Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 61 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Ideally we shouldn't be calling up players from the Championship but which other Scottish strikers scoring regularly at the moment?  I can think of Fraser Hornby scoring a few on loan in Belgium but other than that...

58 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Hornby has scored two goals in seven games and they were both against one of the worst teams in the league 

Hornby plays for our under 21s and plays in a decent league, definitely a league way above our own championship. Hornby before shankland IMO.

11 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Hornby plays for our under 21s and plays in a decent league, definitely a league way above our own championship. Hornby before shankland IMO.

There's a piece on BBC's Scottish football page (source: The National) today saying that Shankland may start in our next game, away to Russia! 😂😂😂

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50280377

35 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I have in no way ever suggested Shankland should even be in the squad.

i was just pointing out that Hornby was not performing as well as some would suggest on here.  

14 hours ago, noctonjock said:

Going by that thinking then Shankland shouldn't get called up either.  He scores against lesser teams than you have mentioned 

Should stick with the tried and tested method of calling up boys from the English leagues on £30K a week that aren’t really to bothered about playing for Scotland. 👍

3 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

Should stick with the tried and tested method of calling up boys from the English leagues on £30K a week that aren’t really to bothered about playing for Scotland. 👍

I agree with what you're saying I was actually replying to somebody about Ryan Jack . The poster said you can't judge a players ability against the likes of St Johnstone or St Mirren . I would rather have players like Shankland who actually want to play for us 

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I have in no way ever suggested Shankland should even be in the squad.

i was just pointing out that Hornby was not performing as well as some would suggest on here.  

You're absolutely correct. Hornby is a good prospect but is hardly setting the world alight. I know we need to bring more youth in but I think it's damaging and counter productive if they're not ready.

7 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

You're absolutely correct. Hornby is a good prospect but is hardly setting the world alight. I know we need to bring more youth in but I think it's damaging and counter productive if they're not ready.

And yet 7 people want to make a player who is playing his first season as a regular with his club (McTominay) captain over a European Cup winner (Robertson).

Crazy.

Also, we need to remember that Belgium are number one country in the world, and they produce word class players, so I'm guessing their top league is pretty decent. I'm delighted that Hornby is playing (and starting) in the Belgium top league, as he'll learn more in that league than playing for the Everton u23s, the English Championship or the SPL.

7 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Also, we need to remember that Belgium are number one country in the world, and they produce word class players, so I'm guessing their top league is pretty decent. I'm delighted that Hornby is playing (and starting) in the Belgium top league, as he'll learn more in that league than playing for the Everton u23s, the English Championship or the SPL.

The UEFA coefficients have them as the 8th.est league in Europe. Scotland is 19th. 

Interestingly though, in researching this I found the current season coefficient rankings and Scotland is 4th! https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/seasoncountry/#/yr/2020

2 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

The UEFA coefficients have them as the 8th.est league in Europe. Scotland is 19th. 

Interestingly though, in researching this I found the current season coefficient rankings and Scotland is 4th! https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/seasoncountry/#/yr/2020

Baffling.

Even more so that I can't even be bothered watching highlights of the SPL anymore. 

15 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Baffling.

Even more so that I can't even be bothered watching highlights of the SPL anymore. 

Well the numbers do add up for this season at least. Half of our eligible teams are still in Europe and have only lost 2 of their combined 22 matches so far. 

1 minute ago, mrniaboc said:

Well the numbers do add up for this season at least. Half of our eligible teams are still in Europe and have only lost 2 of their combined 22 matches so far. 

It just shows how (some) statistics mean very little.

Those stats show that the Old Firm are good for Scottish football, but... not really.

Send the Old Firm to opposite sides of Ireland, increase the size of the SPL and introduce a homegrown rule and you'll see standards rise.

Also, as far as the UEFA coefficients go, the lower we are, the better. The less teams we have in European competitions, the better, as none of them can get past the qualifying (Apart from the OF), which is embarrassing.

1 minute ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Also, as far as the UEFA coefficients go, the lower we are, the better. The less teams we have in European competitions, the better, as none of them can get past the qualifying (Apart from the OF), which is embarrassing.

Not sure I follow this argument. You want our teams to perform worse because they are performing badly? 

Just now, mrniaboc said:

Not sure I follow this argument. You want our teams to perform worse because they are performing badly? 

That isn't possible.

If you took out the Old Firm, the SPL would be amongst the worst performing leagues, meaning we'd probably have less teams in European competitions, and that would definitely be a good thing.

5 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

That isn't possible.

If you took out the Old Firm, the SPL would be amongst the worst performing leagues, meaning we'd probably have less teams in European competitions, and that would definitely be a good thing.

Didn't you LITERALLY just suggest getting rid of the old firm to make standards rise hahaha? 

8 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Didn't you LITERALLY just suggest getting rid of the old firm to make standards rise hahaha? 

Yes. Eventually the standards will rise, as it'll becoming a more competitive league, along with more young Scottish players getting game time as well as winning trophies, etc.

I'm thinking big picture.

Yesterday rather underlined that Hickey is very much still a prospect, and not by any means ready to be playing first team international football. 

Badly caught out on several occasions for Hearts. 

We need to be patient with young prospects like him. 

2 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I have to agree with you there. 

:ok:

People might say "Oh, but the loss of Old Firm fans will signal the doom of Scottish Football!", but it won't. Fans of teams who stopped attending matches, as the SPL is as predictable as the past, will begin to show. Also, if teams are more liable to win trophies then that will surely bring more fans through the turnstyles.

Personally, my local team is in the SPL, not only don't I attend matches anymore, I don't even watch highlights. Scottish football is corrupt and entirely pointless.

I have no idea what impact the old firm leaving would have, for good or for ill. 

It's never going to happen, though, and it's a honkin topic of discussion that I'd happily never see discussed again. By all means get it into it's own thread, but this is about Scottish players in action this season. 

On that basis, given the squad is likely getting announced, what, tomorrow, is Naismith likely getting back in, having come through large part of the second half yesterday? Griffiths apparently getting back in during the game against Motherwell for Celtic but likely too soon for him again? 

Suppose can always call him in afterwards if he does indeed play. 

11 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

It's never going to happen, though, and it's a honkin topic of discussion that I'd happily never see discussed again.

Yeah. A competitive league, who wants that?

You could slip into a coma, wake up a minute after the last match of the SPL season, and still you'd know who won the league.

That's not sport.

29 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Removing about 80% of the customers does not sound like a good idea. 

Short term it would be a shock however the Edinburgh clubs, and Aberdeens attendances would increase along with other clubs when the competitiveness comes back into the league. I would also see the spl as a feeder to the old firm