Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 73 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

21 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I think I'd go for McTominay alongside Jack. Forrest and Christie wide (with Fraser competing with Forrest for a place) and McGinn supporting the striker. To think, we can have McGregor, Arstrong, Fleck and McLean on the bench is extremely positive.

Despite that McGregor has had some car crash games

He's the deep lying play maker

When it works, he would make the whole system tick

He will play

Edited by Bino's

15 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I think I'd go for McTominay alongside Jack. Forrest and Christie wide (with Fraser competing with Forrest for a place) and McGinn supporting the striker. To think, we can have McGregor, Arstrong, Fleck and McLean on the bench is extremely positive.

I would start McLean, Fleck or McGregor ahead of Jack. Christie at right mid which probably leaves left mid to Fraser unless any of our other midfielders can do a job there. I thought Forrest was really good on left side last week, no idea how often he plays there though

6 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

People do realise Jack isn't a sitting midfielder at Rangers, he is a box to box midfielder, who is starting to add more goals to his game in recent months. Davis is more of the deep lying player.

We don’t need him to be a sitting player like Davis. We need him to provide a balance to more attacking midfielders like mcgregor. This doesn’t mean he just sits in front of the defence and doesn’t move (although it may against top opposition).

We have a really strong bunch of midfielders but with the wrong balance we will be soft through the middle and easily played through imo.

13 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Very true but I’m not sure Robertson can be accused of that. 

It’s something that has went on for years even as far back as Souness. 

Sadly many players don’t see playing for their country as a priority. 

His last two call offs have been due to toothache and a minor injury that he recovered from days later to start for his club side.

Long gone are the days of a proper captain like Darren Fletcher who played through a hell of a lot worse than toothache.

26 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Well, I'd have him before Brophy I suppose. 

Hardly someone to set the heart racing, though. 

1 hour ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

You could say he's taken the easier option to improve his CV with a couple of caps.

Edited by ceudmilefailte

9 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

People do realise Jack isn't a sitting midfielder at Rangers, he is a box to box midfielder, who is starting to add more goals to his game in recent months. Davis is more of the deep lying player.

I see Jack as similar to Calum Paterson tbh, someone who can play RB and a few positions in midfield without being amazing in any of them.

Certainly well worth a squad place but I wouldn't have him as a starter unless there are injuries which of course usually happen.

17 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

I see Jack as similar to Calum Paterson tbh, someone who can play RB and a few positions in midfield without being amazing in any of them.

Certainly well worth a squad place but I wouldn't have him as a starter unless there are injuries which of course usually happen.

They couldn't be less alike to be honest. Paterson is a big lump who is excellent in air. Jack has far more to his game than that. 

Strikes me you haven't watched Jack much if at all. 

Id say he is more like an ander herrera type player without being as good. 

11 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Add EPL striker to Paterson's CV.

Begining to think that after asking not to be selected in Kazakhstan because of an ongoing  injury  issue and the subsequent  injury in San Marino  a few days later there is a problem with him and the national team.

He hasn't been getting much game time at Cardiff though so maybe that's why. But then we pick plenty players that aren't getting much game time

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

His last two call offs have been due to toothache and a minor injury that he recovered from days later to start for his club side.

Long gone are the days of a proper captain like Darren Fletcher who played through a hell of a lot worse than toothache.

I’m assuming you’ve never had bad toothache? If you have you’d know you couldn’t play football with it.

Having said that, I’m not sure how bad Robertson’s toothache was. Didn’t he need an operation of some sort on it though? 

49 minutes ago, gonzohiggy said:

They couldn't be less alike to be honest. Paterson is a big lump who is excellent in air. Jack has far more to his game than that. 

Strikes me you haven't watched Jack much if at all. 

Id say he is more like an ander herrera type player without being as good. 

Paterson is 1.83m, Jack is 1.82m so yeah huge height difference....

Both have played RB and somewhere in midfield for the national team.

Got to say the only Scot in the Old Firm who can do no wrong for me is Ryan Christie. Always liked him since his Caley Thistle days and after a slow start at Celtic he's playing very well now. Hopefully the performances and goals for the NT will come in time.

49 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Add EPL striker to Paterson's CV.

Begining to think that after asking not to be selected in Kazakhstan because of an ongoing  injury  issue and the subsequent  injury in San Marino  a few days later there is a problem with him and the national team.

He hasn't been getting much game time at Cardiff though so maybe that's why. But then we pick plenty players that aren't getting much game time

He was actually scoring a few goals in the premier league but got a bad injury after xmas. He isn't playing much this season which suggests he hasn't fully recovered as he was always a stick on starter in their promotion season under Warnock.

Ages since he was seen as the saviour for the RB position anyway!

Just now, Tartan Chris said:

Got to say the only Scot in the Old Firm who can do no wrong for me is Ryan Christie. Always liked him since his Caley Thistle days and after a slow start at Celtic he's playing very well now. Hopefully the performances and goals for the NT will come in time.

I would say they have started to come and his performances in Europe suggest he is a quality player.

Disagree with you about McGregor and Forrest though, I would say they are very strong squad members and possible/probable starters given certain circumstances. I suppose you could add Jack to that category.

Don't really rate Forrest tbh, good SPL player but beyond that I don't see a higher level like imo Christie has.

That said if Scotland do make the euros he played a massive part with that hat trick v Israel.

I think Christie if he continues his development could comfortably join many of the others and play for mid table prem team with no bother.

Reminds me of Armstrong with his development over last 12 months but his struggles to get a regular game in a poor Southampton show it's all about joining the right club that won't be changing manager every five minutes.

10 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

He was actually scoring a few goals in the premier league but got a bad injury after xmas. He isn't playing much this season which suggests he hasn't fully recovered as he was always a stick on starter in their promotion season under Warnock.

Ages since he was seen as the saviour for the RB position anyway!

Best two performances by a Scotland team in the last few years he was the right back and that was behind Forrest who produced two of the best individual performances by a Scotsman I have seen over the last few years.

I don't get it.

37 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Don’t always trust google - Paterson is 185cm if you can rely on soccerbase. Paterson certainly appears bigger and uses his size well.

They are completely different players, regardless if they have both played midfield and right back at different times. It’s a very lazy and strange comparison. 

Jack is a far more intelligent footballer than Paterson in my view. Paterson has a long throw and is great in the air.

agree re Christie, class act.