Jump to content
SkyBlueScot

Scottish players in action 19/20

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

Agreed. The fact that Celtic came from behind in both games against Lazio to win shows incredible self belief as well. Rangers also won without playing particularly well, Jack was a standout. 

Just wish that mentality would stretch to the national team.

Definitely a great display of mental strength and of fortitude to come from behind in both matches. 

I'm not the quickest to praise the Celtic fans but at parkhead at least they did not turn on their team for going 1 behind early doors. If Scotland lose an early goal we have a bad habit of getting right on top of them, especially lately. But I think Celtic have some leaders in Brown and Lennon that we have lacked a lot of the time. Not Coincidentally, Strachan, when he got Brown back, eventually got his Scotland team able to carry a degree of mental strength and we came from behind in a number of games. 

But you are also talking about two sets of players used to winning, expecting to win, the fabled winning mentality. Sure, it helps when Lazio gift ye goals not long before halftime and right at the end 9not to mention other chances Celtic should have capitalised on) but the results speak for themselves. 

Here's hoping we start to see some crossover of that mentality.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Celtic and Rangers certainly proving they can do it against more than just the minnows of the Scottish Premiership. Hopefully their form continues and they bring more scots into their starting line-ups. They are close to securing Scotland two teams in Champions League qualifying again. 

Love them or hate them they are not going anywhere, and the success of any Scottish team is a good thing for the Scotland national team in my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm never shy in my criticism of Old Firm players, but looking at the stats, McGregor had a pass success rate of (97.7%), which is incredible. However, stats don't tell the full truth, they could've been all back and side passes. Still, though, it's impressive... The rest of game, not so.

If nothing else, it'll show Steve Clarke that Forrest, McGregor and Christie can play in a midfield 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bino's said:

Ryan Jack's form should get him a start at DM

He might be in great form, but the question is who do you leave out - McTominay or McGinn, I cant see either being dropped as they too are also in good form.  Clarke needs to find his best team for the play-offs, I'm all for him getting minutes but not as a starter unless someone is carrying a knock for the second game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

He might be in great form, but the question is who do you leave out - McTominay or McGinn, I cant see either being dropped as they too are also in good form.  Clarke needs to find his best team for the play-offs, I'm all for him getting minutes but not as a starter unless someone is carrying a knock for the second game. 

Neither are really DM's though

He is

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

If nothing else, it'll show Steve Clarke that Forrest, McGregor and Christie can play in a midfield 5.

And support a loan front-man...

Add Fraser and McTominay and we have a really good midfield. McGinn and Armstrong could replace McGregor or Christie without weakening us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bino's said:

Ryan Jack's form should get him a start at DM

Any other position and you'd be right.

I'd start him at right-back. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

He might be in great form, but the question is who do you leave out - McTominay or McGinn, I cant see either being dropped as they too are also in good form.  Clarke needs to find his best team for the play-offs, I'm all for him getting minutes but not as a starter unless someone is carrying a knock for the second game. 

McTominay looks like he'll be out injured for these two games so there's your answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Dave78 said:

He doesn't have the workrate. Or the game intelligence. Or the positional sense. Or the ability to learn (something his past coaches have complained about).

Apart from that, i'm sure he'd be brilliant. :ok:

Olly Burke actually has a decent work rate, he worked his socks off at Celtic, he certainly isn't a lazy player. At right wing back he only has to run up and down the line doesn't take an awful lot game intelligence. Positional sense would need work defensively but where is this evidence he doesn't have the ability to learn, perhaps he quite simply just isn't suited to playing up front, which is so far definitely the case. To get the best from Olly Burkes attributes he needs space to run into, he has to be facing the play and using his power and pace to go past people from wide positions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bino's said:

Neither are really DM's though

He is

Agree, but he's not quite playing that way for Rangers; he and Davis have a more attacking brief than just sitting in front of the back four. His composure and passing skills are impressive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Bino's said:

Certainly McGregor

Given the previous results and performances it would be madness if McGregor was picked ahead of Fleck or Jack. 
 

That being said none of the above can be ahead of McTominay, McGinn or possibly Christie, albeit Jack would play in a holding role where Christie wouldn’t 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Given the previous results and performances it would be madness if McGregor was picked ahead of Fleck or Jack. 
 

That being said none of the above can be ahead of McTominay, McGinn or possibly Christie, albeit Jack would play in a holding role where Christie wouldn’t 

Jeez a Midfield of McTominay, McGinn and McGregor should be able to perform and keep a shape to a required standard both offensively and defensively against Kazakhstan and Cyprus. McGregor and McTominay as the base should be enough against most sides, I would only put in a specialised Defensive Mid against better nations than us. Anyway McGregor almost plays a similar role to Jack right now, in fact Jack has been getting forward more than McGregor recently with Davis protecting. As Roy Keane said a Midfielder should pretty much be able to do a bit of everything and between McGregor, McTominay and McGinn they all can

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McTominay most likely being out means we can try others out. 

Let's see what Jack and Fleck can do in these two games. I wouldn't bother with McLean and would drop McGregor to the bench.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bazmidd said:

Olly Burke actually has a decent work rate, he worked his socks off at Celtic, he certainly isn't a lazy player. At right wing back he only has to run up and down the line doesn't take an awful lot game intelligence. Positional sense would need work defensively but where is this evidence he doesn't have the ability to learn, perhaps he quite simply just isn't suited to playing up front, which is so far definitely the case. To get the best from Olly Burkes attributes he needs space to run into, he has to be facing the play and using his power and pace to go past people from wide positions. 

You make a good case to be fair. :ok:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have Ryan Jack's performances been that good in Europe? IF they have there's no reason why he should be given a chance at DM. I see MCGinn and MCTominey more as box to box midfielders. Ryan Jack can sit and protect the back four. 

However the only evidence i have of Jack playing great in Europe is the word of rangers fans on here and not the reasonable ones, the zoomers. Anyone else watched Rangers is Europe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

with Mctominay out let’s try...

jack fleck

mcginn 

i still Christie could be utilised out wide as an alternative to Fraser. 

I'd rather keep Fraser and leave Forrest out with Christie taking his place 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 11:12 AM, AndyDD said:

Mcgregor, Forrest and Christie were excellent last night. 

Jack also had a good showing, maybe not quite as eye catching as the Celtic three. 

Four squad members playing important roles in outstanding results has to be heartening. It goes some way, you would hope, in dispelling the idea that these guys only look good in domestic football because of the poverty of opposition. 

Lazio and Porto. 

Winning in Rome is especially good. 

Brown had a great game as well. He'd be so handy for us at the moment. Ce'st la vie. 

Jack impressed me the most of all the Scottish players. 

He is a leader, snaps into tackles, sets the tone around him and breaks play up really well. Is also generally pretty good on the ball as well. 

We clearly have more celebrated and talented players in the squad but we need someone to do the dirty work and make us harder to play through. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Have Ryan Jack's performances been that good in Europe? IF they have there's no reason why he should be given a chance at DM. I see MCGinn and MCTominey more as box to box midfielders. Ryan Jack can sit and protect the back four. 

However the only evidence i have of Jack playing great in Europe is the word of rangers fans on here and not the reasonable ones, the zoomers. Anyone else watched Rangers is Europe?

I'm no rangers fan. He is exactly the type of player we lack just now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...