Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 52 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Gilmour on the bench again tonight for Chelsea at Ajax.

Will be interesting to see if he gets a loan move in January

No danger when he’s around their first team squad and they have a transfer ban.

He should however be in our squad for the Cyprus game, after the under 21s have had their qualifier 

Billy Gilmour will not be going out on loan: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7578867/amp/Chelsea-news-Starlet-Billy-Gilmour-reveals-Frank-Lampard-REFUSED-request-loan.html

I'm glad Gilmour's involved tonight. It'll give him a good barometer on how real teams develop their players.

It'll put Celtic's youth policy into perspective. (And Scottish football's youth policy in general)

36 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Billy Gilmour will not be going out on loan: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7578867/amp/Chelsea-news-Starlet-Billy-Gilmour-reveals-Frank-Lampard-REFUSED-request-loan.html

I'm glad Gilmour's involved tonight. It'll give him a good barometer on how real teams develop their players.

It'll put Celtic's youth policy into perspective. (And Scottish football's youth policy in general)

That was in the summer champ, might be different come January. 

46 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

No danger when he’s around their first team squad and they have a transfer ban.

He should however be in our squad for the Cyprus game, after the under 21s have had their qualifier 

At the last count Chelsea had 27 players out on loan regardless of the transfer ban.  A chunk of these are surplus to requirements but most are young players on loan for their development.  These include Ethan Ampadu who's a year older than Gilmour and has already played 11 times for Wales.

The reason that he didn't go on loan in the summer is most likely because they didn't think he was ready for it, that might change come January.   He's at least six months ahead of where I thought he'd be in his progression,  I though he might see the bench in the 3rd round of the cup depending on who we get and then loaned out in the summer.

15 minutes ago, aaid said:

At the last count Chelsea had 27 players out on loan regardless of the transfer ban.  A chunk of these are surplus to requirements but most are young players on loan for their development.  These include Ethan Ampadu who's a year older than Gilmour and has already played 11 times for Wales.

The reason that he didn't go on loan in the summer is most likely because they didn't think he was ready for it, that might change come January.   He's at least six months ahead of where I thought he'd be in his progression,  I though he might see the bench in the 3rd round of the cup depending on who we get and then loaned out in the summer.

Gilmours probably already played as many minutes for Chelsea as Ampadu.

Ampadu’s caps say more about other countries ideas about blooding youngsters. 

20 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Gilmours probably already played as many minutes for Chelsea as Ampadu.

Ampadu’s caps say more about other countries ideas about blooding youngsters. 

Yes - different players, different positions - but Ampadu is currently ahead of Gilmour.  

Ampadu was more physically developed at an early age which probably helped, that and him being in the Exeter first team at 15.

Ampadu's made 12 appearances so far for Chelsea so Gilmour's got a bit of catching up to do. 

Edited by aaid

1 minute ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Nah, I really doubt it, slugger.

Lampard clearly rates Gilmour.

I'm sure he does.  You might have noticed a couple of things. Firstly that Chelsea send their young players out on loan as a matter of course, secondly, they also change their managers fairly frequently.  As a consequence, while the first team manager, is involved in this, he doesn't have the final say.

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

I'm sure he does.  You might have noticed a couple of things. Firstly that Chelsea send their young players out on loan as a matter of course, secondly, they also change their managers fairly frequently.  As a consequence, while the first team manager, is involved in this, he doesn't have the final say.

Yeah, not this season they don't, thanks to the transfer ban. 

6 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Because they have 27 players that they feel would benefit from playing first team football.

If Gilmour was one of them, it would be 28.

Well that's actually not true because some of them are former first teamers who are now surplus to requirements, the bulk are young players out on loan as part of their development.  Gilmour didn't go out on loan in the summer because he wasn't ready at that point, he might well be ready for a loan move in January although I'd expect him to certainly go on a season long loan next season.

Chelsea bring promising young players into the first team set up early to get a taste, they then go out on loan.   The only player I can think of in the last decade or so that hasn't taken that path is Callum Hudson-Odoi and there were particular circumstances over him last season otherwise I suspect he would've gone on loan as well.  

16 minutes ago, aaid said:

Well that's actually not true because some of them are former first teamers who are now surplus to requirements, the bulk are young players out on loan as part of their development.  Gilmour didn't go out on loan in the summer because he wasn't ready at that point, he might well be ready for a loan move in January although I'd expect him to certainly go on a season long loan next season.

Chelsea bring promising young players into the first team set up early to get a taste, they then go out on loan.   The only player I can think of in the last decade or so that hasn't taken that path is Callum Hudson-Odoi and there were particular circumstances over him last season otherwise I suspect he would've gone on loan as well.  

Isn't that what just said? ;)

They have a rather large pool of players and they can only play as certain amount per match, so instead of letting the fringe players either rot on the bench or turn out for the u23s they allow the players go away on loan to get first team minutes.

I don't think Gilmour will be sent out on loan, regardless of who else Chelsea have out on loan.

2 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Isn't that what just said? ;)

They have a rather large pool of players and they can only play as certain amount per match, so instead of letting the fringe players either rot on the bench or turn out for the u23s they allow the players go away on loan to get first team minutes.

I don't think Gilmour will be sent out on loan, regardless of who else Chelsea have out on loan.

On the first part no, its not the same, there are players surplus to requirements they're not overly fussed about whether or not they play for their loan clubs or not.  For example, I doubt they're too bothered about how Baba Rahman, who's in the last year of a five year contract and is on loan at Real Mallorca is doing.

For the young players its all about development.   

Personally, I don't think that Gilmour will go out on loan in January, but if he does it will be encouraging because he's ahead of schedule.   If he doesn't go out on loan in the summer, I'll be amazed and the choice of club he goes to will be very telling as to where he stands at that point.

The key thing is, Gilmour is doing very well at Chelsea, is some respects he's ahead of where he should expect to be, he also seems to have the correct attitude which is probably what gives him the best chance of succeeding.   He *will* go out on loan and *when* that happens Scotland fans shouldn't get their knickers in a twist and somehow think that he's out of the picture at Chelsea because that's not the case.  This is how Chelsea bring their players on, its a strategy they've had since Roman took over and its now starting to bear fruit.

15 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Gilmour came through at Rangers, did he not? Not sure what the comparison with Celtic's youth policy means here. 

12 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Goal and second man of the match in three games for holding  midfielder Graeme Shinnie.

Chris Martin assist

Given our dire need for holding midfielders and strikers, I'd genuinely consider calling them both up.