would appear that he's chosen Scotland... then you visit his Twitter page and discover that his main photograph is of him draped in a Tricolour… then you begin to wonder. But then again, I might be putting 2 and 2 together and making 300. Besides, if he did flirt with Ireland they would've probably have called him up to their full squad and played him by now.

https://twitter.com/mikeyjohnston10

If I was Steve Clarke I would be on the phone to him ASAP to tell him that he's going to be in the squad to face Russia in a couple of months time. We only really have one dribbler in our squad (Forrest) so it would be nice to have another one. And no, Fraser isn't a dribbler, stats show from the 2018/19 season he dribbled just 0.6 times per game, as opposed to Forrest who dribbles 8 times per 90 mins.

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

5 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

And no, Fraser isn't a dribbler, stats show from the 2018/19 season he dribbled just 0.6 times per game, as opposed to Forrest who dribbles 8 times per 90 mins.

Stats are from two different sources, first are the same as who scored's for Fraser. Forrest's are virtually impossible using their methods.

Not saying which one is right but you can't compare  figures unless they are from the same source

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Stats are from two different sources, first are the same as who scored's for Fraser. Forrest's are virtually impossible using their methods.

Not saying which one is right but you can't compare  figures unless they are from the same source

From watching both players i'd believe it to be truth.

Bournemouth players all pass and move, kinda like a low budget Manchester City. So maybe it's down to individual instructions rather than player inclination.

1 hour ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

From watching both players i'd believe it to be truth.

Bournemouth players all pass and move, kinda like a low budget Manchester City. So maybe it's down to individual instructions rather than player inclination.

Well there's no player in Europe who averages 8 dribbles a game according to who scored and of the top of my head I don't think I have see any one with more than five in a game although i don't check that many

What was the source for the Forrest Stats?

1 hour ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Two sets can't be comparable at all, only a handful of players in Europe's top leagues average over 4 a game last season

Forrest averaged 1.4 a game in his 7 Europa league games last season 

Both these Stats are based on who.scored.com results.

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Two sets can't be comparable at all, only a handful of players in Europe's top leagues average over 4 a game last season

Forrest averaged 1.4 a game in his 7 Europa league games last season 

Both these Stats are based on who.scored.com results.

Maybe you should contact the Herald and point out their mistakes. :P

10 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Some Celtic fans say that he's a combination between McGeady and Maloney. Personally, I think he has the potential of being much better than both of them. He sees himself as a number 10, and I think ultimately that's where he'll play, if he develops. 

I'd actually say he is more of a cross between Mackay-Steven and Forrest, than the 2 you mentioned. He has a trick up his sleeve without overdoing it, like GMS. But is also quite direct with an eye for goal, like Forrest. If he ends up as good as Maloney, I'll be ecstatic. A consistently fit Maloney would have been a Scotland legend, in my opinion.

Just now, Tartan blood said:

I'd actually say he is more of a cross between Mackay-Steven and Forrest, than the 2 you mentioned. He has a trick up his sleeve without overdoing it, like GMS. But is also quite direct with an eye for goal, like Forrest. If he ends up as good as Maloney, I'll be ecstatic. A consistently fit Maloney would have been a Scotland legend, in my opinion.

Honestly, I'd just be thrilled if he lived up to his billing. We haven't had a player who could create magic out of nothing since McFadden. There's definitely a little bit of McFadden about Johnston, with his direct running style. Johnston is faster, though.

It could a big season for him. 

Please let's not bum this kid up too much just yet. I've been very quietly optimistic about his potential for quite a while having watched him a few times for Scotland's youth sides. Thus far he has managed to develop nicely without being tagged as the next big thing. Obviously performances and goals are starting to get him noticed rather than the usual youth football whispers which is a good thing, I just hope he is allowed to develop before Scotland fans start pinning our hopes on him. He is though very talented I just hope he is given time to fulfill his potential. Johnston along with Gilmour are our bright hopes at the moment. 

57 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Please let's not bum this kid up too much just yet. I've been very quietly optimistic about his potential for quite a while having watched him a few times for Scotland's youth sides. Thus far he has managed to develop nicely without being tagged as the next big thing. Obviously performances and goals are starting to get him noticed rather than the usual youth football whispers which is a good thing, I just hope he is allowed to develop before Scotland fans start pinning our hopes on him. He is though very talented I just hope he is given time to fulfill his potential. Johnston along with Gilmour are our bright hopes at the moment. 

I get it and I agree.

We've seen so many false dawns and pinned our hopes to so many players, by law of averages we ought to see at least one of these kids fulfil their promise... Hopefully.

1 hour ago, bazmidd said:

Holding down a place at Celtic is more pressure than a handful of fans on a forum. He does look special as does Gilmour. Add McTominay, Turnbull and Hornby and we’re getting somewhere. Not to mention the wave of 18 year olds about to make it into first teams.

3 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Not to mention the wave of 18 year olds about to make it into first teams.

It's one thing saying that, it's quite another managers putting them in their first team.

The sooner the SFA introduce a quota on homegrown players in matchday squads, the better. Plus a three foreigner rule would be lovely.

Did man City and Chelsea have more than four English men in there first team squads last year

2 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

The EPL still do it.

Not saying that it's the reason why England have been so successful at youth level recently, but it might be a factor. If nothing else, it forces clubs to bring their own.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Did man City and Chelsea have more than four English men in there first team squads last year

Chelsea had 10, but interestingly Man City only had 6, and as far as I know the rule is a minimum of 8 in a full 25-man squad? 

Ah ha. 

‘A “Home-Grown Player” means a player who, irrespective of nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to The Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons, or 36 months, before his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21).’

19 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

Chelsea had 10, but interestingly Man City only had 6, and as far as I know the rule is a minimum of 8 in a full 25-man squad? 

I could be misreading things but Chelsea only started 4 English players in the EPL at all last season for the grand total of 23 games between them.

Not sure were this will all end up but it's easy to imagine lots of promising youngsters having their careers held back by bigger clubs, or does it mean smaller clubs will be able to attract better foreigners.

21 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Draped in the flag of another country, only in Scotland 

Algerians, Moroccans and Tunisians in France.

Turks in Germany.

English in Spain and Portugal.

Croats in Australia.

Italians and Irish in the USA.

Scots in Canada.

Yet another cracker from the TAMB's self appointed master intellect PIAK.

24 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Algerians, Moroccans and Tunisians in France.

Turks in Germany.

English in Spain and Portugal.

Croats in Australia.

Italians and Irish in the USA.

Scots in Canada.

Yet another cracker from the TAMB's self appointed master intellect PIAK.

Oh dear. Any chance you can point out my posts were I claim to be a master intellect? Cheers.