Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 78 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh well they fucked that but Europa is probably a better level for Celtic. Better chance of a good run in the Europa. 

Hopefully Mikey Johnston gets called up in march he looks good and we don't have alot of top wingers coming through.

Could potentially be the best of our wingers 

14 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Apart from the champions league

I am happy with what Celtic have achieved so far in Europe. CL is a fuckin joke anyway. We are better suited in the Europa Cup.. We do not have the money to compete in the CL. And as for 4 rounds of qualifying for it when Engerland, Italy, Germany, and Spain get 4 automatic spots, they can shove it right up their UEFA corrupt arse.. 🙂

17 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Just a thought: why not start Christie up front as a deep lying cf? He scores goals and allows us to keep Forrest and Fraser in the team.

Tbh it's not a bad idea, the guy has scored a goal every 2 games this season for Celtic from midfield. He's maybe the striker we have been calling out for. He's excellent at link up play and he has relentless workrate and stamina for closing down .It would as you say, allow us to keep Forrest and Fraser in the team. 

6 minutes ago, gonzohiggy said:

Could potentially be the best of our wingers 

Agree, very happy to see him back tonight. He just has so much quality on the ball, and for someone so young and just starting his career he impressively seems to make the right decisions in the final 3rd more often than not. He also has that little bit of a gallus streak in him which Scottish wingers of the past were famous for. Hope he can stay injury free now and get a good run in Celtics team. If he is fit and on form he would be a wildcard pick for me in the playoffs

5 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I am happy with what Celtic have achieved so far in Europe. CL is a fuckin joke anyway. We are better suited in the Europa Cup.. We do not have the money to compete in the CL. And as for 4 rounds of qualifying for it when Engerland, Italy, Germany, and Spain get 4 automatic spots, they can shove it right up their UEFA corrupt arse.. 🙂

Not sure were I saw it but you would make far more money by just qualifying for the champions league than you would for winning the Europa League.

But you are right it is beyond a joke the qualification for the champions league.

26 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Not sure were I saw it but you would make far more money by just qualifying for the champions league than you would for winning the Europa League.

But you are right it is beyond a joke the qualification for the champions league.

The money, defo mate, agree there..

On 11/28/2019 at 12:28 AM, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

At CB when fit they have Ajer and Nordtveit at Hoffenheim (ex arsenal very good centre half), the RB from olympiacos is their Captain (his contract is up this season and he will end up a good team) and I think their left back is Merling from Rosenberg (not sure though), their Goalkeeper while 35/36 was one of the top keepers in the bundesliga last year. Outside of LB they blow us out of the water in first team defence/goalkeeper, a few injuries though and the quality will noticeably drop.

Nordtveit had two really bad spells in the premier league for West Ham and Fulham, does seem to be better in Bundesliga as you say.

Their second choice keeper plays for Villa and I can assure you he isn't great.

On 11/28/2019 at 12:26 AM, ParisInAKilt said:

Don’t agree. If they were more than decent they’d play for better teams, they might still do but at the moment decent in an international sense is fair. 

When you look at the 2007 "vintage" that was tight knit and worked well but it's not like those players were playing significantly higher up the football table than what is here now.

The starting midfield in that campaign was pretty much Paul Hartley as holder who ventured down to play for Bristol City for a season but largely had a tour of SPL clubs. Similar to Fleck in that he only got first called up at 29.

Then Darren Fletcher, fair enough.

Scott Brown was early 20s then and seen as highly promising at Celtic. Can remember them knocking back a bid from West Brom, can't remember any other teams coming in.

Lee MCullouch was on the left and chipped in with some crucial goals. Christie actually reminds me a bit in how he's developing as when McCulloch came through at Motherwell he was a CF but was then moved out wide or midfield. His scoring record was pretty good, even at Wigan it was pretty much 1 in 4.

Barry Ferguson the experienced midfielder although he was back at Rangers by then. Debate will stay rage how good his spell at Blackburn actually was.

Then upfront v weaker teams it was McFadden and Miller with McFadden then as the sole striker in the bigger games.

As an aside I always thought it was a mistake Miller never started the Italy game. He had a terrific one v them two years previous and gave Cannavaro real trouble. When he came on Faddy drifted out wide and had that mad run for the near goal at 1-1.

19 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

When you look at the 2007 "vintage" that was tight knit and worked well but it's not like those players were playing significantly higher up the football table than what is here now.

The starting midfield in that campaign was pretty much Paul Hartley as holder who ventured down to play for Bristol City for a season but largely had a tour of SPL clubs. Similar to Fleck in that he only got first called up at 29.

Scott Brown was early 20s then and seen as highly promising at Celtic. Can remember them knocking back a bid from West Brom, can't remember any other teams coming in.

Lee MCullouch was on the left and chipped in with some crucial goals. Christie actually reminds me a bit in how he's developing as when McCulloch came through at Motherwell he was a CF but was then moved out wide or midfield. His scoring record was pretty good, even at Wigan it was pretty much 1 in 4.

Barry Ferguson the experienced midfielder although he was back at Rangers by then. Debate will stay rage how good his spell at Blackburn actually was.

Then upfront v weaker teams it was McFadden and Miller with McFadden then as the sole striker in the bigger games.

As an aside I always thought it was a mistake Miller never started the Italy game. He had a terrific one v them two years previous and gave Cannavaro real trouble. When he came on Faddy drifted out wide and had that mad run for the near goal at 1-1.

None of that changes my current assessment of Fleck, McGinn and McTominay. 

5 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Celtic winning 3 nil. Three goals from scots. Surely we should start to consider that we actually have some decent players and under good management we should be able to get good results. Celtic have strolled Europe this season with Scots being some of their best players. Christie is clearly a star who Celtic will be lucky to keep hold of.

Celtic have done fantastically well in Europe this season, but I wouldn't use tonight as the example it was basically the Rennes reserve team with that cunt of a keeper Mendy in goals (glad he messed up for Celtics second), still a fantastic result but beating a full strength Lazio side home and away is much better example of how well Celtic have done this year, I'd say drawing away to full strength Rennes (& being unlucky not to get more) was better aswell. While we have done well (and better than I thought we would, losing just once due to Tav mistakes), Celtics Results have been truly phenomenal and looking at their group beforehand, I thought (& most of my Celtic mates) it would've been very tight with Lazio probably running away with the group. Fair play

In saying that, I thought Morgan did very well as a makeshift striker, however barring injury to Eduaord I doubt he will get much of a chance to grow into the role.

I know they have nothing to play for in match day 5 but I hope they want to remain unbeaten in the group stages and go for atleast a draw in Cluj. A draw for Celtic and Rangers would see us both through and keep us 15th above Cyprus regardless of APOEL's result. 

I'm just hoping both can continue these positive results can continue for aslong as possible, because I am sick of playing qualifiers from the start of July. While a lot of people don't think this is positive for the other Scottish clubs, it actually is. Instead of starting at the beginning of European competitions and having to play 8 games for a crack at the Europa League. They will now have 2 less rounds to play and even if they fail, they then drop into either the playoff of the conference league or group stages of the conference league. While I doubt the conference league will be financially amazing, it should still get you quite a few million through prize money and ticket money.

2 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

He was being slaughtered for his performance at the weekend too

The reviews were mixed.  He played a part in both their goals and that was recognised.

A new manager could be good for Arsenal because they do have some very good players.

12 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

McCulloch will be absolutely buzzing at that comparison!

Guest ElChris04

Absolutely over the moon with last night’s result as a Celtic supporter. 

Lewis Morgan was a different class and played the best game of his career last night as CF/ST. Only one game but if he gets regular play time there and continues to perform then it would be a great boost for the playoffs having a much need player in a position we don’t have much quality In.

James Forrest - unreal on the left again. Caused havoc most of the game and grabbed assist from a wonderful put ball. 

Ryan Christie - Exceptional, performance. His work rate, Passing,Dribbling all quality and grabbed a goal with a top class finish. It feels the norm now with his quality performances.  

Mikey Johnston - wow just wow. First game back from injury and was my 2nd half MOTM. What a player he’s turning into, can’t remember a celtic player I’ve been this excited to watch at his age . He’s dribbling and technical ability is wonderful to watch. Took the piss against so many Rennes players taking them on and dribbling past them with ease. Then skipping around 2 players quick pass, with wonderful ball control and a class finish to grab a goal. I don’t think there’s a Scottish player we’ve had with his ability at his age for a loooong time. 

Leigh Griffiths- made a cameo and nearly scored when he took on his man, beat him but shot right at the keeper. Looks really sharp though which is always positive.

McGregor - Tidy performance . Kept possession and made everyone neat in the game with his passing. 

still only november, but with Mikey back from injury and putting in one hell of a performance. Lewis Morgan’s career potentially being revived at CF/ST and griff making cameos along with the continued rise of Christie and class performances of Forrest and McGregor. I’m really looking forward to see how things continue on the road to the playoffs. 

6 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Surely Johnston has to be called up, we don't have many talented young wingers coming through and it would be a shame til wait until he's 22 or 23 before he gets capped.

For some incomprehensible reason, the long held mentality behind our national football team is that 24 or 25 is the recommended age for a debut :mad:

Fuck that. 

Guest ElChris04
12 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Surely Johnston has to be called up, we don't have many talented young wingers coming through and it would be a shame til wait until he's 22 or 23 before he gets capped.

If he continues his form it’ll be inevitable he gets called up.