Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 49 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

5 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Archie Mair looks very promising in addition to McRorie and Doohan. I think we’ll be just fine. 

These guys have yet to establish themselves at a decent enough level to be anywhere near a call up. Let’s hope they do. 

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Mair does look to have potential.

McCrorie & Doohan are playing regularly and have about 50 games experience in the same league as Lawrence Shankland so they are probably close to a call up in what has now became a weak position for us.

Kelly should be in the next squad and probably is close to #1 now.

Shankland getting a call up despite playing in the Scottish championship was a desperate measure and was based on him being the best striker in that league by a mile. Clarke isn’t going to start flooding the squad with championship players just because Shankland did reasonably well against San Marino. 

I’m fairly sure Marshall, McLaughlin and possibly Kelly will be our keepers until McCrorie and Doohan are at least playing in the Scottish Premiership.

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Shankland getting a call up despite playing in the Scottish championship was a desperate measure and was based on him being the best striker in that league by a mile. Clarke isn’t going to start flooding the squad with championship players just because Shankland did reasonably well against San Marino. 

I’m fairly sure Marshall, McLaughlin and possibly Kelly will be our keepers until McCrorie and Doohan are at least playing in the Scottish Premiership.

Marshall being 34 going on 35 & the other keepers barring Kelly being in England’s league 1 and also both a lot older mean those two young lads probably aren’t far away. 

Would be good for them to get an SPL loan next season. 

5 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

A world class player who's not international class must be some sort of first.

With Liverpool, because they have class players in the middle of the part, it affords him the chance to get forward and he knows that wherever he is, he can receive the ball and he can trust the players who he passes to.

It's not complicated.

And course he's international class. Put prime Roberto Carlos or Maldini in this Scofland team and they'd look average. Fullbacks don't run matches.

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

6 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Of course they haven’t, that’s not the point.

What is your point then?

There have been lots of promising young keepers that don’t reach the level we al hope they do. 

My point is we should wait until these guys establish themselves at a decent level before assuming they’ll be good enough for Scotland. 

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Robertson's stats were brilliant again today, it's a pity we can't work out how to get the best of him in a Scotland top.

A world class player who's not international class must be some sort of first.

What exactly does international class mean anyway? Internationalists who play for San Marino are international class aren’t they? 

Over half, in fact I’d say around 3 quarters of all international teams are utter pish so most international players aren’t particularly good.

Robertson is just one of a long list of Scottish players who are very successful at club level and always seem to under perform for Scotland. Hopefully he’ll come good but only time will tell. 

11 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

What is your point then?

There have been lots of promising young keepers that don’t reach the level we al hope they do. 

My point is we should wait until these guys establish themselves at a decent level before assuming they’ll be good enough for Scotland. 

My point is stop worrying. 

7 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Rangers not even bothering with their "One eligible Scot" policy anymore.

Don't fret, though, the SFA will spring into action and introduce a cap on homegrown players (the same as dozens of countries have done) in thirty years...

The number of Scots starting at Celtic is dropping as well. It's a worry as the fact they were winning the championship with a majority of Scots was a rare positive.

Are there any stats on how many Scots are starting at each club?

1 hour ago, SkyBlueScot said:

The number of Scots starting at Celtic is dropping as well. It's a worry as the fact they were winning the championship with a majority of Scots was a rare positive.

Totally. And apparently Michael Johnston has been injured for double the amount of time that was expected.

You could check sofascore.com. it has a lot of stats, etc, in that site.

2 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

That's a bit unfair, Celtic have been playing plenty of Scots in the last four or five years, it's not their duty to play Scottish players. Just because Celtic have played a few games with three Scots means very little.

McGregor, Christie and brown are key parts of their team. If you expect more than that then sorry that's life in club football. Unless you hoover up all the Scottish takent you will never end up with  an all Scottish football team.

5 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

That's a bit unfair, Celtic have been playing plenty of Scots in the last four or five years, it's not their duty to play Scottish players. Just because Celtic have played a few games with three Scots means very little.

McGregor, Christie and brown are key parts of their team. If you expect more than that then sorry that's life in club football. Unless you hoover up all the Scottish takent you will never end up with  an all Scottish football team.

Don't think it's unfair, just a fact isn't it? It may be temporary but my point is that Celtic have offered some positivity in the last few years by basing their team on Scots. I know it's not their duty, same for all the rest, but it's the responsibility of the game to address this. You may point to the fact that Johnston's injured, Henderson's on loan and they've sold Tierney which is fair but their replacements aren't Scots (Taylor's not involved). I don't expect an all Scottish team but I'd be hoping for more youth players coming through.

Rangers may win the league this season and do it with just 1 or 2 regularly in their starting line-up. Just don't think that's great for the national team which is why we are here isn't it?

10 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Don't think it's unfair, just a fact isn't it? It may be temporary but my point is that Celtic have offered some positivity in the last few years by basing their team on Scots. I know it's not their duty, same for all the rest, but it's the responsibility of the game to address this. You may point to the fact that Johnston's injured, Henderson's on loan and they've sold Tierney which is fair but their replacements aren't Scots (Taylor's not involved). I don't expect an all Scottish team but I'd be hoping for more youth players coming through.

Rangers may win the league this season and do it with just 1 or 2 regularly in their starting line-up. Just don't think that's great for the national team which is why we are here isn't it?

Perhaps so, but there are furious complaints when promising Scottish talents from other SPFL sides sign for the Old Firm. I’m delighted when a team from a larger league signs one of their Scottish players. 

19 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Well as you said Johnston's injured, they tried to sign Turnbull but that fell through. They sold Tierney and we have all been crying out for Tierney to go test himself at a higher level anyways. They bought Taylor as well and I reckon given time he might become a regular starter. Plus Griffith's would be playing more if it wasn't for his injuries and mental problems.

I used to slag Celtic for not playing many Scots back in the noughties but credit where credit is due, they have played at least 5 in their teams most weeks for the last 5 years or so. Considering the fact they could easily hoover up talent from abroad and play them instead shows that they have given some Scots players a chance. 

You look at any champions from across Europe and most of their team is foreign. It's just how the game is now.