Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 182 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

It's a great story Wycombe being in championship but reality is they'll do well to finish anything other than rock bottom and their defensive record won't be pretty.

Would be massively surprised if Grimmer got ahead of Liam Palmer or Paterson. Only saw highlights but looked like Oxford wide players skinned him a few times.

I haven't seen enough of Grimmer but lets not dismiss people simply because they are playing in the lower leagues.  I know its not normally the case there but there are some good players.   I think particularly of Graham Alexander, spent most of his career in the lower English leagues and only made his debut with us when he was in his 30s(?) but he did a very decent job.  Similarly after the Boy Wonder / the next Wayne Rooney aka John Fleck left Rangers he spent a long time kicking round the lower leagues of England before getting international recongition.

36 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Malky MacKay asked him, ask did McLeish later on (think he met him at the same time he met McTormany) and Clarke has said he has had a word with him.... and all 3 have come back saying he is keeping his options open.... if Clarke has had the same response the other two have had over the previous two years, think that answers that question.

That suggests he's not that keen, but it isn't an unequivocal "no thanks".

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The problem I have playing Tierney left midfield is that, with Robertson presumably at left-back both players have a natural attacking mindset. I can see a yawning gap on the left flank should we get caught on the counter-attack with both AWOL trying to set up an attack. They just do not compliment one another in those roles.

I don’t think that can be said until it is tried. Experienced players such as these should be able to take on instructions. It could work brilliantly if handled correctly. 

55 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

I haven't seen enough of Grimmer but lets not dismiss people simply because they are playing in the lower leagues.  I know its not normally the case there but there are some good players.   I think particularly of Graham Alexander, spent most of his career in the lower English leagues and only made his debut with us when he was in his 30s(?) but he did a very decent job.  Similarly after the Boy Wonder / the next Wayne Rooney aka John Fleck left Rangers he spent a long time kicking round the lower leagues of England before getting international recongition.

Just looked up the facts there on Alexander.

He was 30 when he made his debut against Nigeria back in 2002. Ended up with 40 caps by the time he was last called up in 2009. It helped that he could play right or left back and defensive midfield. Shame he never got the chance to take one of his famous penalties for us.

Also without doubt one of the proudest guys to have played for Scotland this century and a first rate professional too.

Too much emphasis is put on where a player plays as to how they will fare at international level football.

We could reel off loads of players who played at big clubs at the highest level but flopped for Scotland just like you could reel off several players who never cracked it at the highest level of league football or played at unfashionable clubs but done a great job for us. 

Edited by Caledonian Craig

10 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Too much emphasis is put on where a player plays as to how they will fare at international level football.

We could reel off loads of players who played at big clubs at the highest level but flopped for Scotland just like you could reel off several players who never cracked it at the highest level of league football or played at unfashionable clubs but done a great job for us. 

I think your first list will be a fair bit bigger than the second.

12 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I think your first list will be a fair bit bigger than the second.

For sure but at times those players at lesser clubs were outperforming players playing at a higher level at international football. Point being that just because there is a Championship player with no top flight experience it by no means guarantees he is a worse option for us than a player playing in the EPL or SPL.

My point being that some players adjust and fit international football better than others.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

8 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

For sure but at times those players at lesser clubs were outperforming players playing at a higher level at international football. Point being that just because there is a Championship player with no top flight experience it by no means guarantees he is a worse option for us than a player playing in the EPL or SPL.

Scottish championship? 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

He's not keen?? Bloody hell I'm not keen - 26 games in the EPL and one goal. We have midfielders in that league with a far better strike rate.

He'd still walk into our squad sadly. He tells Clarke he wants to play for us and he would be called up. 

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

How far does this extend to? should we try Scottish league 1/2 players.

If the player merits it then no it should not matter. Northern Ireland are now qualifying for tournaments even though they cast their nets down to the 3rd tier of English football. It has not done them any harm.

6 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

He'd still walk into our squad sadly. He tells Clarke he wants to play for us and he would be called up. 

Perhaps. And would flop - no doubt. It is more a sad indictment of us than it is for how good he is. Heck Chris Martin's stats hold up better than his and we all know what Scotland fans think of him as a player.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

If the player merits it then no it should not matter. Northern Ireland are now qualifying for tournaments even though they cast their nets down to the 3rd tier of English football. It has not done them any harm.

So you would happy pick players from Scottish league 1 and 2 or non league in England?

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Perhaps. And would flop - no doubt. It is more a sad indictment of us than it is for how good he is. Heck Chris Martin's stats hold up better than his and we all know what Scotland fans think of him as a player.

Sadly we dont have better strikers available. 

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

Sadly we dont have better strikers available. 

Yes we do. We have been over this before. We have at least five strikers available to us at present who have displayed a desire to play for us (Adams has not) and actually scored at international level. I'll stick with them thanks.

2 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

That's not what he said.

Why do you always twist other posters answers ?

I haven't twisted his words, I asked him a simple question and he has answered. Personally I wouldn't want players picked from Scottish league 1 and 2 or players from English non league. 

Yes we do. We have been over this before. We have at least five strikers available to us at present who have displayed a desire to play for us (Adams has not) and actually scored at international level. I'll stick with them thanks.

You can name 5 strikers? Shankland has scored 1 goal v san marino part timers, is that really international level? 

Adams desire to play for us has zero relevance to this discussion. 

Edited by mccaughey85

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

You can name 5 strikers? Shankland has scored 1 goal v san marino part timers, is that really international level? 

Yes it is. Much as though you may hate to admit it. It exceeds the international level Adams has played at for England in two matches and not found the net.

Yes it is. Much as though you may hate to admit it. It exceeds the international level Adams has played at for England in two matches and not found the net.

San marino would get pumped by English championship teams. Shankland scoring against them means nothing.