Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 53 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

Big win for Celtic tonight. Thought Christie was poor up until he scored Celtics first but fair play he rifled that shot in. He did well with the corner as well. He's turning into a cracking player, hopefully we can get him to perform better in a Scotland shirt as he's obviously got ability. 

McGregor and forrest were quite poor, thought brown played well but obviously he's retired so it doesn't matter with him.

Edited by mccaughey85

Our game gets derided and rightfully so at times, but Rangers and Celtic are, at the very least, still competitive against some big clubs in Europe.

Rangers u19s also put Young Boys out of Europe yesterday. 

Edited by SWMM82

43 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

Our game gets derided and rightfully so at times, but Rangers and Celtic are, at the very least, still competitive against some big clubs in Europe.

Rangers u19s also put Young Boys out of Europe yesterday. 

That young boys youth team had some fantastic results in the champions League youth side last year. 4 points against Valencia and pumped Juventus.

We drew 2 each with YB to go through on away goals but we out played them and should've won it outright. Mebude has the potential to be a great player.

Compared to the shambles our academy was in even just 4/5 years ago, this was a great result and a strong indictment of the the changes we have made and the progress we continue to make. The problem is can they make the step up and get into the first team.

I think McCrorie (GK), Stephen Kelly, Dapo Mebude, Josh McPake, Kai Kennedy, Leon King can all eventually become first team regulars. There is also Middleton and Hastie who we signed and are out on loan, both look to have good potential as well.

There seems to be quite a few talented youth players coming through in Scotland right now. I really think the performance schools are starting to pay dividend.

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

1 hour ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I think McCrorie (GK), Stephen Kelly, Dapo Mebude, Josh McPake, Kai Kennedy, Leon King can all eventually become first team regulars. There is also Middleton and Hastie who we signed and are out on loan, both look to have good potential as well.

There seems to be quite a few talented youth players coming through in Scotland right now. I really think the performance schools are starting to pay dividend.

That's the thing, though, the SFA have to double-down on their Performance Schools agenda and put play a homegrown rule into Scottish football. 

Over the past couple of months I've watched a lot of Scotland at U17/19/21 level. I've actually enjoyed watching the under 17s and 19s more than I have the senior team. These kids HAVE to be encouraged to stay with their Scottish clubs and the only way to do that is to introduce a homegrown rule and show them that they will get a chance to break into the full team.

On 10/23/2019 at 10:01 PM, aaid said:

On the first part no, its not the same, there are players surplus to requirements they're not overly fussed about whether or not they play for their loan clubs or not.  For example, I doubt they're too bothered about how Baba Rahman, who's in the last year of a five year contract and is on loan at Real Mallorca is doing.

For the young players its all about development.   

Personally, I don't think that Gilmour will go out on loan in January, but if he does it will be encouraging because he's ahead of schedule.   If he doesn't go out on loan in the summer, I'll be amazed and the choice of club he goes to will be very telling as to where he stands at that point.

The key thing is, Gilmour is doing very well at Chelsea, is some respects he's ahead of where he should expect to be, he also seems to have the correct attitude which is probably what gives him the best chance of succeeding.   He *will* go out on loan and *when* that happens Scotland fans shouldn't get their knickers in a twist and somehow think that he's out of the picture at Chelsea because that's not the case.  This is how Chelsea bring their players on, its a strategy they've had since Roman took over and its now starting to bear fruit.

Agreed.

I think we're all on the same page here (I would hope). I want the lad to get game time for Chelsea for the remainder of the year, if not, I'd like to see him go out on loan. I don't really mind where he goes, I don't think it really matters all that much, as long as he's starting and finishing matches.

Kids like Hornby and Hastie and Hamilton are out on loan, some are having a better time than others, but at the end of the day they're getting games. Hopefully they return to their parent clubs as better players and more rounded people. Hamilton got sent off a couple days ago (southend lost 1:7!!) but he'll soon be earning from Sol Campbell.

Personally thought the Celtic game was greatly encouraging. 

The Celtic midfield were mostly able to retain and move the ball at speed under intense pressure from the opponent in what was a really frantic, combative game. Was a really good watch at times as a football match, to boot. Mcgregor, who has been off form for a while now, was much more like it, spreading it nicely at times and working some neat interchanges. Involved in the equaliser, too. Christie is one hell of an athlete, isn't it? 

As for the Rangers game, Jack had a really positive start and then as soon as he got booked on the edge of the box seemed to lose composure, giving the ball away cheaply for the Porto goal and being a tad lucky none of the other fouls he gave away were punished with a second card. Disciplined second half, though, before being subbed late on. 

Two excellent results in general and, with Tierney and McTominay by all accounts having good games for their clubs in Europe, a decent night all in all. 

The Guardian's '10 things to look out for in the EPL this weekend' includes one on whether Gilmour will be the next youngster to break through at Chelsea https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/25/premier-league-10-things-to-look-out-for-this-weekend

Also nice to note a couple of comments below the line from Chelsea fans about him, 'a baby Fabregas'?

9 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Bit late but saw some highlights of QPR-Reading and Kelly made two good saves from one on ones.

QPR are on a nice little run currently and aren't conceding too many so I'd give him starts next month and see if he can make the number 1 spot his own.

^?^ 

QPR concede quite a lot. 

These are their last five results:

QPR 2 Reading 2

Hull 2 QPR 3

QPR 4 Blackburn 2

Cardiff 3 QPR 0

QPR 0 WBA 2

58 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Assist for KT but got ragdolled for the first goal.

To be fair to him Edwards was a massive handful all night, and KT did a good job of stifling him the majority of the time. Kolasinac would have been in more trouble than he was with the that Eastern European gang recently! 

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

^?^ 

QPR concede quite a lot. 

These are their last five results:

QPR 2 Reading 2

Hull 2 QPR 3

QPR 4 Blackburn 2

Cardiff 3 QPR 0

QPR 0 WBA 2

Liam Kelly is not good enough for international football. If he ends up our first choice, our goalkeeping situation is sorrier than I first thought!

43 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I know we are desperate for a goalie and love persuading players to play for us but Angus Gunn looks poor tonight v Leicester.

3-0 down in under 20 mins and he’s a bit of a shambles. 

It's mental that Gunn plays and they let Forster leave on loan. Great for Celtic. 

45 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I know we are desperate for a goalie and love persuading players to play for us but Angus Gunn looks poor tonight v Leicester.

3-0 down in under 20 mins and he’s a bit of a shambles. 

Now that he’s become pish he’ll probably change his mind and decide to play for Scotland.