Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 183 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

Burkes not even a striker, russell is arguably not a striker either. So your two short. 

They have played as strikers for us. And in any case we only play one striker up front anyway. Both of them I'd take over Adams - yet to score at international level and floundering in the EPL.

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

They have played as strikers for us. And in any case we only play one striker up front anyway. Both of them I'd take over Adams - yet to score at international level and floundering in the EPL.

They played because we are so short on guys like Adams that we had no choice, that's the reality of our striking options. We turn to guys like Philips and burke due to lack of strikers who score goals at a respectable level. Adams hasn't played at international level so I don't understand how he could of scored. Youth internationals are not international level. Adams has proved his worth at a respectable level. If he was Scottish you would be more than happy for him to be in the squad. Personally I don't want him to play for us but I am able to accept that he would defo be good enough for our squad if he chose to represent us. 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

They played because we are so short on guys like Adams that we had no choice, that's the reality of our striking options. We turn to guys like Philips and burke due to lack of strikers who score goals at a respectable level. Adams hasn't played at international level so I don't understand how he could of scored. Youth internationals are not international level. Adams has proved his worth at a respectable level. If he was Scottish you would be more than happy for him to be in the squad. Personally I don't want him to play for us but I am able to accept that he would defo be good enough for our squad if he chose to represent us. 

And I disagree.

Would you say Chris Martin was good enough for us?

Chris Martin is much maligned by Scotland fans but actually his career followed a similar trajectory to Adams, has a far better strike rate than Adams at club level and managed three goals for Scotland in 17 games but Martin is deemed a flop for us. What do you see in Adams that earmarkls him as better in anyway - bear in mind here that there are serious question marks about his heart being in the task and certainly seems to have very little (if any) desire to play for us.

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And I disagree.

Would you say Chris Martin was good enough for us?

Yes he was easily good enough to get in our squads. That's obvious imo. Pretty much all our strikers barring maybe Miller and Griffiths have been deemed as flops. 

Edited by mccaughey85

Also, in addition, if you pardon the pun, this has sweet Fanny Adams to do with him being English. There have been many English-born players who have played for us and they have had my full support. It has far more to do with the fact that all evidence so far demonstrates he does not want to play for us and so I do not want players like that pulling on a Scotland jersey.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Alsi, in addition, if you pardon the pun, this has sweet Fanny Adams to do with him being English. There have been many English-born players who have played for us and they have had my full support. It has far more to do with the fact that all evidence so far demonstrates he does not want to play for us and so I do not want players like that pulling on a Scotland jersey.

If there was a Scottish 23 year old who had scored 22 goals in the English championship this season you wouldn't want that player in our squad? 

Edited by mccaughey85

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

If there was a Scottish 23 year old who was currently 3rd in the English championship scoring chart you wouldn't want that player in our squad? 

Yes I would but that is presuming he'd want to play for us which is pretty much a given.

If a player's heart is not in the job you have perhaps 50% of a player. If you don't get/understand/accept that then I am at a loss.

38 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes if the player warranted it and showed the promise.

Sorry but you have to take into consideration a player plays at, if managers thought like you we would have Highland league players playing for Scotland and non league players playing for England. Do you think Clarke would ever consider a Highland league player? 

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes I would but that is presuming he'd want to play for us which is pretty much a given.

If a player's heart is not in the job you have perhaps 50% of a player. If you don't get/understand/accept that then I am at a loss.

Thats not what we are discussing lol. 

Sorry but you have to take into consideration a player plays at, if managers thought like you we would have Highland league players playing for Scotland and non league players playing for England. Do you think Clarke would ever consider a Highland league player? 

Where did I say Highland League players? Twisting words AGAIN.

Thats not what we are discussing lol. 

Yes it is actually. We are discussing the merits of Che Adams playing for us. And he has already displayed at least once a non-interest so his heart is not in it. Leave well alone when that is the case. Thank you very much and lets move on to our next potential Scotland striker. 👍

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Where did I say Highland League players? Twisting words AGAIN.

Well you said you would be happy to consider Scottish league 1 and 2 players, do you think Clarke would ever consider players at that level and why? 

What is your limit regarding levels for Scotland, do you draw the line at league 2?

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes it is actually. We are discussing the merits of Che Adams playing for us. And he has already displayed at least once a non-interest so his heart is not in it. Leave well alone when that is the case. Thank you very much and lets move on to our next potential Scotland striker. 👍

No we are not, all my point has been is that he's easily good enough ability wise for our squad given our lack of depth. 

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

He's not keen?? Bloody hell I'm not keen - 26 games in the EPL and one goal. We have midfielders in that league with a far better strike rate.

:lol: Fair enough.

To be fair though I wasn't suggesting we pick him, even if he was "keen".

Only a stats site but Tom McIntyre was excellent again tonight despite the defeat according to who scored.com. Interesting to see if he moves in the summer when ever that is.

Again only a stats site but Jack Grimmer is a bang average League 1 player, in fact Ross McCrorie is rated higher than him.

If results go our way then the likes of Angus Gunn and Che Adams will probably become more Scottish magically. Let’s stick with guys like McCrorie & Gilmour instead though and build our team around young Scottish players who want to play for Scotland. 

23 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Just looked up the facts there on Alexander.

He was 30 when he made his debut against Nigeria back in 2002. Ended up with 40 caps by the time he was last called up in 2009. It helped that he could play right or left back and defensive midfield. Shame he never got the chance to take one of his famous penalties for us.

Also without doubt one of the proudest guys to have played for Scotland this century and a first rate professional too.

Aye, I remember when he first came in, I'm sure he was playing with Preston at the time and wondering why the fuck he was there, and I'm pretty sure he had a few ropey games.......like the majority did back then, but he turned out to be a great player for us and always wore his heart on his sleeve.

21 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

hes pish and english no thanks

2 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Aye, I remember when he first came in, I'm sure he was playing with Preston at the time and wondering why the fuck he was there, and I'm pretty sure he had a few ropey games.......like the majority did back then, but he turned out to be a great player for us and always wore his heart on his sleeve.

hes pish and english no thanks

Have you actually read what I wrote, I have no desire for Adams to be called up, I do however accept that if he was Scottish he would be in our squads, that's the reality of our striker situation. I also think if he decides to play for us Clarke or whatever manager is next will probably select him, same goes for karlan grant. That's just reality, probably same with Angus gunn and the "hes English brigade" on here won't make any impact on these decisions.