Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 76 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

1 hour ago, bazmidd said:

How high a quality of Midfielder are we talking here exactly? If you are talking the very highest as in the best the Champions League has to offer then no they re not of that quality just yet. They are the level below that though, they have the quality to compete with the best Midfielders in the game, as they are proving this season, and have proved certainly in McTominay’s case before. 

Not very high quality as was originally suggested. Think McTominay has the potential to compete at a higher level but not sure about McGinn and definitely not for Fleck. Being average EPL midfielders is fine but it’s not the level below the highest quality. 

11 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Not very high quality as was originally suggested. Think McTominay has the potential to compete at a higher level but not sure about McGinn and definitely not for Fleck. Being average EPL midfielders is fine but it’s not the level below the highest quality. 

You are all over the shop here mate.  My question was in relation to what quality of Midfielders you are comparing them against? In my eyes the only level higher than EPL is Champions League, and I mean the top clubs in the Champions League who reach knockout stages regularly. Liverpool are the Champions League winners, Spurs runners up, Fleck and McGinn were outstanding against these clubs. These guys are quite clearly playing above average this season for their clubs. They are 3 of the best performing Midfielders in the league and competing and performing against the highest quality of Midfielders there is. 

13 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

You are all over the shop here mate.  My question was in relation to what quality of Midfielders you are comparing them against? In my eyes the only level higher than EPL is Champions League, and I mean the top clubs in the Champions League who reach knockout stages regularly. Liverpool are the Champions League winners, Spurs runners up, Fleck and McGinn were outstanding against these clubs. These guys are quite clearly playing above average this season for their clubs. They are 3 of the best performing Midfielders in the league and competing and performing against the highest quality of Midfielders there is. 

I don’t think I am. Maybe we just have different ideas of what a quality midfielder is and how you define one. Having a good game against spurs doesn’t make you a quality midfielder. Not unless you do it season after season and then move onto a higher level including for Scotland against teams like Russia.

20 hours ago, ElChris04 said:

Fleck is a good player. Was impressed when he came on against Kazakhstan and put that lovely through ball to Taylor that led to the goal. It’s a positive but difficult decision for Clarke. Here’s hoping all our players stay in from since it is still 4 months away and who knows what form and players will breakthrough by then. Just one thing for sure our midfield is looking very tidy Indeed. 

Actually scrub just the Christie love, Greg Taylor is also a player I really like ever since I watched him in the Toulon tournament in 2017. Disappointing he hasn't started much for Celtic so far, no minutes so far in the europa.

6 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

The lower half of the EPL for half a season isn’t the highest level 

It's pretty good compared to Norway I'd counter.

They called up for their last squad in midfield:

Iver Fossum- plays for Aab in Denmark

Frederik Ulvestad- was briefly at Burnley, now plays for Djurgarden.

Sander Berg- Seems to be highly rated. At Genk

Markus Henriksen- Been at Hull last 3 years

Mats Moller Daehli- At St Paul in Bundesliga 2. Flopped at Cardiff.

Morten Thorsby- Signed for Sampdoria in the summer, just the one game so far.

Stefan Johansen was injured. Was decent at Celtic and done well at Fulham although like Cairney he struggled to make an impact in the prem.

Of course Odegaard was injured and he will be world class within next two years given the form he's showed for Real Sociedad so far but that's still just one player in a group of 7.

That could be the likely final opponent. I get Scotland don't have the world class players of 70s and 80s and battle hardened ones of the 90s but I do wonder sometimes which national teams people are comparing to when they deride parts of the squad.

Do people just look at Wales, see Bale and Ramsey and ignore all the other championship/lower level players in the squad. Same for the Ireland teams.

Difference is these nations have players who'll always turn up unless they have broken bones so they can properly build systems and team spirit, more of a problem at the Scotland camp.

7 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Stefan Johansen was injured. Was decent at Celtic and done well at Fulham although like Cairney he struggled to make an impact in the prem.

Of course Odegaard was injured and he will be world class within next two years given the form he's showed for Real Sociedad so far but that's still just one player in a group of 7.

That could be the likely final opponent. I get Scotland don't have the world class players of 70s and 80s and battle hardened ones of the 90s but I do wonder sometimes which national teams people are comparing to when they deride parts of the squad.

Do people just look at Wales, see Bale and Ramsey and ignore all the other championship/lower level players in the squad. Same for the Ireland teams.

Difference is these nations have players who'll always turn up unless they have broken bones so they can properly build systems and team spirit, more of a problem at the Scotland camp.

The teams that qualify ahead of us. There’s been quite a few over the years. 

16 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Liam Cooper given man of the match against Reading last night.

Played left hand side of a back three.

Perhaps it's time to discuss three at the back, possibly a good idea if we moved Robertson into central midfield?

Totally agree, that's a fresh and brand new idea. It could be revolutionary 😉

20 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Liam Cooper given man of the match against Reading last night.

Played left hand side of a back three.

Perhaps it's time to discuss three at the back, possibly a good idea if we moved Robertson into central midfield?

Definitely. If it worked in one game for Leeds, we should definitely do it, preferably in a competitive game first.

11 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

I think that we probably do have a stronger midfield than Norway.  You also missed out Mohamed Elyounoussi, who is a cracking player.

It their attack v our defence which worries me the most.  King and Haland will terrorise them.  

43 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I think that we probably do have a stronger midfield than Norway.  You also missed out Mohamed Elyounoussi, who is a cracking player.

It their attack v our defence which worries me the most.  King and Haland will terrorise them.  

Okay but what is their defence like? Is Ajaer the best they have got? He is a good player but not a great player. Our Attackers are capable of causing them problems too. We should just go for the jugular against them... If it is them, and if we make it to the final... Lol one step at a time

18 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Nah I’d say the difference is other teams have good players and a good manager. 

21 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

The teams that qualify ahead of us. There’s been quite a few over the years. 

Many teams that qualify are tight knit and tough to break down, Scotland were exactly this in the 90s after all.

That dosen't mean there's little quality. To me it's the strongest selection of midfielders and wide players since then but obvious issues upfront and in defence.

8 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Many teams that qualify are tight knit and tough to break down, Scotland were exactly this in the 90s after all.

That dosen't mean there's little quality. To me it's the strongest selection of midfielders and wide players since then but obvious issues upfront and in defence.

Aye not sure I agree, McGinn and McTominay are decent players, same with Fraser and Forrest but that’s about it at the moment. We lack genuine quality in midfield and have done for years. 

50 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Aye not sure I agree, McGinn and McTominay are decent players, same with Fraser and Forrest but that’s about it at the moment. We lack genuine quality in midfield and have done for years. 

Lambert, Ferguson, Fletcher, Brown...it's been our strongest area for a long time. 

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I think mcginn and mctominay are way more than decent. Our midfield is and has always been strong. Most countries would love to have the midfielders we have.

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think mcginn and mctominay are way more than decent. Our midfield is and has always been strong. Most countries would love to have the midfielders we have.

Don’t agree. If they were more than decent they’d play for better teams, they might still do but at the moment decent in an international sense is fair. 

10 hours ago, bazmidd said:

Okay but what is their defence like? Is Ajaer the best they have got? He is a good player but not a great player. Our Attackers are capable of causing them problems too. We should just go for the jugular against them... If it is them, and if we make it to the final... Lol one step at a time

At CB when fit they have Ajer and Nordtveit at Hoffenheim (ex arsenal very good centre half), the RB from olympiacos is their Captain (his contract is up this season and he will end up a good team) and I think their left back is Merling from Rosenberg (not sure though), their Goalkeeper while 35/36 was one of the top keepers in the bundesliga last year. Outside of LB they blow us out of the water in first team defence/goalkeeper, a few injuries though and the quality will noticeably drop.

7 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Don’t agree. If they were more than decent they’d play for better teams, they might still do but at the moment decent in an international sense is fair. 

Who are you comparing us to in an international sense. Ireland, Norway, Israel etc all have worse midfielders than us. I am happy to accept that our cbs and strikers are not any good but trying to claim our midfielders are not good enough for international football is rubbish. 

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

Who are you comparing us to in an international sense. Ireland, Norway, Israel etc all have worse midfielders than us. I am happy to accept that our cbs and strikers are not any good but trying to claim our midfielders are not good enough for international football is rubbish. 

Where have I claimed that?

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

You claimed that our midfielders are only decent. Most countries would love to have our options centre midfield.

They are only decent. Didn’t you see the Belgium and Russia games? 

Well they can only play for us so that’s a bit of a meaningless statement unless you’ve quotes from other countries managers.