Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 48 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

I think Hickey’s time will come within about 18 months. For the play offs we need to stop shipping goals. I’d play Ross McRorie at right back, where he’s been playing for the 21s. We’d be better defensively and offensively from set pieces and he has bags of pace. Tierney to stiffen up the midfield, freeing McGinn to get us goals.

Guest ElChris04

Like I said earlier, Hickey is going to be a top top player one day imo. 

here’s how I’d line up against Cyprus 

Hickey-Porteous-Tierney-Robertson 

McTominay-McGinn

Forrest-Christie-Johnston

Griffiths ( Hornby if Griff still isn’t ready ) 

if were calling up some of the young boys, I’m not calling them up unless there getting started from the get go. Fraser has been underwhelming at club level and seems to want out of Bournemouth, Mikey was doing brilliant before his hip injury, he gets his first call up and Debut for Scotland against Cyprus, as does Hickey who for me will be our golden ticket to solving the right back position, Porteous for me is a quality young player who for me has the potential to be the best Scottish Centre back, fast,tall, strong. He’s got everything at 20 and next to KT I think it’s the partnership that will take us to that level we’re missing defensively. And if griff still isn’t ready come the next set of games, then it’s Hornby who comes into the team to show his quality. 

like I said, I would not call up anyone from the U21’s or U19’s to let them Rot on the bench, these boys are clearly good enough and ready to show there quality. 

3 hours ago, wee-toon-red said:

McRorie can’t get a game for Portsmouth and folk seriously want him in the Scotland team/squad? Eh?

Far too soon for McCrorie to be considered for the full squad in my opinion. I haven’t seen many people saying he should be called up though.

Things can change quickly in football though.  Who knows what will happen between now and March or next September?

49 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

It won’t be long till Robby McCrorie is worth a call up.

Hopefully he’s the successor to Allan McGregor. 

McGregor will be retiring fairly soon and Wes Foderingham isn’t up to much so hopefully McCrorie will go back Rangers and get in the team in the next couple of years. 

6 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

McGregor will be retiring fairly soon and Wes Foderingham isn’t up to much so hopefully McCrorie will go back Rangers and get in the team in the next couple of years. 

McGregor will play a few years yet. He’s by far our best keeper so here’s hoping he can be prised out of international retirement till McCrorie/Doohan are through and ready as our current keeper pool is very pish

3 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

McGregor will play a few years yet. He’s by far our best keeper so here’s hoping he can be prised out of international retirement till McCrorie/Doohan are through and ready as our current keeper pool is very pish

Can’t see it to be honest. Being a keeper I think he must be starting to feel his age based on the fact he retired from international duty so I doubt he’ll come back. 

He’ll be 38 early next year and I can’t see him lasting any more than one more season. Plenty of keepers have played into their 40s of course and the Rangers keeper tends to be quieter than most goalkeepers in Scotland so maybe he will continue beyond next season but I doubt it. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

Haven’t seen much of him but with any luck he’ll be good enough.

How old is he?

21 years old and played about 40 1st team games for Ayr. He's a smashing big keeper on loan from Celtic so no doubt the boys chances are limited there. 

1 minute ago, Rohan said:

21 years old and played about 40 1st team games for Ayr. He's a smashing big keeper on loan from Celtic so no doubt the boys chances are limited there. 

If he’s good enough he’ll find his level. Whether that’s with Celtic or not who knows? 

For the first time in my time as a Scotland supporter goalkeeper is a bit of a problem for us so hopefully Doohan and McCrorie will come good. 

Just now, Toepoke said:

Have you forgotten Rab Douglas in Amsterdam?

How do you know I’m not too young to remember that? 😂

Nah fair point but we’re verging on a crisis. Marshall isn’t terrible but he’s not exactly young. If he retires from international football soon we could well be in deep shite. None of the other keepers in our squad fill me with any confidence. 

4 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

How do you know I’m not too young to remember that? 😂

Nah fair point but we’re verging on a crisis. Marshall isn’t terrible but he’s not exactly young. If he retires from international football soon we could well be in deep shite. None of the other keepers in our squad fill me with any confidence. 

Archie Mair looks very promising in addition to McRorie and Doohan. I think we’ll be just fine. 

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Archie Mair looks very promising in addition to McRorie and Doohan. I think we’ll be just fine. 

Mair does look to have potential.

McCrorie & Doohan are playing regularly and have about 50 games experience in the same league as Lawrence Shankland so they are probably close to a call up in what has now became a weak position for us.

Kelly should be in the next squad and probably is close to #1 now.

10 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Just realised my scores app is showing a couple of duplicate results for some reason. Even so, cementing his place

I'd wait until he's had ten games in a row before going that far but it is good that he is starting to get a look in.

From a brief skim of one QPR board they had mixed feelings about how Kelly has played so far but they seem willing for Kelly to be given a run of games to prove himself. The other keeper, Lumley, has made a number of big errors this season which led to him being dropped. The QPR fans also complain (like us) that their central defence is very poor, so their goalie will see a lot of action.